Honda Battery...?!

Hi,

Need a new battery for my 56' 2.0 TFSI vRS. Have looked on ECP and online but crikey they aren't cheap! For some reason I had in my head about £40 :)

In my quest for a good quality affordable battery, I have stumbled across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132081207380 

£63.99 delivered and says it's a Varta 096 (so I'm assuminh the E44 model?).

Doesn't have my engine listed under the petrol Octavia option in description but hoping it would work?

Seems similar to what is being discussed here: 

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Woody :) 

Anyone...?

I'm confident it should be okay, described as 096 with specs as follows:

AMP HR - 77

Length - 278

Width - 175

Height - 190

Picture of item appears to show 'E11' and CCA 780 on the battery which is odd as the Ah of 77 & CCA of 780 are the specs of the E44, often recommended on here from the research I've done. Also only comes with 3yr warranty, which is what the E11 is whereas the E44 has 4yrs.

I phoned Swansea Honda who couldn't tell me anymore other than what's on the advert!

Shall I take a punt?! £64 for what possibly is a honda branded Varta E44 inc next day delivery is much cheaper than anywhere else online...

Cheers,

Woody

Usually you can get 40% off at a weekend at ECP so can get most items a lot cheaper. As for the Honda Battery. If it is the same physical dimensions, has the same CCA and Amps then it will be fine.

Edited by Ecomatt
Missed word
  • Like 1

Yes, GSF and Eurocar part book price are pretty high without a discount and if you need to purchase without it feel like you're being ripped.

I think the prices have gone up significantly in the last year, like £20 added on, for 096 batteries, even at lowest on line type prices you can find.

I bought a Duracell DA74 from ECP them with 30% discount July 2016. £82.99 before discount,  just under £60 with discount. Looked at dimensions, it is a type 096 so same as what you list. Looked on ECP now, unless my eyes are deceiving me it says £147.99!!!  Wow that is some increase in list! 

Tanya batteries seem to offer consistently decent prices. The E44 on there is £75 plus 8 delivery, 

I couldn't get your ebay link to work for some reason, so not sure if it has ended or been removed.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

Jap cars quite often have the terminals the opposite way round. 

Yes, I had a look at that, as far as I could tell it was ok. Neg left, Pos, Right.

4 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Usually you can get 40% off at a weekend at ECP so can get most items a lot cheaper. As for the Honda Battery. If it is the same physical dimensions, has the same CCA and Amps then it will be fine.

Hi, thanks for responding :)

The equivalent Bosch battery is £165 (096 S4) from ECP!! So even with 40% off it's still quite a bit more expensive :-/

Yes the physical dimensions appear the same as other 096 batteries, CCA & Amps I'm not sure what the OEM/standard numbers should be but surely higher is no bad thing?

5 hours ago, TheClient said:

Yes, GSF and Eurocar part book price are pretty high without a discount and if you need to purchase without it feel like you're being ripped.

I think the prices have gone up significantly in the last year, like £20 added on, for 096 batteries, even at lowest on line type prices you can find.

I bought a Duracell DA74 from ECP them with 30% discount July 2016. £82.99 before discount,  just under £60 with discount. Looked at dimensions, it is a type 096 so same as what you list. Looked on ECP now, unless my eyes are deceiving me it says £147.99!!!  Wow that is some increase in list! 

Tanya batteries seem to offer consistently decent prices. The E44 on there is £75 plus 8 delivery, 

I couldn't get your ebay link to work for some reason, so not sure if it has ended or been removed.

Hi mate thanks for replying. Yer I know, can't believe how much the prices have gone up?! £165 for a Bosch S4, crazy money. All the searches I have done on here from a year or so ago were recommending the Varta E44 or Bosch S4 for around £60...I wish!!

Yes I'd heard good things about Tayna, £84 for the E44 certainly does seem the best price online.

I've posted the eBay link again above, hopefully you can see it now? For £64 it seems pretty decent, everything seems right about it in terms of size and spec...

3 hours ago, StevesTruck said:

Jap cars quite often have the terminals the opposite way round. 

Should still fit the Octavia tho right? If they're the 'wrong way' round, do the cables reach?!

3 hours ago, Woo7dy said:

Should still fit the Octavia tho right? If they're the 'wrong way' round, do the cables reach?!

Usually not.

Don't worry about what car it is listed for.  as long as the dimensions & terminal position are the same, you'll be OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

Usually not.

Don't worry about what car it is listed for.  as long as the dimensions & terminal position are the same, you'll be OK.

Yes the dimensions work as 096 is confirmed by ECP and numerous posts on here as a comfortable fit. Terminal position appears the same as far as I can see...

IMG_4848.PNG

IMG_4849.JPG

It all looks fine as far as I can tell. You'll know 101% once you receive it. Depends if you want to pay £20 more for 1 more year warranty.  Seems decent deal though... It is a car battery.....

• Like 1

I have the same one you mentioned fitted to mine. It was an uprated one for me as mine is a petrol engine but it slots in fine and the cover still fits. 

Edited by Metblackrat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheClient said:

It all looks fine as far as I can tell. You'll know 101% once you receive it. Depends if you want to pay £20 more for 1 more year warranty.  Seems decent deal though... It is a car battery.....

Ha cheers buddy, I'm hoping to pocket the difference to be quids in (as you say, circa £20!) I ordered this morning and Honda say will be with me tomorrow so yes all being well, I'll be firing on all cylinders tomorrow (so I don't have to drive the wife's Punto...!!)

1 hour ago, Metblackrat said:

I have the same one you mentioned fitted to mine. It was an uprated one for me as mine is a petrol engine but it slots in fine and the cover still fits. 

Ahhhh that's great to hear MBR, hopefully should arrive tomorrow, I'll get it fitted and update on here if successful. Certainly is a much cheaper option than online car part retailers like ECP etc, a great saving IMO! Cheers :)

Fitted the battery yesterday, fired up a treat first time and car feels great having done a few journeys now :)

Was quite a snug fit as others have said with the larger 096 size so padded sleeve was a little short in wrapping round but just used a cable tie to join it together.

All in all, very pleased. Can definitely recommend this battery. Considerably cheaper than ECP etc and higher rated at 77ah and 780cca, Varta branded :)