VW Arteon

8 hours ago, Coops said:

I like the look of it. I'm ready for something different now - thinking that when my Superb is replaced in 3 years I'll go for something else. 

If I'm honest - I'm bored of the Superb now.

Same for me... i did drive the Arteon and it is realy good looking and the Interior even tho its almost the sam as Passat, it is nice looking.

The car is definitively on my top 3 list when i get a new car

41 minutes ago, kezwald said:

Bet you miss it already ?

No, frankly.

I'm 70. I keep fit, but I could never handle the weight of the FJR. I preferred the FJ1200, except for the chain. Even so, I had three FJRs (one was written off) - it's a terrific touring machine and even fully loaded (tank bag, full panniers, top box, wife) you could still carve the twisties.

I've come off a bike on many occasions over the past 50 years, twice at speed, and always walked away. But, in 2010, a kid in London commuter traffic pulled a snap U-turn in front of me and his front bumper caught my left foot. Put me on crutches for a few weeks and sort of took the fun out of biking for me. I didn't like to think that could happen with my wife on the back. (Actually, she misses the bike more than I do!)

I am really enjoying good tunes, air-conditioned luxury, sat/nav, ACC and being able to transport five plus cargo. And, the Sportline takes off when you put the pedal to the metal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

I'm 70. I keep fit, but I could never handle the weight of the FJR

stopped riding a large bike at 69-Well done take my hat off to you:)

On 6/30/2017 at 10:01, FRSkoda said:

M- for example the thickness of the bodywork metal means that panels don't flex when you press them..

Have seen this quoted before as a reason why Audi are better.  The flexing is more due to the shape and curves of the panel, these days no car manufacturer is going to penalise themselves in terms of performance and economy by making panels thicker than they need to.  Why do you think spare wheels are disappearing! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Have seen this quoted before as a reason why Audi are better.  The flexing is more due to the shape and curves of the panel, these days no car manufacturer is going to penalise themselves in terms of performance and economy by making panels thicker than they need to.  Why do you think spare wheels are disappearing! 

My guess would be to some extent yes, weight loss is important for all manufacturers, but so too is the premium feel of their vehicles and thus there is always a balance. I have found even on supposedly strong curves my superb has picked up dings and dents from car parks that I never seemed to get with my audis mercs, vws or porsches in the past. In addition when you polish it major panels flex - such as the c pillar and the panel to the side of the boot; these panels are pretty thin. The unladen weights would also support the suggestion that body in white weights are lower for skodas than premium vehicles - skoda superb 2.0 4x4 l&k 1580kg, VW arteon with the lighter petrol engine is 1716kg and a 2.0 d 4x4 merc eclass saloon is 1735kg whilst a base model Bently continental is 2295kg! with points to a pretty close link between increasing premium status and increasing weight.. The other factor here is how much skoda is willing to use complex variable thickness panels, complex pressings and lightweight metals which cost more than traditional pressings - I suspect there is quite a cost saving here cf mercs and audis and probably even compared to VW.. so not only do skodas weigh less, but they are alos less likely to use expensive weight saving metal techniques - further amplifying the quality difference. This isn't a criticism of skoda you get what you are willing to pay for and for the same price as a basic e class I have a fully loaded superb - my choice and I'm happy with it.

As regards the thin panels bit if we could get data on body in white weights, and indications of where special composites, low weight metals and variable thickness and complex mouldings have been used for each car we would have a definitive answer...but I rather suspect this is commercially sensitive...

New 2018 Superb Sport Line looks more like Mercedes with BIM III B) (1:44)

Edited by Croat

You mean MIB3? Thats not a MIB3 unit... its still MIB2, just different screen and slightly different software - skin. Can also be done on some MY2017 to look the same, and also you can swap the screen without changing the Infotainment computer in the glow box   

Oh and the MB E Class looks also different inside :) 

And here a Picture of the E and Arteon inside 

20170623_143913.jpg

20170628_140027.jpg

Edited by Blindek

Liking the inside of that Merc - really makes you see how far behind VW are in the tech stakes.

And do VW really have to persist with the analogue clock! 

EDIT: See Merc also have them.

Edited by Coops

Well the MB is my Business car with AMG Interior (Leather dash etc.) and the Arteon i only had a Test drive. The Arteon is well made and in its own way does look premium inside 

Mercs do have some very low rent materials dotted around though.  E class is a step up but despite looking nicely set up the A and C class interiors have a lot of recycled Fisher Price in there. 

In fact, MB are starting to go the way of Kia and Hyundai...it all looks very smart and many boxes are ticked but it just never feels as good as it looks. The only problem is Kia and Hyundai are achieving this on the way up, whilst MB are on the downward trajectory.  

