Controversial L&K Comment...

The badging it is indeed over the top, compared to what you get over the other trims. Basically it's just "look at that car with LK badge, it's got brown colors inside". Hardly worth noticing. Maybe if LK trims would have an unique engine, better sound insulation or media systems a fugly badge would be worth having.

Just marketing trickery to make vain people pay more for the car. But forum folk here pay for the pretty colors not because they are vain, of course :)

@ionelmc Really? Maybe the spec and pricing schedules are different elsewhere in the world but for me seems a straightforwrd cost v benefits decision, certainly on the spec of car i was looking at.  

Looked across a number of different marques and models for a spec i fancied, including BMW, Audi, VW, Ford, Vauxhall, Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda and decided the the Superb 2.0 (220)TSI DSG Estate provided the car/motor/space that I wanted and then the L&K package added the extras at a price I was happy with. Certainly as being discussed on the A6 comparison thread the same spec "extras" on an A6 are significantly more. Now I would call that over the top badging.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ionelmc said:

The badging it is indeed over the top, compared to what you get over the other trims. Basically it's just "look at that car with LK badge, it's got brown colors inside". Hardly worth noticing. Maybe if LK trims would have an unique engine, better sound insulation or media systems a fugly badge would be worth having.

Just marketing trickery to make vain people pay more for the car. But forum folk here pay for the pretty colors not because they are vain, of course :)

Don't agree with that. I might be critical of the L&K branding, but that's it. The car itself, spec level, and people who choose it are all faultless as far as I'm concerned.

@Bud it's basically the old bundle marketing trick: make bundles to sell useless crap to people. Stuff like navigation or flimsy features like SLA, lane assists and other gimmicks that car designers and engineers parrotfashion nowdays. And no, L&K ain't cheaper, you're just paying more for differently colored leather seats, interior and rims. Just try configuring a car with cheaper trim and add leather seats and 18” rims - you'll see it's way cheaper.

Of course, BMW is way worse with their utterly ridiculous M-Sport trims but who cares about other brands.

It is made to appeal to some vanity - why else would the marketing devils at Skoda do the over the top badging? Sure, colors are pretty, and if you have money to spare go for the best trim, L&K is beautiful but don't delude yourself, you're paying more for the privilege of having nicer colors and a cheesy badge :)

To put this in perspective, you could have gotten a boring-colored non-L&K 280 instead of your L&K 220 :)

Edited by ionelmc

8 hours ago, ionelmc said:

@Bud it's basically the old bundle marketing trick: make bundles to sell useless crap to people. Stuff like navigation or flimsy features like SLA, lane assists and other gimmicks that car designers and engineers parrotfashion nowdays. And no, L&K ain't cheaper, you're just paying more for differently colored leather seats, interior and rims. Just try configuring a car with cheaper trim and add leather seats and 18” rims - you'll see it's way cheaper.

Of course, BMW is way worse with their utterly ridiculous M-Sport trims but who cares about other brands.

It is made to appeal to some vanity - why else would the marketing devils at Skoda do the over the top badging? Sure, colors are pretty, and if you have money to spare go for the best trim, L&K is beautiful but don't delude yourself, you're paying more for the privilege of having nicer colors and a cheesy badge :)

To put this in perspective, you could have gotten a boring-colored non-L&K 280 instead of your L&K 220 :)

Not sure how you worked that out, if I specced an SE L up to the spec of an L&K it would have come out much dearer.

Why is SLA or LA flimsy? mine works faultlessly and SLA is a no brainer for £100 (on a L&K), but nearly a grand on your ‘better lower spec’ trim level :D

FWIW mine doesn’t have any brown on the inside and the upgraded Canton was std...

• Like 2

like most things in life it eventually grows on you and you don't notice its there in the end.

I also agree it is a little ott the amount that's on the car, I would prefer just one on the rear and say just smaller L+K elsewhere externally. Interior wise think it looks quite good on the seats but not so sure about the dash.

Maybe the branding thing is like going out with a girl with pink hair and tattoos, seems a little strange initially but you get to know her and like the person.  She appeals to you as a whole and things that may have made you think twice early on are part of the complete package that you come to cherish.

Not sure if that's how I approached it as I wanted a car that ultimately is a beast of burden but also wanted some comforts and broader functionality.  Yes you pay more for certain gadgets than logic should dictate but tell me about iPhones, larger memory, massively more expensive.  All manufacturers do it and as you recognised BMW are likely the worst. But by your logic then the lowest spec and cheapest vehicle must be the one you drive, as everything else is upselling and conning the customer.

@ionelmc What do you drive? I am sure we can picks holes in your selection and say there is no value.

@freelunch Mine says Claude do you think I have a stolen car?

Something to bear in mind, which I mentioned a while ago when someone was complaining that we were being ripped off in the UK, is that the Škoda UK specification for the L&K is often much higher than most any other country. Look at the respective countries configurators and much of what is included as standard here appear as optional additional cost extras there.

Just one example is the Romanian specification L&K - It comes with Bolero and Canton, whilst DAB, ACC, BSD, Lane Assist, Park Assist, KESSY, Heated Windscreen, Heated Seats, Locking Wheel Nuts, Leather, Isofix, are all additional cost extras.

