Hoping to become an Octavia owner but disappointed

So, my employer is scraping the company cars and giving us a car allowance. Great i thought i can get an Octavia!

but....with an allowance that means i have £12k to spend they have stipulated the car must be renewed when it's 5 years old!

this has meant me looking for a car with a 65 & upwards plate and one thing i need it to have is cruise control - this is where it gets difficult.

Looking through a well known online car trading site, not one of the Octavia's in my price bracket has cruise control - i am amazed!

Seeing as it's perfectly designed for mobile workers etc why haven't Skoda adopted cruise control as a standard?

So now i'm having to look at probably an Insignia :(

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/skoda/octavia/skoda-octavia-1-6-tdi-cr-se-5-door-dsg/7157633#/description

I'd give these guys a call and ask if the SE has cruise control as it seems to be fairly well specced already. Regular cruise control can be retrofitted (AFAIK); adaptive cruise control can't...

Failing that, the Simpsons Skoda site lets you filter cars that have cruise control (use refine search, advanced, cruise control)...

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/used-vehicles/7433261-skoda-fabia-1.2-tsi-monte-carlo-dsg-5dr-start-stop/

Edited by bomski

thanx for the links but no joy :( the first link looked promising as lots of spec but as per usual no cruise.

as i mentioned in my first post, i am amazed that Skoda don't see it as a standard requirement.

The second car (Fabia) was listed as having cruise control, despite it not being on the spec sheet. Cruise is usually an option because lots of areas in the UK are residential and therefore cruise is impractical. I'd contact a dealer to discuss your needs before you make a decision.

Given you have to get a new car after 5 years, would some sort of PCP/PCH deal be a better way of getting the car?

Also how serious is your company about the 5 year rule? My old place had the same rule, but were still giving me an allowance for a 10 year old focus. They knew the age of the car as well, as I had to show them insurance and MOT documents each year.

On 7/1/2017 at 02:10, superby03 said:

So, my employer is scraping the company cars and giving us a car allowance. Great i thought i can get an Octavia!

but....with an allowance that means i have £12k to spend they have stipulated the car must be renewed when it's 5 years old!

this has meant me looking for a car with a 65 & upwards plate and one thing i need it to have is cruise control - this is where it gets difficult.

Looking through a well known online car trading site, not one of the Octavia's in my price bracket has cruise control - i am amazed!

Seeing as it's perfectly designed for mobile workers etc why haven't Skoda adopted cruise control as a standard?

stay well clear  of a insignia a pile of junk that will let you down they cant even make them watertight. i bought one (16 months old) put the body kit and 19" alloys on it but the build quality of the car was shocking. i had a few issues with it went to sell it a year later and found it very hard to sell the car even at a low price. never again!!

On 1 July 2017 at 02:10, superby03 said:

How about mine? Maybe a bit too much? It has adaptive cruise though :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Octavia-vRS-TSI-DSG-300ps-VIDEO-/112465993033?hash=item1a2f7edd49:g:1igAAOSw9~5ZWRC0

On ‎01‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 13:23, superby03 said:

as i mentioned in my first post, i am amazed that Skoda don't see it as a standard requirement.

Its an easy way to make money as they know 60% of people will pay to upgrade.

Its an common marketting technique for German manufacturers like a 3series which "starts at" the price of a low-spec Focus but then you have to pay to add a Radio, alloy wheels & it ends up actually costing 40k etc