Spare Wheel Kit

survey

In process of buying a 1.2tsi. Present car (140tdi 4x4) was originally ordered with a full spare wheel kit. My daughter may well decide to have our old Yeti but we both need spare wheel kits, So can anyone tell me:

Are the supplied boot floors compatible with spare wheel kits - thus I could just order a new kit for the new car and retain its supplied boot floor?

Do the spare wheel kits comprise a jack (or is that supplied with every car anyway) as well as wheel brace, spacesaver, wheel centre screw in support, and all 4 surrounding box compartments (3 around the wheel and one underneath)?

Are wheel nut plastic covers still supplied with new cars and the plastic removal tool?

Edited by survey
item added

The boot floor is the same, 2 or 4WD. The difference lies in the plastic boxes that surround it.

If the car is bought with just the foam then it does not get a jack or wheel brace. The kit contains everything that you need.

Yes, new cars come with the covers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

The boot floor is the same, 2 or 4WD. The difference lies in the plastic boxes that surround it.

If the car is bought with just the foam then it does not get a jack or wheel brace. The kit contains everything that you need.

Thanks for this. Our new one will only foam. So does the kit include the 4 boxes that are in our present car or is one or more of these in the foam version?

37 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

I had foam in mine, but they didn't put in the valve removal tool, so couldn't use it.

Shambles.

Turned out I had a complete Tyre blow out so it would have been useless anyway, wouldn't be any pressure to make the paste expand :D

The kit is in 2 parts

•  The wheel on its own. (same wheel for all models)
  •  Boot floor with carpet, storage boxes and tools. Brace, Jack and center screw. mine came with another tool for the nut covers.

(now there are 3 versions of floor kits; 2wd, 4wd and a new one for cars with Adblue)

Your new car should come with just the foam&compressor, towing eye, wire hook, locking wheel nut key, nut cover remover, screwdriver and Torx key. All this transfers into the tool storage under the wheel.

15 minutes ago, RickT said:

The kit is in 2 parts

•  The wheel on its own. (same wheel for all models)
  •  Boot floor with carpet, storage boxes and tools. Brace, Jack and center screw. mine came with another tool for the nut covers.

(now there are 3 versions of floor kits; 2wd, 4wd and a new one for cars with Adblue)

Your new car should come with just the foam&compressor, towing eye, wire hook, locking wheel nut key, nut cover remover, screwdriver and Torx key. All this transfers into the tool storage under the wheel.

Does the boot floor not just get reused at a higher level on top of the storage boxes? Or is the floor different?

The existing boot floor is just carpet. the one in the kit has wood panels stuck to the under side. It is different at the front to accommodate the extra height and for how it is fastened in place.  

15 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Not the same carpet as the boxes fix to it at the back. Are you getting new like the DRIVE if so spare wheel comes as standard 

It's a SEL Drive but dealer tells me it's foam and not spare wheel kit. Car hasn't arrived yet so have to see. If that's so, then a spare wheel kit would have to include a new floor.

16 minutes ago, RickT said:

The existing boot floor is just carpet. the one in the kit has wood panels stuck to the under side. It is different at the front to accommodate the extra height and for how it is fastened in place.  

Ok. So would need another floor with a spare wheel kit.

Think seriously about this - do you really want/need a spare wheel? If your daughter gets your Yeti do you really want her changing a wheel by the roadside, a most dangerous activity and not recommended with traffic streaming by inches from where she might be attempting to change a wheel with less than perfect equipment. The recommendation to get away from the disabled car into some safe area is not for nothing, many people have been killed in/near broken down cars. Join the AA then get them to come and replace the wheel with one of the multi fit spares they now carry. She will also enjoy a boot one third bigger without the spare wheel.

Do you need one either? In the days before mobile phones you maybe had no choice but to change a wheel yourself but now we are always in contact with help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickT said:

15 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Think seriously about this - do you really want/need a spare wheel? If your daughter gets your Yeti do you really want her changing a wheel by the roadside, a most dangerous activity and not recommended with traffic streaming by inches from where she might be attempting to change a wheel with less than perfect equipment. The recommendation to get away from the disabled car into some safe area is not for nothing, many people have been killed in/near broken down cars. Join the AA then get them to come and replace the wheel with one of the multi fit spares they now carry. She will also enjoy a boot one third bigger without the spare wheel.

Do you need one either? In the days before mobile phones you maybe had no choice but to change a wheel yourself but now we are always in contact with help.

Indeed we both want a spare in the car. My daughter has been caught out with a gashed tyre and the AA said how helpful it would have been if she had a spare. Plus remember that just because you have a spare doesnt mean you have to change the wheel yourself.Us abroad need one as often miles away from civilisation and if one tyre has to be replaced they will insist on 2 new ones across the axle. I would rather be able to swap a wheel over at 2am in mid Europe than wait forever for a breakdown service!

Edited by survey

22 minutes ago, survey said:

Indeed we both want a spare in the car. My daughter has been caught out with a gashed tyre and the AA said how helpful it would have been if she had a spare. Plus remember that just because you have a spare doesnt mean you have to change the wheel yourself.Us abroad need one as often miles away from civilisation and if one tyre has to be replaced they will insist on 2 new ones across the axle. I would rather be able to swap a wheel over at 2am in mid Europe than wait forever for a breakdown service!

