Estate Rear bump stops perished

Hi

Just been picked up on my first service on the Elegance estate 170 DSG the rear bump stops are perished. Is this an an MOT fail?

the car has done 90k. Based on all my VAG cars they always go sooner or later. 

Is this an easy replacement?

Found them on eBay I am sure TPS will have them too. 

Is it strut off job or just shocks, never had an estate car before, maybe different ?

I've just had my service, with exactly the same spec. of vehicle (less DSG), and the bump stops have perished at 68k miles. I was told they could be replaced for £244.

Having had a look around, it looks like a strut off job to make it easier. AFAIK, it isn't an MOT failure though

20 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I've just had my service, with exactly the same spec. of vehicle (less DSG), and the bump stops have perished at 68k miles. I was told they could be replaced for £244.

Having had a look around, it looks like a strut off job to make it easier. AFAIK, it isn't an MOT failure though

I took a look at the car on the drive whilst parked. Couldnt really see it. Maybe some disintegration started. I have an MOT in a month or 2. If it's not a failure will see what it looks like on the ramp. Having had them done in the Octy the shock came off independently and the bump stop was inside. From what I could see the Superb suspension seemed to look the same from afar. 

I did mine a couple of years back about 20 for the stops and 50 for new shocks.

basic tool set is sufficient, just need some mole grips or similar to pinch the top of the shocks to remove the nut that holds the top mount.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, at least I don't need to worry about the MOT. They may last ages too. I did notice the rear of the car gets a little jumpy over uneven roads when these go, previously. Not the most expensive parts either. On my list of things to do.

What shocks are recommended on these cars if replacing them at the same time? Heard Bilstein B4 banded about on here?

I want OEM really, as the ride is pretty harsh on 18" wheels so no sports suspension replacement parts. 

16 minutes ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Here are mine at 95,000 miles. I presume they on the way out?

IMG_1342.JPG

Looks like very early signs of them just falling apart. Since my 1997 Golf, I would have thought VAG would have found something not made of marshmallow for this. I remember replacing 2-3 sets on that hatch. 

• Like 1