Overly harsh ride on delivery

Hi all, took delivery of a 2.0 TDI 150 Edition 2WD earlier in the week. Had it delivered to work and driving it home the first thing that struck me was the low speed ride was very brittle, overall comfort seemed fine but it was the slow speed stuff, especially on poor quality urban streets where it felt overly harsh.

Took a look at the recommended tyre pressures on the inside of the fuel filler cap and it recommended 2.4 bar for normal driving (3 adults and luggage). Fully loaded with people and luggage it says 2.7 bar. I used my own Halfords electric pump and sure enough all 4 wheels were at 2.7 bar (one at 2.75 bar).

Lowered the pressures to 2.4 bar, reset the tyre pressure monitor through the infotainment and took it for a spin and have to say the difference was pretty amazing. No longer did it feel like it was skipping over ruts and bumps, and it actually felt comfortable (I have 19" Triglav wheels).

So there you go, unless you're max'ing the land capacity, and you're not entirely happy with the ride check you tyre pressures against the recommended pressures on your car and it could make a big difference to the way it drives.

• Like 1

I was lent a brand new Rapid when my Superb went in for a service. I bounced my way home and did the same as you, checked the pressures. 50psi in all four tyres. When I phoned the dealer to explain the situation it  had apparently been in their show room and they had dragged it out for me to use... they use such high pressures to stop flat-spotting the tyres and someone had forgotten to check the car over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 15:04, andyvee said:

They come from the factory with ridiculous pressures in them for the same reason

Didn't know that.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll check it when it arrives.

Moff

• 2 weeks later...

It has been reported that 19" are a little on the harsh side withouth DCC, although that with the tyre pressure is funny. Tyres max inflation is at 28bar (says right there on the rubber, might vary though between different manufacturers/models), keep them between 24-25 bar at room temp (cca 20 degC) for optimal use, that's my experience.

According to the info in the fuel filler cover, 2.5 bar. I don't like bar, less precise :p

I checked mine, they came with 37-38 psi all round, (dealer had swapped rubber onto the craters for me). dropped them to 34 all round for normal use, will increase to 36 when I go on hols with luggage and 3 adults, 3 kids.

My car is running the Hankooks on 19's.

Ride on standard was OK, but I have grown to like the comfort mode, especially with the roads this way.

It does feel like the oil (I assume they have oil in them) in the DCC shocks takes a mile or 2 to warm up and work its best.

I like bar :P It's easy to convert from bar to Pascals to N/m2.

1bar = 100kPa (0.1MPa) = 0.1 N/mm2

All shocks have oil in them, DDC only makes them stiffer/softer. It's not like air suspension where you have special air filled shocks and bellows.

You are correct, when oil heats up to operating temperatures it becomes less viscous and flows softer.

This is how they work:

http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

Edited by McGyles

4 hours ago, McGyles said:

I like bar :P It's easy to convert from bar to Pascals to N/m2.

1bar = 100kPa (0.1MPa) = 0.1 N/mm2

I like psi. It's easy to convert to psi.

1 psi = 1 psi. :) 

• Like 3

This is DDC in action

I prefer air-suspension.

Air-suspension:

- better comfort ride

- you can lift the vehicle

DDC:

- you can stiffen the suspension for sport driving

- cheaper

- less complex