Connecting Nexus 4 SmartPhone to 2014 Yeti

Coul

How do I connect a Nexus 4 SmartPhone to my 2014 Yeti?  The Radio Bolero manual is useless and the Owner's Manual has nothing relevant.  Do I need a USB connection?  Do I need an App on my phone?  I assume the connection is BlueTooth.  I once saw my Phone recognise the car's BlueTooth but since then it has been invisible.  I assumed that I needed to press Phone/SetUp on the Radio Bolero but nothing comes up that makes sense.  I have been using PCs running Windows and Linux and have had Android phones and I have got most other things sorted, but this one is defeating me.  HELP please!!  

1st thing, is the Nexus 4 compatible with your Bolero infotainment system?
Have you made the Yeti and your phone visible to each other on bluetooth?

I connected my Nexus 5 to my 2014 Octavia with the Bluetooth on Amundsen ice.

If it's the same then make sure the phone is discoverable by switching on Bluetooth and opening the Bluetooth  settings settings, leave that open and go to the yeti settings for the phone, it should search and pick it up, then you just select it. Done. You can set up favourite phone numbers if you want.

It only does phone calls on my car.

I can't play back music etc.

It needs to be compatible. 2010 Yeti worked with phone at the time but not when I upgraded phone in 2013. Then phone was fine in the new 2014 car

I suggest you take 2 deep breaths, calm down, and start again from the very beginning !!

When in phone setup mode, can the bolero and the phone see each other via bt ?

If not, story ends !

If yes, then proceed to set up.

It's not rocket science.

Thanks everyone, I have taken 2 deep breaths...

I tried again, ensured that BlueTooth is enabled on my phone, switched on ignition and my Nexus 4 recognises SKODA_BT and get message on my phone 'cyclops is visible to nearby devices while Bluetooth settings is open' - I would assume that the Bolero therefore has Bluetooth, wherelse would that SKODA_BT come from (and there's not another Skoda around for at least 1000m).  I also get a pairing code which I assume I need to key in to the car, but HOW, WHERE, there's no keyboard.  

How?  When I ask my phone to pair something seems to happen and then I get a messsage of incorrect PIN or Passkey (on my phone), no change in the screen of the Bolero. 

Seems to me that the Bolero BlueTooth is not 'discoverable' or 'visible' even though I can see it on my phone but the Bolero screen does not change.  I checked my phone could pair with my laptop, my laptop displayed the same PIN as on my phone, not where the PIN comes from, my phone or the laptop (or Bolero).  If I could set the PIN on my phone to 0000 or 1234 it might work but at this point I don't know how to do that.  It seems to me that the only way to get this technology to work is to have a brand new phone and a brand new car, my car and my phone are both ~3 years old so to my mind they ought to work but my phone has been through so many operating system (Android) updates nothing now surprises me!  But getting to work would be a surprise...

You don't need to change the pin !

It's not a 'pin' as such, that's not it's purpose, it's merely to confirm that you're trying to link the two devices that you think you are by confirming the same number is shown on those two devices.

It does take a few minutes/attempts to get pairing sometimes, what do you see when you press "display results" whilst attempting pairing?

Edited by graham47

I hust watched a YouTube video, the knob on my Bolero (bottom right) does nothing as his does, I do have the words Phone and implications that I can do 'set up' and I have a SKODA_BT BlueTooth signal (which I assumed came from the Bolero) and the manual supplied indicates it should be able to  be used with phones - so, has my Bolero not been 'enabled' for BlueTooth or something like that?  Phones seem ok therefore the issue is definitely within the car?

Thanks for your comments.  I am aware that there can be phone incompatibility issues but neither my phone (Google Nexus 4) and her ladyships (Smasung <12 months old) are seen by the Yeti BlueTooth but both can see the Yet SKODA_BT signal.  But my Bolero doesn't seem to behave in the way that the manuel suggests nor the on-line videos or indeed the comments I have received so far - for which I am very grateful.  What seems to be lacking is any explanation of any variations in Bolero configurations, options etc., all of the Skoda manuals (and it's the same for other manufacturers too) give the impression that a car has electric heated seats, retractable mirrors etc etc., when these are available only with certain 'grades' of car.  I was tooking at a pre-war (World War 1) Ford a few weeks ago, life was much simpler then...! 

Had problem when my LG Nexus 5x wouldn't connect to Yeti Bluetooth  and Tablet wouldn't connect.

Reset networks on Both Android Devices, RESULT IS ALL OK.

Hope this helps

The other important thing to remember to do when trying to connect is to watch the 'phone not the Bolero. The is a message which the 'phone receives which has to be acted on almost immediately.

• Like 1

SUCCESS !!!   HOORAY !!! 

I had made sure that my phone had Bluetooth enabled, that the ignition was on and the Bolero.  I then switched off the ignition and made sure phone was switched on, Bluetooth enabled.  Then swicthed on ignition and using the MAXI DOT display (the small rectangualr one one seen through the steering wheel in the centre) and keeping an eye on my phone (ignore the Bolero display) and using the buttons/dial on the right side of the steering wheel rotate and press the buttons/dial, when the 'No paired phone' is displayed go to 'New user' and press the buttons/dial and the pairing process, it can take a wee while but eventually you should see the pairing message and pin displayed which should also be on the phone.  Accept the pairing and I should now be good to go.  I realise my mistake was to try to use the Bolero display, I ignored the steering wheel function.  I am not used to 'hands free' phones in a car and assumed that anything on the steering wheel duplicates what's on the main display.  I can't believe it took me so long on Friday and yesterday and this morning it took about 30 seconds.  

Summing up, watch the phone, make sure BT is enabled and the phone can 'see' the car's BT, use the MAXI DOT display and the buttons/dial on the steering wheel.

Then having successfully paired can one look at the Bolero, add in numbers, call information etc..

Thanks all for your help.  

• Like 4

I've only just seen this thread, and indeed mine is very similar - although I have an Amundsen plus rather than the Bolero.

It appears that my bluetooth system (although Skoda) is not part of the Amundsen system, but is a separate unit under the drivers seat? The Admunsen onscreen  pairing setup for the phone does not work - I have to use the Maxidot to pair with the phone. Once that is done it all works - music streaming too! 

Edited by muddyjim