Most ideal Spark Plugs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232036315533

Ive just fitted these to mine. It's stage 1 and normal plugs are all that is needed for that. 

I was surprised that although the ones I took out had only done 33k and looked ok, my economy has jumped from 30mpg to 36mpg on my commute. Not sure how the standard plugs would last 60k. 

One thing, although plugs allegedly come pre-gapped, always double check. One of mine was slightly out. 

Edited by Metblackrat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meaty101 said:

Are those plugs for a standard car or are they the cooler ones for a map?

They're standard ones which are good for standard and stage one. NGK don't recommend cooler ones until stage 3 ish iirc. 

• Like 1

I've just checked on NGK website and checked the number. According to them, the plugs as quoted for the vrs is PFR7S8EG. The upgrade plug is IFR7X8G. These are for the 2.0 tfsi engine. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by meaty101

Having been in your shoes a few weeks ago I did my research, it's not worth upgrading from double platinum to iridium plugs.

The NGK part number you quote is correct. I went for Bosch as they are of a comparable quality but were about £7 cheaper than ECP who were the cheapest for NGK. 

9 hours ago, meaty101 said:

I've just checked on NGK website and checked the number. According to them, the plugs as quoted for the vrs is PFR7S8EG. The upgrade plug is IFR7X8G. These are for the 2.0 tfsi engine. Can anyone confirm?

Those are the NGK aftermarket products they recommended using their checker, yes.  The genuine fitted product was double platinum either NGK or Bosch and suggested 60k mile interval IIRC.

The full iridium upgrade plug is probably overkill unless you want even higher service interval than original fitment. 

The Iridium IX plug planehazza referenced is also commonly used, even though it doesn't appear on their product chart for your engine. They are a combination plug i.e. traditional ground electrode, iridium centre. They won't last a full 60k miles but most people tend to change well before. Depends on what service interval you want to use on the plugs really. They can usually be picked up under £30 for a set, a bit cheaper than the double platinum.

As said, genuine will give you a double platinum made by either NGK or Bosch and about £15 each per plug AFAIR.

5 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

'Simply Clever',

Buy the correct DENSO spark plugs for your car, you know it makes sense.

Give NGK / VW/Audi OEM plugs a swerve. IMO.

Not that I'm arguing or doubting you, I'm, just curious to know just how much difference it would make on a road car?  I've always been under the impression the NGK stuff is well regarded; how much performance/longevity could one gain by going to DENSO instead?

• Like 1

Loads.  Loads of no issues with failing spark plugs.

Why often Audi Techs fit them to TFSI(TSI) Engines.  Quality Spark Plugs.

eg.

1.4tsi Twincharger, we know they burn out one spark plug, especially NGK , VW/Audi OEM ones.

Bottom are OEM @ 15,000 miles. Top DENSO from same engine @ 30,000 miles.

post-86161-0-38944400-1476714122.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

AFAIK Denso offer three plugs for the BWA / CCZA which mirror the three options being discussed here for NGK. Double platinum, part iridium or full iridium. So there are still the same choices within that brand.

The BKR7EIX is even on the cross compatability for the IK22. I've never had a problem using NGK or Bosch but in a specific application, like the twin charger engine that had certain "issues" I can see how some may have had a proven brand preference.  I just haven't any experience of encountering that situation.

Personally, I would be ok with Bosch/ NGK or Denso options. The Bosch genuine double platinum items I pulled out at 38k / 5.5 years looked fine. When I take the NGKs currently fitted out, I'll post those but they are Iridium IXs, so I shan't go past 30k miles.

