Flashing glow plug light / start stop error

I wonder if any of you have had this issue. This morning I started my Octavia Tdi vRS and the glow ply light started flashing and a message something like "start stop system error" flashed up on the MFD. I turned the car off and on and it all cleared. The car has been running fine since and start/ stop has been working ok too. 

I've searched on the forum and found a post on the Fabia section that said it could be EGR issues. Has anyone with an Octavia had tbis? Anything to worry about?

Thanks for your help!

Flashing glow plug light indicates a general engine fault so its difficult to guess without reading error codes.

"Stop Start Unailable" or something like this just indcates that StopStart cannot run because of the fault behind.

What year is your car from?

Cars built around 2014 had a common fault with the boost pressure sensor connector, which first caused flashing glow plug & then a couple of trips later the MIL & limp-home.

Thanks for your reply. My car was built in April 2015 I think. The same issue happened again this morning twice. And also another time when I had stopped at some lights the start stop activated and then a couple of seconds later the car started again and the same error came up. I'll have it booked in at the dealers. 

If it is the boost pressure sensor issue, its a known problem & a quick fix.

My car was at the dealers less than an hour before I had a call telling me it was ready for collection.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CramVRs said:

did you rectify this issue?  mine is currently suffering with the same problem

Trip to the dealers I think.

What year is your car from? around 2014 it seems likely to be the boost pressure sensor but a flashing glow-lamp can mean many things so its difficult to say with reading the error codes.

I had a DTUK CRD3 box fitted to my car when the issue happened. I removed the box over the weekend and the warning hasn't happened again. I think it must have been something to do with this. I haven't been to the dealers about it. 

I have noticed though that my car is doing DPF regenerations every few days for about a week or so now. I'm not sure if this is connected to this, if it's another issue or if this is just normal in the hot weather we are having.

6 hours ago, SM8475 said:

I had a DTUK CRD3 box fitted to my car when the issue happened. I removed the box over the weekend and the warning hasn't happened again. I think it must have been something to do with this. I haven't been to the dealers about it. 

I have noticed though that my car is doing DPF regenerations every few days for about a week or so now. I'm not sure if this is connected to this, if it's another issue or if this is just normal in the hot weather we are having.

I had exactly this too mate. Took my box off, didn't do it again...

16 minutes ago, toni8b said:

Maybe aircon if working overtime which can be mistaken for regen.

Oh that makes sense I guess in this weather. I had it again on my way home from work. Rev counter showed 1k rpm at idle. I'll keep tabs on it and see if I can spot a pattern

1 minute ago, Legend said:

I had exactly this too mate. Took my box off, didn't do it again...

Hmm I wonder if dtuk know about this?  I might contact them. Not good having just spent £300+ on the box! Have you put your box back on?

2 hours ago, Legend said:

No not yet, checked the faults it has a sporadic fuel pressure fault. 

Waiting to see if it comes back, I've had my box set on 2-1 for nearly a year..

Is your car DSG? Diesel or petrol? I've had this happen frequently whilst running the same DTUK box on my vRS TDI. Must have tried every setting and it seems I can't go above 2-2 without issues.

Mine is DSG and I'm sure that's partly to do with it - the only thing these instances seem to have had in common is changing manually with the paddles. Bloody dangerous if it were to happen mid overtake.

Restarting usually clears it, but I have occasionally had to clear faults with VCDS, and as above, they were fuel pressure related, but strangely they seemed to indicate low pressure? I would have expected the opposite?

Manual vrs tdi. 

2-1 is the only setting mine behaved on. 

Restarting it cleared mine. I had multiple fuel pressure faults. 

i suspect the low pressure faults are because the ecu interpretation of the readings are being mislead by the DTUK..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SM8475 said:

Oh that makes sense I guess in this weather. I had it again on my way home from work. Rev counter showed 1k rpm at idle. I'll keep tabs on it and see if I can spot a pattern

There are lots of reasons for the idle to run higher, its not only regen...

- AC is on & hot ambient conditions/high AC load

- the engine/exhaust/intercooler is hot to increase coolant & cold air flow

- vehicle is moving slowly

- clutch pedal is not fully depressed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2017 at 21:51, Legend said:

Manual vrs tdi. 

2-1 is the only setting mine behaved on. 

Restarting it cleared mine. I had multiple fuel pressure faults. 

i suspect the low pressure faults are because the ecu interpretation of the readings are being mislead by the DTUK..

Hi did you get this sorted?  I've had my box off for a few weeks now and there's been no recurrence of the warning lights.  i contacted DUTK and because I bought my box second hand they won't talk to me about it apart from saying that they have seen this issue happen and it usually is due to misuse of the box!  Not sure how I misused the box given it had been in the car for over a month and worked fine.  I might try refitting the box again and see what happens.

