Engine oil flush yes or no ???

malibu200786

Hello I've just bought a mk2 Octavia vrs 2.0tfsi . 

I've just got oil + oil filter + air filter ready to do.

Was just wondering after being in eurocarparts , is it worth doing a engine oil flush before I did the oil change ?

Can these do more harm than good on turbo engines due to moving deposits around or damage/clog any other parts ?

Also are the fuel additives any good like the injector cleaners etc etc ?

20 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

My personal preference is to stay away from oil flushes, just keep the car well maintained and you will be fine.

Completely agree, 

regular oil and oil filter changes .

Bit off topic but I'm getting 18.5 mpg out of my 2.0 tfsi .

Is this really bad ?

That's just normal driving and its the mpg reading which stays at a steady reading , not the display what goes up and down all the time

2 minutes ago, malibu200786 said:

Bit off topic but I'm getting 18.5 mpg out of my 2.0 tfsi .

Is this really bad ?

That's just normal driving and its the mpg reading which stays at a steady reading , not the display what goes up and down all the time

I usually chuck in a bottle of redex or similar every few tank fulls or when its on offer. 

Doesnt make any difference to the running of my car but i think its a placebo effect that because it says it does so many good things for the injectors that i believe it.

@malibu200786 - Unless you have a specific reason to think that there's unusual muck in the oil, the nearest you need to go to a "flushing oil" is to drain the oil and refill with a mineral oil. Run for 1_000 miles and then drain, change filter and refill with a good branded oil to the VAG 500 number.

V-Power, Momentum etc will give you better power in an engine with adaptive knock mapping, or in one that's been mapped for 99 Octane.

Wih regards to what mpg your computer is saying... take it with a pinch of salt.

mine says i get above 65mpg + on the way into work and about 58mpg on the way home.

When i fill up and work out the miles covered to litres used it normally between 52-58mpg

Edited by Alexh4551

39 minutes ago, Alexh4551 said:

Wih regards to what mpg your computer is saying... take it with a pinch of salt.

mine says i get above 65mpg + on the way into work and about 58mpg on the way home.

When i fill up and work out the miles covered to litres used it normally between 52-58mpg

But is yours the TDI ?

Mines the 2.0 tfsi

So mines probably about 10-12 mpg , that's is not good . 

I was told that the 2.0 tfsi is quite efficient for a 2.0 turbo .

Obviously no diesel in mpg but you know not as bad as you would expect.

I put £25 in of vpower @ 1.28 a litre , the gauge was on just top of the reserve and it took it to half a tank , when it gets to the top of the red again I will see how many miles my trip says ive done.

If I'm getting really poor mpg what could it be ?

8 hours ago, malibu200786 said:

So mines probably about 10-12 mpg , that's is not good . 

I was told that the 2.0 tfsi is quite efficient for a 2.0 turbo .

Obviously no diesel in mpg but you know not as bad as you would expect.

I put £25 in of vpower @ 1.28 a litre , the gauge was on just top of the reserve and it took it to half a tank , when it gets to the top of the red again I will see how many miles my trip says ive done.

If I'm getting really poor mpg what could it be ?

Regards to your mpg, has it been serviced recently? Tyre pressures at the right pressure? 

@malibu200786 - You can't measure mpg like that and hope to come up with a meaningful figure. You have to start off with a repeatable volume, and the only way to do that is to fill the tank until the pump pressure return clicks off, then measure the mileage to the next fill up using the trip odometer.

• Like 3

Yes do an oil flush.

Get the oil in up to operating temperature, let it cool a little then drain it.

Enough of a flush unless there really is sludge in the engine, then that was a dodgy buy if there is.

PS

Tesco Momentum 99 is 5 pence a litre more than Tesco Unleaded 95 ron, and 99 ron minimum.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ is 99 ron minimum, comes in as the same base fuel as Tesco Momentum that Greenergy inport with shared facilities with Royal Dutch Shell.

Both have Detergent Packages and are what they say they are Super Unleaded.

Why not try both and see and see if the Momentum @ under £3 a tank extra over 95 ron is worth it, 

or the Shell V-Power Nitro+ at another £3 extra a tank is.

PPS

Please do not use Long Life Oil in your TSI, (VW504 00) just get the correct spec of Oil for fixed servicing.

(yes Long life does Variable and Fixed, but then TSI's can have issues and VW Group are lying cheating barstewards

and recommended Castrol / Quantum is pretty ****e really.  Cash Cow Golden Goose.)

VW 502 00 and do oil and filter changes every 9,400 miles or less.