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.0c35a585da66ec33716b28fc91919d39.JPG 

• Like 1

£26.95 (for four) plus £1.5 shipping (says £2.75 shipping but applies £1.5 by the looks of it), from Opie oil seems very competitive and there is something to be gained from buying from a reliable trusted seller, which I would agree, Opie is. Assurance that you are not getting some reproduction clone of what you actually wanted..They do seem to carry the Denso and NGKs items as well, but the Bosch are a very good price on their listings.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-214169-bosch-double-platinum-spark-plug-0242245576-single.aspx

1 minute ago, TheClient said:

£26.95 (for four) plus £1.5 shipping (says £2.75 shipping but applies £1.5 by the looks of it), from Opie oil seems very competitive and there is something to be gained from buying from a reliable trusted seller, which I would agree, Opie is. Assurance that you are not getting some reproduction clone of what you actually wanted..They do seem to carry the Denso and NGKs items as well, but the Bosch are a very good price on their listings.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-214169-bosch-double-platinum-spark-plug-0242245576-single.aspx

That is very good! I bought the R8 reds and NGKs from Awesome for ~£122 which I thought was good, but they took £10 for postage too.

6 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Loads.  Loads of no issues with failing spark plugs.

Why often Audi Techs fit them to TFSI(TSI) Engines.  Quality Spark Plugs.

eg.

1.4tsi Twincharger, we know they burn out one spark plug, especially NGK , VW/Audi OEM ones.

Bottom are OEM @ 15,000 miles. Top DENSO from same engine @ 30,000 miles.

post-86161-0-38944400-1476714122.jpg

I'm presuming those plugs came out of a twin charge 1.4 tsi ? Imo, no matter what brand of plug you use, an engine should not burn out a spark plug like it has on the first plug on the bottom row and i would suggest that engine had a few serious issues. Looking at the colour of the top plugs it looks like it's running lean. However, all denso plugs look a different colour. I have also used NGK plugs for years and never had a plug burn out like that. I'm not sticking up for any one brand I'll buy plugs of any well known brand depending on value for money.

Really,  

i would never have thought that, NOT,  VW, Skoda, Seat & Audi should have asked your opinion, the 2nd Biggest Car Manufacturer in the world seemed to not be aware of that.

i thought that over 25% of the 1,800 CAVE engine Fabia vRS sold in the UK & built 2010-2012 had replacement engines fitted and then some of those replaced purely by back luck 

and not because of VW Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Materials & Components & Quality Control Failings 

& Consumables & Software failings.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

A good Map not from VW or REVO, and good plugs not OEM, not long life oils, and use super unleaded petrol and they do not have to have the one spark plug fouled and cooked and failing.

Vorsprung durch tecknik.  Pity VW never advanced much through technology.

Pics,

Also of OEM plugs from 1.4TSI Twinchargers and taken from Threads / Posts that have been running since 2010 & are still running 7 years later.  Same happened from 2013 with the Upgraded engines, change of plug type and reduced gap as per TPI's.

post-124982-0-73138000-1418736903.jpg

post-90108-0-52290900-1360794795.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

Well, always try to verify correct plug according engine code and year, 1.8 TSI needs different ones than 1.4 TSI etc.

As example, for EA888 engines (1.8 and 2.0 TSI) were recommended and fitted on assembly line plugs Bosch and NGK. According current ETKA they seem to left NGK and prefer Bosch now. Always wins the best volume price...

I am sure with that much oil in the cylinder as on photo above would give up any spark plug.

Yet, UK site of NGK say that IFR7X8G is one for upgrade, but German say it´s for Renault ... Also its resistance is higher, 5KOhm instead of 1KOhm

https://www.ngk.de/nc/en/product-finder/produktfinder/////IFR7X8G//

https://www.ngk.de/nc/en/product-finder/produktfinder/////PFR7S8EG//

In case I go for upgrade, I would go for LPG plug, which must survive higher temps. In this case PFR8S8EG

Edited by rayx
  • Like 2

That is your German Manufacturer, they will stick with German Manufacturer as in NGK or Bosch, or Bosch Software, or Continental Tyres,

or what ever the best / cheapest deal is on, even recommend English Oil's even if from an Indian source.

The one thing for certain is that you are never going to know because VW recommend something if it is best because they will change it as required and issue a TPI if needs must, but that is never guaranteed.

VW use Billions of components and consumables that never cause issues, but even 1% failure or 2% failure of Billions is Millions of failures.

They are penny pinchers in everything but Golden Handshakes, Fines, Court Settlements, Media Spin Doctors and advertising how reliable everything is.