Telephone Module Faulty

Well, after a visit to my dealer yesterday they confirmed all the system woes are caused by a faulty telephone module and the replacement is an eye watering £1568........

I have the 5N0 035 730 D fitted, my question is would the 3C8 035 730 E be compatible with my 2011 Elegance Estate, I understand these were fitted to later cars?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Go for the latest module you can get. A and B iirc didn't have a Hands Free Profile and only supported rSAP. 

Takes 5 minutes to fit and can be bought on EBay for ~£200

3C8 035 730 A/B/C are pretty similar and are the replacement for 5N0 035 730 D, all four look to be Novero HT-4 with both HFP and rSAP support.

3C8 035 730 D/E are Novero HT-5 which adds a WiFi hotspot when using a compatible phone via rSAP.

If you're happy with the 5N0 035 730 D, any of the 3C8 modules listed should be fine. It might need coding for your car after fitting :)

Info taken from: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Telephone_Retrofitting

• Like 2

So I spoke to Skoda UK, who tell me they are just the importer and have no ability to give any financial help. They have spoken to my retailer, who have offered a 20% Goodwill gesture, taking it down to a mere £1200.

I asked why the module could not just be isolated so it stopped causing the 11 other faults and issues but technical say this cannot be done.

I was a little confused when she told me that Skoda UK is "only the importer" so I asked who the owners of Skoda UK are, in fact I asked if it was owned by Volkswagen to which she confirmed it, I said "I'm confused, if you are owned by VW, you cant  just be the importer, you are the manufacturer?"

She told me that they don't agree that all the extra faults created by the failing module do not constitute a fault with the car and as it is older and out of warranty it is not their problem.

Well, I think being distracted by a whole bunch of warnings and display changes is distracting for a drive and that as a potential safety issue it is their problem - so I refused to let them close the incident and asked to speak to a member of the senior management team.

Probably wasting my time I know, but I paid good money for a car that now needs 10% of its cost to me invested again just to replace a module which ultimately provides Bluetooth connectivity for a mobile phone.......

It is possible to remove the telephone module and recode the car to not expect it.

What issues are you facing as you mention 11 system errors? Might be worth getting a local member to do a VCDS autoscan and post it here.

The replacement module 3CB 035 730 B arrived today and have just fitted it - the result is nothing has changed!

At fidt it didnt recognise the phone module, then I got the message to find a phone and sucessfully paired my iPhone then got the Optical Parking System not available, Temperature settings cannot be diplayed and now its trying to connect the phone and saying no bluetooth module is found.

All in all I'm getting very very annoyed with this car and wish I'd never bought it

Have a look here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1Td73_uUUqscV3nRm5br_o89PmBU&ll=53.31854395941855%2C-3.0964442033202886&z=10

If any of the users have been online recently; worth dropping them a message and swinging by their place for an autoscan (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/5555-jaymd/ - is possible an option).

Otherwise it'll likely be difficult to help remotely for 11 faults.

Bit of beer money their way will get you the autoscan that you can post here & depending on their knowledge level might be able to help diagnose and fix the issues too

I have a 5N0 035 730 D and it kept trying to connect to my phone, unsuccessfully. Even after unpairing from the phone and turning bluetooth off. I couldn't cancel the pairing attempt, so it kept trying. First start of the day, the pairing process hogs up the MFD and will not cancel. The issue sometimes went away when the car was left locked for a while, sometimes wouldn't. I keep an eye on how fast I'm going through the MFD digital readout instead of the analog speedometer, so I wasn't having any of it. Unplugged and replugged the bluetooth module, it kept going. Unplugged it and left as is. No indication of the module missing besides the missing options related to it in the MFD menu. I have VCDS, but I see no need to code it out.

The bluetooth sucks on these cars, period. Not being able to pair through the headunit is not a dealbreaker, but the process through the MFD is unnecessarily complicated and clunky. Doesn't work half the time. If it pairs up and works, it can randomly decide to stop working. Unpairing on the car and the phone and restarting the module cures it. Most of the time. It can be picky about the phone you have too.

What sort of woes are you having? There really isn't all that much the telephony module can continuously cause. If you're having other issues with the car, even after unplugging the module, it's not related to the telephony module.

On 22/07/2017 at 19:03, valv1866 said:

At fidt it didnt recognise the phone module, then I got the message to find a phone and sucessfully paired my iPhone then got the Optical Parking System not available, Temperature settings cannot be diplayed and now its trying to connect the phone and saying no bluetooth module is found.

Some of those don't sound BT related, it might be a CAN wiring issue to the headunit or even a dying battery.

If you can, a VCDS autoscan from a local member should give some clues.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:24, langers2k said:

Some of those don't sound BT related, it might be a CAN wiring issue to the headunit or even a dying battery.

If you can, a VCDS autoscan from a local member should give some clues.

A big thank you to grumpygreg3269 who did a sterling job scanning the car. It threw up some unclearable fault codes with the Bluetooth, Infotainment, radio and navigation systems.

It went to Unit 20 in Neston for a service last week, the eBay module was coded in and worked fine and then the faults started again. The diagnosis was a faulty Can Bus Interface Module, when Unit 20 spoke to their supplier it turns out that there have been numerous revisions to this part, so it may have been troublesome in the past.

It is back at Unit 20 today for the fitment of the replacement module...........