Open discussion on how the wider rear tracking is achieved on Facelift models

Hi all,

Now that there seem to be quite a few Facelift cars out there, it starts to be a good time to look at what has changed to make the rear tracking wider.

I am pretty confident that it was not the wheel offset and I think it was more a combination of hub/brake disc.

Can we take some measures and compare Facelift cars with pre-Facelift?

Also, if someone has the access to check and compare part numbers in the rear suspension and also braking system, we can see what part numbers have changed.

I am mostly starting this discussion because I am one of several persons on this forum that has shown interest in widening the rear tracking on the "older" models and I would like to avoid using spacers.

Cheers and... Let's listen your input :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marko said:

I wonder if they just used spacers :D

They didn't - I went to a dealership and made photos under to check and nothing seemed different.

I also tried to stick my fingers against the brake disk and measure how wide the hub is, and it seemed to be that the FL hub measured 3 fingers vs 2 fingers on the pre-FL... but... this was really not scientific and I hope more people can chime in ;)

5 hours ago, nkadovic said:

Disc and hub are changed

So I know now what I am gonna be doing on my next disc change ;)

Side question: They didn't happen to change the rear discs to vented, right?

And I hope the caliper is the same.

Saw a new shape Scout and the wheels definitely seemed to fill the arches better, thought it was just a wheel change so this is interesting, I want one now :-)

16 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

So I know now what I am gonna be doing on my next disc change ;)

Side question: They didn't happen to change the rear discs to vented, right?

And I hope the caliper is the same.

I don't know about part numbers being the same etc so can't help there. I'm also very new to skoda so don't have a lot of past knowledge, even of the OIII PFL. 

But, my FL vrs (2.0tdi) is a solid rear disc. 

rps20170715_150329.jpg

Can someone with a FL car please measure the size between the disc and the wheel? Meaning the space between the disc and where the wheel attaches to the disc.

I will measure mine also and report later.

2 hours ago, crazy88 said:

So you mean the length of the hub basically? Like this? If so, I'll measure mine later this morning for you. 

rps20170716_082434.jpg

Yes, that exactly :)

I will be going out in a few minutes so, I can measure mine also and then post here later when I come back in a few hours.

Just measured it as best I can without taking the wheel off. Its 41mm from disc surface. There's a slight recess where the disc meets the hub, but I measured 41 from face of disc to the wheel. Hope that helps :biggrin:

10 hours ago, crazy88 said:

Just measured it as best I can without taking the wheel off. Its 41mm from disc surface. There's a slight recess where the disc meets the hub, but I measured 41 from face of disc to the wheel. Hope that helps :biggrin:

Hmmm... It helps, but sets us one step back, cause this is from my pre-FL, which means at least the disc is the same size... In other words, it has a different suspension setup on the FL:

IMG_20170716_135045.jpg

Edited by Jaco2k
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Hmmm... It helps, but sets us one step back, cause this is from my pre-FL, which means at least the disc is the same size... In other words, it has a different suspension setup on the FL:

IMG_20170716_135045.jpg

That's a shame it's not quite so simple! 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 19:19, nkadovic said:

Disc and hub are changed

Might be the parts were revised to handle the extra load put by the new suspension setup, but for sure the measurements are the same, so... Now we need more hypothesis :)

9 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Might be the parts were revised to handle the extra load put by the new suspension setup, but for sure the measurements are the same, so... Now we need more hypothesis :)

Set video at 13:30min

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rob_e said:

have you specifically ruled out the wheel having a different offset?  That would prob be the easiest change for the factory to implement..?

The rear track has only increased 20-30 mm depending on variant. I would expect that this is probably hub / brake disc change only.

Costs to redesign wheel offset for entire range far higher than using alternative parts from the VAG parts bin?

* above is based entirely on my judgement.

Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Like 1

While I am also keen to replicate this on my MY16 1.8TSI DSG, on a practical note, will widening the track by 20-30mm really make any difference in handling? Looks I can understand!

That will propably depend on the road but when I did mine I think it got slightly better.

It can be a placebo effect though, I haven't measured lap times before and after.

• Like 2

I don't think that Skoda did it for looks - they did it to improve the handling and stability.

My car is quite "tail happy" when driving in a spirited way, so I would like it to be a bit more neutral. I think a wider rear track will help with that...