Do like the latest E Class though..

EDIT:  The dual display on the E class is an option right?  Carried over from the S Class. 

Edited by penguin17

Yes both are a Option, and with my AMG package the dash is in leather, with open cell wood, and so on... the Superb is 2 classes below that, but also costs half as much :) 

And the Diesel engine on the Merc while you do hear it from the outside, inside it sound better then the Petrol (did drive both).

Same goes for the Arteon, it is just a lot better insulated and inside you don't hear it no were near as in the Superb. 

And i don't care how it sound from the outside, because i sit in the Car :) Oh and most Petrol engines now days also sound horrible from the outside... you hear a weird "tk tk tk tk tk tk".... like a Ducati where you think its falling apart :P 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

They've just released the pricing for the standard 2.0 Tdi elegance ....

£34,305.

Admittedly it's the DSG version, but that's £8000 more than my 2.0 tdi SE-L hatch. It's competing against some really, really good cars at that price bracket, especially if discounts are tight to start with

They seem to be pricing themselves out of the fleet market given the P11d value. Shame as they look good.

I agree - starting at €44K here in Ireland and once you add DSG, metallic plus a few extras, you're heading towards €50K, which is right into E-Class/5-Series territory.  It will have its niche though and its looks might help carry some sales for them.  Having said that, Superbs are not cheap anymore either and mine was €42K (admittedly with DSG and some extras) which is getting steep.

Edited by Superb170

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I test drove an Arteon today and must say its a very nice place to be. Lots of standard kit over the Superb such as heated seats and front sensors. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2.0TSi Sportline but now not so sure, especially as VW are offering a great PCH deal £50/month less. Can't find any good deals on Superbs.

If we had the new spec engines and dash displays in the Superb I think I would stay but even with a 190 PS engine the financials make sense. I am going to try a 220PS Sportline first though.

12 minutes ago, CJSVRS said:

I test drove an Arteon today and must say its a very nice place to be. Lots of standard kit over the Superb such as heated seats and front sensors. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2.0TSi Sportline but now not so sure, especially as VW are offering a great PCH deal £50/month less. Can't find any good deals on Superbs.

If we had the new spec engines and dash displays in the Superb I think I would stay but even with a 190 PS engine the financials make sense. I am going to try a 220PS Sportline first though.

L&K has front and rear heated seats and front sensors as standard.

The Arteon looks pretty sharp to my eyes and interior wise is a big step up from the Superb.  There are already some good leasing deals available on the 2.0 TSI R Line DSG.  it has a decent spec and yours for around £280 a  month on a 3+23 deal, pay a bit more deposit and you'll get it down to under £250 a month.

2 hours ago, Shhhkoda said:

The Arteon looks pretty sharp to my eyes and interior wise is a big step up from the Superb.  There are already some good leasing deals available on the 2.0 TSI R Line DSG.  it has a decent spec and yours for around £280 a  month on a 3+23 deal, pay a bit more deposit and you'll get it down to under £250 a month.

This is what I'm finding but you do have to add on paint (even the white costs) and I need a towbar too. Waiting on a price for an L&K with met paint & towbar - interestingly being offered better deal on a 280 4x4.

Seen my first Arteon in the flesh today.  Well... I think it's one of those cars that look better on screen/in a mag.  It was in silver and just didn't look right. 

The new Insignia is completely ruined by the rear passenger window being plastic instead of proper glass.  Well there's something on the Arteon that does the same but I can't put my finger on what it is. 

They certainly overworked the grill/bumper/front end. Looks like they couldn't decide which car to emulate. The rest looks decidedly Škoda-ish. Might have something to do with that thread about VW thinking Škoda is too successful within the group. "How dare you sell more Superbs than Passats."

21 hours ago, teebs said:

Looking around, lease prices for the Arteon Elegance v Superb L&K are broadly the same, Superb potentially a fraction cheaper.

Where are you seeing the L&K similar? Currently getting quoted £60/month more on a 2.0TSi L&K Hatch(£364) over a 2.0TSi Arteon R-Line(£307). Only adding metallic paint and towbar.

If I could get same price I'll stick with Skoda.

Also, what do you get for your money with the Arteon compared to the superb.   I specced up an Arteon R-Line to match the superb I've ordered and it came to £47k. the only things the Arteon had that the superb didn't was the virtual cockpit screen instead of dials and DCC, both of which came as std. Also the gearbox was a 7 speed DSG where the same engine in the superb only has a 6 speed.

Yes it's probably made of nicer materials and slightly thicker steel, but is it worth £10k more?  probably not.