It's going back in tomorrow for further diag. I've not had any issues since removing either.

Misuse? I don't suppose they elaborated on what? I've had it fitted for 9 months with no issues?!?! Mine is also second hand so clearly not gonna get any joy there then. 

3 hours ago, Legend said:

It's going back in tomorrow for further diag. I've not had any issues since removing either.

Misuse? I don't suppose they elaborated on what? I've had it fitted for 9 months with no issues?!?! Mine is also second hand so clearly not gonna get any joy there then. 

No they didn't say exactly what they meant by the misuse of the box! Only thing I can think of is maybe having the box set on too high a setting. Though this is not likely as I had mine on 2-1 since I fitted it. Maybe the high temperatures may have caused it? I'll refit at the weekend and see if it happens again. 

Let me know how your diagnostics goes. 

Cheers

Sanjay

• 1 month later...
On 03/07/2017 at 21:38, SM8475 said:

No they didn't say exactly what they meant by the misuse of the box! Only thing I can think of is maybe having the box set on too high a setting. Though this is not likely as I had mine on 2-1 since I fitted it. Maybe the high temperatures may have caused it? I'll refit at the weekend and see if it happens again. 

Let me know how your diagnostics goes. 

Cheers

Sanjay

Hi. I bought my box direct and was so impressed i bought a pedal box as well  . I too drive the diesel 184 and twice mine has gone into limp mode with the box but only when it has been set on +3 on any of the settings just doesnt like the boost setting for some reason. All other settings work flawlessly The reason i bought the box is due to warranty . I have made contact with DTUK and yes the response i got was yes its set up too high. It worked for about 100 miles on the higher setting then threw up the fault. All i did was stop , ignition off and set a lower setting the all is good . Scan with vcds  then the fault never reoccurs 

In fairness anyone thinking of a purchase i would buy the pedal box as i probably wouldn't have bought the tuning box as well as the power is a bit much and ive just gone through a set of tyres at 13000 :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2017 at 13:21, SM8475 said:

Hi did you get this sorted?  I've had my box off for a few weeks now and there's been no recurrence of the warning lights.  i contacted DUTK and because I bought my box second hand they won't talk to me about it apart from saying that they have seen this issue happen and it usually is due to misuse of the box!  Not sure how I misused the box given it had been in the car for over a month and worked fine.  I might try refitting the box again and see what happens.

On 7/3/2017 at 18:14, Legend said:

I've gt a second hand one too, but I'm sure another member bought a used box, sent it back to DTUK and paid to have it updated with latest files. My logic for buying used was to check it works OK with my car, and I'd not lose anything if it didn't and I sold it on. It seems that there is a wide range of compatibility between cars - some are ok with a +3 setting, others won't tolerate anything more than 0! If mine is OK on +1 or even 0 reliably with no issues, even when I hammer it, then I'm fine with paying extra to get it updated and also tap into the tech support hopefully

That said, so far, I've done two 250 mile journeys, one at 2+1 and the other at 1+1. I've just tried 1+2 and 2+2 and nothing happened untowards in a quick ten mile test route, 2+2 is quite interesting.

• 4 months later...

Update on this, worth sharing my experience. On +1 and +2 power settings I got the warning lights - coil and EML. Reset box to 0 and it's been fine (I use programme 2) for last 15k miles. I got an OBD2 reader which shows a continuous sensor warning code, mentioned this to dealer this week at first service but they couldn't find anything at all in the whatever logs are saved. I'm going to try 2+1 again and see how it goes, as the performance gains with 2-0 are not particularly great.

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hope this helps with your problems.

There will be many concerns as always when a light comes on the dash, thankfully if its yellow it's still ok.

Usually with the "Error Stop-Start Sytem" with a *Glow Plug* flashing generally means it's 80% chance it's the "Oil Pressure Switch" which costs around £20.

That said, it could also be something else. A diagnostic usually finds the fault.

• 1 year later...
On 28/12/2019 at 14:35, Stephen1965 said:

Hope this helps with your problems.

There will be many concerns as always when a light comes on the dash, thankfully if its yellow it's still ok.

Usually with the "Error Stop-Start Sytem" with a *Glow Plug* flashing generally means it's 80% chance it's the "Oil Pressure Switch" which costs around £20.

That said, it could also be something else. A diagnostic usually finds the fault.

Hello there i,m having this problem with my car i had it towed in a couple of months back to a garage they could not find a fault as the lights had cleared and it was running fine i have done 3 trips to London since and 1 to Leeds and 1 to Manchester last friday i,m still getting the problem mostly when driving round town.I note your saying its the " Oil Pressure Switch" someone else further up the post said it was the " Boost Pressure Sensor Connector" is that the same thing or something different i,m confused,all i know is its getting very frustrating.Any help will be greatly appreciated.