Problem with automatic rain sensor for wipers

Hi guys, 

All of a sudden my auto wiping for the front windscreen is not working..it was always working before..three days ago I went to London to Skegness..that's the time it stopped working..I scanned with my OBDII tool and found the following fault code

B136676.

Could anyone help me please...

5 minutes ago, automass said:

Hi guys, 

All of a sudden my auto wiping for the front windscreen is not working..it was always working before..three days ago I went to London to Skegness..that's the time it stopped working..I scanned with my OBDII tool and found the following fault code

B136676.

Could anyone help me please...

Is the option for automatic wiping still selected in the Infotainment?

Yes..as I mentioned..it was working..just all of a sudden it is not working and diagnostic result gave me a fault code relates with rain sensor.

3 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Is the option for automatic wiping still selected in the Infotainment?

Yes,automatic option is selected from the infoteinment system.

Yea..cargiant said me to get the diagnostic done and then they will pay the repair cost...

Did anyone has this problem, how did you fix it?

I believe it is a coding problem..I don't have vag diagnostic tool to match my back up coding...could anyone help me with their vag tool plz..

Good luck with that. However, on my Mk2 I never found the auto wiper very predictable or useful. I think they only kicked in a few times , very fast ,when the windscreen was drowned. My current intermittent wipers are just fine.

35 minutes ago, automass said:

Yea..cargiant said me to get the diagnostic done and then they will pay the repair cost...

Did anyone has this problem, how did you fix it?

I believe it is a coding problem..I don't have vag diagnostic tool to match my back up coding...could anyone help me with their vag tool plz..

So it was working before you changed some coding & now it has stopped?

I didn't do any coding recently..the guy who did the diagnostic said me from his experience. Sometimes it happened, that's what he said.

The only thing that I can remember is, someone hit me frm the back and it caused me little dent on the back bumper..parking sensorsaare working fine.

Edited by automass

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

Good luck with that. However, on my Mk2 I never found the auto wiper very predictable or useful. I think they only kicked in a few times , very fast ,when the windscreen was drowned. My current intermittent wipers are just fine.

ive a MK3 and i think mine has worked twice. I just use manual but will get it checked when it has its first service.

following is the fault code details scanned by OBDeleven.

09 Central Electrics

System description: BCM MQBAB H  
    Software number: 5Q0937084AA
    Software version: 0112
    Hardware number: 5Q0937084AA
    Hardware version: H14
    Serial number: 00011328203269
    ODX name: EV_BCMCONTI
    ODX version: 011001
    Long coding: 0F002942424702FB07A04082B10C07280000000000000000000000000000

Subsystems: 
        System description: WWS371 130923
        Software version: 0570
        Hardware version: 041
        Serial number:         130930074639
        Long coding: 065DDD

System description: RLFS         
        Software version: 0042
        Hardware version: 024
        Serial number: Y13M10D22H10M14S34S1
        Long coding: 02805D

System description: Sensor, DWA  
        Software version: 0315
        Hardware version: 005
        Serial number: 000000000ZY132111VXS

System description: Sirene, DWA  
        Software version: 0311
        Hardware version: 004
        Serial number: 00000000000028067897

Trouble codes: 
        B136676 - Rain/light recognition sensor Incorrect installation location
            static

NB: I don't think there is anything wrong in the coding as the long coding here i matched with the couple of months ago's one where i can not see any different. i have matched this long coding with the old one side by side and all matches fine. 

Mine seems to have packed up after having the DRL flashing reset but can't see how this would affect wipers. 

Can the car be 'reset' by disconnecting the battery for a while?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CJSVRS said:

Mine seems to have packed up after having the DRL flashing reset but can't see how this would affect wipers. 

Can the car be 'reset' by disconnecting the battery for a while?

No, everything is stored in powerless memory these days.

You'll need to put back the original coding you had from the car before your change caused the problem with VCDS or OBD11.

Sorry for late reply CJSVRS. Battery disconnecting and reconnecting method has been tested, but no luck. I took the car to Skoda, they spent 2hours but couldn't figure out what was the main fault. they needed more 2hours.

HBA and Auto Wiper not working..i don't know if all the sensors are related to each other or not.

Edited by automass

• 2 weeks later...

I know the OP has replaced his sensor but I think I found my issue. 

Today while cleaning the car I pulled on the rear view mirror and it came away. This is obviously designed to break away in event of an accident but I couldn't re-engage the unit so I removed the cover. 

I found my rain sensor was not clipped in. I guess when I had the screen replaced they never clipped it in properly and eventually it fell out. 

So all back together including the mirror and hoping its fixed now. 

But I think my problem was travel kettle. It clicked on my mind when i went to Liverpool few weeks ago. I used my travel kettle to boil the water and found out that my 12v socket stopped working. i was really panicking and eventually found out that fuse was blown (it was my gut feeling as well). now when my rain sensor stopped working, i was going to skegness and that day i used same travel kettle too.

in foot note, i used same travel kettle with my previous car without any problem..i bought it from tkmax. 

11 hours ago, automass said:

But I think my problem was travel kettle. It clicked on my mind when i went to Liverpool few weeks ago. I used my travel kettle to boil the water and found out that my 12v socket stopped working. i was really panicking and eventually found out that fuse was blown (it was my gut feeling as well). now when my rain sensor stopped working, i was going to skegness and that day i used same travel kettle too.

in foot note, i used same travel kettle with my previous car without any problem..i bought it from tkmax. 

This could be (not sure, just guessing based on the discussion in the link below) caused by a bad/broken fuse.. Hope it helps!

http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/1816/rain-light-sensor-postion-fault

I red that topic before. but mine was not the same case. My auto wiper was not working at all..it was working as intermittent (so when there was no rain, it was wiping). everything has been fixed now, but i said may be that travel kettle i used caused that problem as it did (blown the fuse) when i went to Liverpool. 

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, automass said:

Yes..my seller had to replace the hba and also rain sensor..Rain sensor is on the windscreen..

Thanks i acutally just found you other thread.
So the rain sensor worked as soon as the new model sensor was installed?

• 2 years later...
On 11/03/2019 at 21:02, automass said:

Yes..straight way.

Hello all,
So, having the error in question, only the replacement of the rain / light sensor remains?
For me, the wipers do not work in automatic mode, but the lights change correctly and the CH / LH works.

I did tests in VCDS and on the IDE05836-MAS03637 channel "rain detection sensor - rain intensity" all the time has the value of 15, no matter if the windscreen is dry or I turn on the windscreen washers.
So, in my opinion, the sensor sees rain all the time and therefore wipes the glass?