I keep hearing this comment, but can assure that I have found NO legislation in any of the EU countries that insists on it. 

Edited by Llanigraham

This isn't the overriding consideration. It is a matter of convenience really. Another option. Spare wheels only really deleted for the green emissions brigade!

I have had three yetis since 2010 luckily no punctures and have just removed the spare from my new one -for me the more convenient boot space outweighs the small risk of being temporarily held up waiting for breakdown service. The only time I have tried to use the supplied wheelbrace I couldn't get the wheel off and with my trolley jack and extended brace the locking wheel nuts defeated me. So delete locking nuts and carry a long bar and it may work but a lot of issues unless you are in a clear, safe and well surfaced are with decent distance from active traffic.  

6 minutes ago, JCP said:

I have had three yetis since 2010 luckily no punctures and have just removed the spare from my new one -for me the more convenient boot space outweighs the small risk of being temporarily held up waiting for breakdown service. The only time I have tried to use the supplied wheelbrace I couldn't get the wheel off and with my trolley jack and extended brace the locking wheel nuts defeated me. So delete locking nuts and carry a long bar and it may work but a lot of issues unless you are in a clear, safe and well surfaced are with decent distance from active traffic.  

Agree about the locking wheel nuts. Wheelbrace works OK for me but I do change the wheels over each year to winter ones so the nuts get used and are correctly torqued up. We live in a rural area and punctures are a constant threat due to hedge cutting etc. Remember on one occasion my wife had a puncture (Fabia), called RAC and after several calls and no response she called me and I went out and swapped the wheel over (apologies from RAC and compensation). 

1 hour ago, survey said:

This isn't the overriding consideration. It is a matter of convenience really. Another option. Spare wheels only really deleted for the green emissions brigade!

Not so, boot space is reduced by a third with the spare wheel. I had the spare on my first Yeti (never used it) but just bought my second Yeti and had the adjustable boot floor instead of the spare. Amazing how much more boot room there is and suitcases now stand vertical so everything fits in boot rather than having to use back seats etc.

I get free AA cover for 3 years with new car and as AA now carry adjustable spares which fit most vehicles then I will rely on that in the very, very unlikely event I have a puncture.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Not so, boot space is reduced by a third with the spare wheel.

Not so.  The brochure says boot space w/o spare is 416l, with is 322l.  That's less than 25% lost by having the spare.  And don't forget that the plastic boxes that support the raised boot floor also provide storage space.

Sliding the back seats forward or even just moving seat back forward from the fully reclined position often helps to accommodate bags and boxes that otherwise look as if they won't go in the boot.  One of the really useful features about the Yeti IMO is the load flexibility.  I suspect that the varioflex seating was one thing that Skoda were really keen to retain in the Karoq.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Not so.  The brochure says boot space w/o spare is 416l, with is 322l.  That's less than 25% lost by having the spare.  And don't forget that the plastic boxes that support the raised boot floor also provide storage space.

Sliding the back seats forward or even just moving seat back forward from the fully reclined position often helps to accommodate bags and boxes that otherwise look as if they won't go in the boot.  One of the really useful features about the Yeti IMO is the load flexibility.  I suspect that the varioflex seating was one thing that Skoda were really keen to retain in the Karoq.

Depends which way you calculate it! 94L difference so 94/322 is a 29% reduction - okay my 1/3 was an approximation. Moving the seats forward and setting the backrests upright works with or without the spare wheel so can't be counted except that without the spare wheel moving the seats forward releases top to bottom extra space. Having had the spare and now without spare believe me there is much, much more useable room in the boot without the spare wheel.

For those living in urban areas with lots of traffic to avoid and excellent mobile phone coverage, not having a spare wheel is a fair option.  However, I live in the countryside with little traffic and no mobile coverage for mile after mile, so would not contemplate not having a spare wheel.

You pays your money and makes your choice!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simon D said:

For those living in urban areas with lots of traffic to avoid and excellent mobile phone coverage, not having a spare wheel is a fair option.  However, I live in the countryside with little traffic and no mobile coverage for mile after mile, so would not contemplate not having a spare wheel.

You pays your money and makes your choice!

Precisely our situation.

21 hours ago, survey said:
21 hours ago, RickT said:

Ok. So would need another floor with a spare wheel kit.

Hi Survey, the answer to your earlier post is the new floor comes in the kit, but the the old carpet has to be taken out and stored.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Expatman said:

Depends which way you calculate it! 94L difference so 94/322 is a 29% reduction

Depends whether you understand arithmetic and percentages.  You don't lose 94 litres out of 322.  Your calculation is simply wrong.  You can't use your own innumeracy to justify inaccuracy.

Rather than deploying false mathematics and bizarre rules about what does and doesn't "count" to try to prove that you're somehow "right", it would be far simpler and more honest to admit that in your opinion (to which you are of course perfectly entitled) and based upon your experience of the car in your own use case (which may well not be the same as other people's) not having a spare wheel is preferable.  It's then only a small leap to being able to accept that other people may have differing opinions which are nonetheless equally valid given their particular circumstances.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1