(Long life oil does not mean superior oil, better additives or anything like that, just an oil that was produced to suit Manufacturers and 

longer service intervals, maybe not to any advantage of the longevity of a TSI.)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by Awayoffski

@Awayoffski

PS +1 from me
95E wins for tank, but not in mileage
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432836-which-one-to-get/?do=findComment&comment=4880202

PPS RE:
me too vote to avoid declared service's intervals, but can't blame Long Life Oil -
i had about 0,5l on 100km better consumption

On 5/31/2017 at 12:50, MartiniB said:

producers declared intervals are calculated to faster kill your car!

first oil change i made on 6 000km(dealer without asking filled long life, 5w30 SynPower XL-III 15€/l)

all next planned on each 10 000km(on second change i asked to use non long life, in papers were 5W40MXL All Climate 10€/l)

maybe placebo(foot changed weight or colder season), but with long life i saved 0,5l on each 100km of 98E (~50€ less on 10 000km)

after each 8 000 engine asks adding 1l

not decided yet when change in DSG, on 30 or 40 000km instead asked 60

If you brim the tank and then go 180 miles and it needs 10 gallons to brim it and it is just normal driving then there is something wrong.

If you do not zero the 'Average' on the screen and start afresh then showing 18mpg means nothing.

Sit with the engine running for 30 minutes and it might show 11 mpg but you never went 11 miles your were stationary and it never used 4.546 litres of petrol.

How do you zero the average mpg ? Do you mean the mpg reading with the little circle with the line through it next to it?

I put in £25 of shell vpower at £1.28 , it took the gauge from the top of reserve to half a tank . I reset the trip meter at the petrol station , and when the needle had got back to the top of reserve my trip said I had done 90 miles 

And the mpg display said around 18.7mpg all the way , all around town and country lanes not been on the motorway yet .

I didn't have time to drive to my nearest tesco station yesterday so I did put £30 at asda drive thru at £1.11,

Now its back on half a tank 

But the mpg reading went straight up to 27.7mpg but after 10 miles has dropped to 20mpg.

I rarely go past 3.5 thousand revs because I've drove diesel for years so not used to taking the engine past it , tho I have done a bit of foot down but only a little blast and still only up to about 4.5 - 5 thousand revs .

@malibu200786 Look closely at the end of the wiper stalk. You will see a 3-way rocker switch on the end, and a button labelled "reset" on the underside of the stalk. Switch the ignition on, then press reset and hold for 3s. All trip computer functions will now be zeroed.

Yea I found the OK/reset button , I didn't know it reset the mpg as well lol .

Gone back up to 26 now but I've not been in it for long this morning . 

If I am getting poor mpg , because on my last half a tank I only managed 90miles to the top of reserve line , what could it be?

Will it be running too rich?

I'm 25miles into my 2nd half a tank so will have to see how many I get this time, 

I've just changed oil + filter and air filter .

How dirty was the air filter malibu ?

Also what sort of distances do you normally drive ?driving patterns can have huge effects on mpg.

Edited by YS53

On a second hand car I would use an engine flush. With modern semi-synthetic oils you do not get the same sludge as you do with mineral oil but it can still leave deposit on the engine internals. Just look inside the filler cap into the valve cover to see if there is oil deposits left behind. Follow the instructions which normally involves adding the engine flush then keeping the revs around 1500rpm for 15mins. Then drop the oil and it will be hot. Poor some clean oil through the engine to ensure that all the old oil and flush is removed. You will notice how much cleaner it is when you refill the oil through the valve cover. It always amazes me how much quieter the engine will run after a flush rather than just an oil change. However I wouldn't use it every oil change but on the major services or when first getting a second hand car.

I've used BG44k on the wife's Mini Cooper S when she had it and that made a it run a lot smoother and improved the MPG a bit. The equivalent BG244 for diesels makes a much bigger difference to the MPG.  

On 22/06/2017 at 11:15, YS53 said:

How dirty was the air filter malibu ?

Also what sort of distances do you normally drive ?driving patterns can have huge effects on mpg.

The air filter was metal lined panel filter type looked okish but its hard to tell without dipping it in petrol to clean it .

I've done a service now got all the stuff from eurocarparts,

I put £30 of asda petrol in a few days ago @ £1.10 so 27litres = 6 gallons and just covered 120 miles

My mpg screen is saying 25mpg after doing a short motorway trip from Bolton to Manchester and back , but it has stayed on 25mpg since .

But I've worked it out at only doing 20mpg

Could it be possible MAF sensor I've read engine doesn't have to be on 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2017 at 19:37, malibu200786 said:

The air filter was metal lined panel filter type looked okish but its hard to tell without dipping it in petrol to clean it .

I've done a service now got all the stuff from eurocarparts,

Can I assume that your air filter is not bog standard ?