Which Fabia?

I've been looking into getting a Fabia, a cheaper one hence posting in the Mk1 section. Hoping my questions could be answered by trawling through the forums on the Fabia but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, forgive me if I've not looked hard enough.

I'm currently looking at in particularly the 1.4TDI engined Fabia and the 1.2 MPi petrol.

I've had diesels before (not Skoda) but know very little about the mentioned TDi engine, is it a good lump or not the one to go for?

The 1.2 petrol, which one is better (reliable) I believe there are different power outputs of this engine?

Thanks in advance.

That honestjohn article is full of nonsense.

Inadequate drainage from door bottoms leaves water slopping about in there causing condensation.

It's nothing to do with inadequate drainage in door bottoms. Water does not 'slop about' in the bottom of doors either.

Several incidences reported of glass in rear hatchback shattering.

Never heard of that happening.

Problems reported with hydraulic clutch master cylinders where fitted rather than cable clutch.

There are no MK1 Fabias with cable clutches.

Another cause of damp inside the car, especially the rear footwells, is the old VAG problem of failed plastic damp proof membranes inside the doors.

There are no plastic membranes on the doors.

In common with most VAG cars, the control unit for the windows and locking lives inside the driver's door, which is a very wet place and where it is vulnerable to moisture ingress and often fails.

The control unit for the windows does not live inside the door.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2

If you go for a 1.2, I suggest a 12-valve (twin cam) one, not just because of the higher power, but because my amateur epidemiology (reading t'internet, mainly this forum) study of exhaust valve problems suggests that it is less common in the 12-valve than the 6-valve.  There are a couple of reasons why this might make sense: no EGR on the 6v, so higher peak temperatures in the combustion chambers in cruise conditions, less valve-to-valve-seat contact area in the 6v due to half the number of valves compared to the 12v (so poorer cooling of valves).  The 12-valve engines do still pop up from time to time on here with valve trouble, but my impression is that it's far less common.

The 1.4MPI is a good bet for simple reliability, as is the 1.9 TDi from what I've heard. Any reasons why you haven't considered either of them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

If you go for a 1.2, I suggest a 12-valve (twin cam) one, not just because of the higher power, but because my amateur epidemiology (reading t'internet, mainly this forum) study of exhaust valve problems suggests that it is less common in the 12-valve than the 6-valve.  There are a couple of reasons why this might make sense: no EGR on the 6v, so higher peak temperatures in the combustion chambers in cruise conditions, less valve-to-valve-seat contact area in the 6v due to half the number of valves compared to the 12v (so poorer cooling of valves).  The 12-valve engines do still pop up from time to time on here with valve trouble, but my impression is that it's far less common.

The 1.4MPI is a good bet for simple reliability, as is the 1.9 TDi from what I've heard. Any reasons why you haven't considered either of them?

Good call on the 1.2, I absolutely agree that two smaller exhaust valves will be much better cooled and will not expand and contract compared to one big one. I don't think the 12V suffers burnt valves at all, only timing chain problems.

Thank you so far folks.

As one above post I don't really have any particular favourite as far as engine choice, I'm pretty easy regards that, I just want the most reliable lump.

As far as other stuff goes, I'm pretty handy so minor niggles or replacing stuff that you get with some of these ageing models I can most likely sort.

So a 1.9TDi better to go for than 1.4TDi and on the petrol side 1.4 better than a 1.2 12 valve?

Yep I need a little help regarding engines, I'm a bit lost since way back when I had a Felicia and came back to Skoda when I bought a Citigo.

1 minute ago, MickA said:

Yep I need a little help regarding engines, I'm a bit lost since way back when I had a Felicia and came back to Skoda when I bought a Citigo.

The Fabia 1.4 mpi 8 valve has basically the same engine as the 1.3 Felicia only it was slightly modified for the Fabia. They fitted hydraulic tappets and obviously increased the capacity from 1.3 to 1.4. They are still pretty slow and suffer from rattly timing chains but they are pretty reliable. Head gasket problems can sometimes occur but they did introduce a modified head gasket and I've had no trouble with mine.

1.2 12valve is a decent engine. Mine ran fine and never had any real issues. Quite torquey low down considering its size and power output. The later ones with BME engine code do not have an EGR valve and also have the revised timing chain tensioners. Regular oil changes and not letting the oil level drop at all will make them last a long time.

afaik the 1.4tdi is a 3 cyl version of the 1.9tdi and has more problems.

SDI probably the most bullet proof engine but slow and gearboxes are prone to failure after a while

35 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

1.2 12valve is a decent engine. Mine ran fine and never had any real issues. Quite torquey low down considering its size and power output. The later ones with BME engine code do not have an EGR valve and also have the revised timing chain tensioners. Regular oil changes and not letting the oil level drop at all will make them last a long time.

afaik the 1.4tdi is a 3 cyl version of the 1.9tdi and has more problems.

SDI probably the most bullet proof engine but slow and gearboxes are prone to failure after a while

When were the BME coded engines introduced?

Although I'm only an occasional driver of my wife's 1.9 tdi I have similar in my Octavia both have done exactly what it says on the tin, but in the Fabia it certainly puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, it really is like driving a jackal and hyde car, ideal for pottering around or like a little pocket rocket ours averages 55+ mpg ( wife can get near to 70 mpg and she doesn't drive like a nun on a Sunday if she has a mind too ) try to buy a good well service example I'm sure you won't be disappointed 

Ah, no love for the 1.4 16V petrol offerings?

Edit:- maybe honest john got confused with the later, roughly 2009 Ibiza, they love to store water in their doors - if you open the doors of one of them and water does not pour out, it must be drought season - if that ever happens, oh it just has!

Edited by rum4mo

From reading on here the 1.4 TDI is not as reliable as the 1.9 TDI as it the chain driven oil pump can fail. Apart from that, I dont think there are any issues unique to the 1.4 TDI. I have had mine for over 3 years now and it has been pretty reliable, mileage is around 162k.

Edited by Dazza95