The UK specification comes with Columbus and Canton and all the above are included as standard.

So with a less flippant response to @ionelmc, in the UK we buy an L&K because of the very high specification level - not for the badge nor especially the 'pretty colours' (by which I assume you mean the LED ambient lighting strips).

• Like 2

I wouldn't say it was OTT or particularly dated...

Image result for skoda superb l&k

Just add some state flags then you'll never notice the L&K badging!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

in the UK we buy an L&K because of the very high specification

And who doesn't like a bit of luxury!

The only reason I went for the SE L was basically it cost very little to swap with my existing car. I wanted to add the ambient lighting but needed to add KESSY which I was not really bothered about @£400  and given my current car keyless keeps failing "warning no ford key present" gave me doubts. Something I will no doubt live to regret as I liked the ambient lighting.

To some people a car is a car transport from A to B to others its a passion and I'm sure those driving a clapped out car would consider a new Dacia a Rolls Royce and would think they are Queen B.

I don't think this thread is about all the luxury's the L&K but how much each person perceives the amount of/style of the emblems on it.

Lets face it we are all human and we all perceive everything in different way, we all are all entitled to our own opinion with no right or wrong way. If we did wehat a boring world it would be:)  

Edited by kezwald

5 hours ago, Bud said:

What do you drive? I am sure we can picks holes in your selection and say there is no value.

Sure, lets see how one can argue extra 60hp and 4x4 has no value, or less value than a L&K trim :D

@kezwald you can bet I'd get a Dacia if they wouldn't cave in to group marketing and put some decent engines and seats in the cars. All the good stuff goes to the more prestigious brands in the renault group. And frankly, their "good stuff" is simply mediocre compared to other makers. Eg, renault have double clutch gearbox but they don't mate it to any 4x4 transmission.

5 hours ago, BillyJim said:

So with a less flippant response to @ionelmc, in the UK we buy an L&K because of the very high specification level - not for the badge nor especially the 'pretty colours' (by which I assume you mean the LED ambient lighting strips).

Not sure why L&K here is so thin here then. Perhaps people in Romania are just more vain, or that's what Skoda's marketing team in Romania assumes. Or maybe they are just idiots that try to sell 16” steel rims on 280 Subperbs (true story, that's how I got a free set of 17” alloys :)).

Edited by ionelmc
  • Like 1

So I can get a basic Superb estate as follows:

Model
  • Superb Estate S
Engine
  • 1.4 TSI 125 PS 6G Man
Exterior
  • £0Pacific Blue
  • £016" Orion alloy wheels
Interior
  • Black upholstery
Extra Equipment
  • No extra equipment options selected
ŠKODA Care Options
  • £0ŠKODA Roadside Assistance
Recommended OTR £21,330

and  with a 280ps and 4*4;

Model - Superb Estate SE L Executive
Engine -2.0 TSI 280 PS 4x4 DSG
Exterior
  • £0Pacific Blue
  • £018" Zenith alloy wheels
Interior
  • Black upholstery
Extra Equipment
  • £0Alcantara/leather upholstery
ŠKODA Care Options
Recommended OTR £33,970

Basic L&K with 220 PS - £33225

Basic L&K with 280/4*4 - £37590

So thick end of £12500 or more than 50% extra to buy a 4*4 and 280ps from basic car and over £4k to add the 280 rather than the 220PS.  Who's on about value for money and getting a poor deal?

I am content with what I got for what I paid as I'm sure you are but to consider that it is only branding, "fur coat and no knickers" is simplistic as can be seen from the extra 50% surcharge to get the 280/4*4.

Edited by Bud

7 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Or maybe they are just idiots that try to sell 16” steel rims on 280 Subperbs (true story, that's how I got a free set of 17” alloys :)).

Yes, I remember that conversation well. Best let sleeping dogs lie and not go there. :giggle:

13 hours ago, Bud said:

So I can get a basic Superb estate as follows:

Model
  • Superb Estate S
Engine
  • 1.4 TSI 125 PS 6G Man
Exterior
  • £0Pacific Blue
  • £016" Orion alloy wheels
Interior
  • Black upholstery
Extra Equipment
  • No extra equipment options selected
ŠKODA Care Options
Recommended OTR £21,330

and  with a 280ps and 4*4;

Model - Superb Estate SE L Executive
Engine -2.0 TSI 280 PS 4x4 DSG
Exterior
  • £0Pacific Blue
  • £018" Zenith alloy wheels
Interior
  • Black upholstery
Extra Equipment
  • £0Alcantara/leather upholstery
ŠKODA Care Options
Recommended OTR £33,970

Basic L&K with 220 PS - £33225

Basic L&K with 280/4*4 - £37590

So thick end of £12500 or more than 50% extra to buy a 4*4 and 280ps from basic car and over £4k to add the 280 rather than the 220PS.  Who's on about value for money and getting a poor deal?

I am content with what I got for what I paid as I'm sure you are but to consider that it is only branding, "fur coat and no knickers" is simplistic as can be seen from the extra 50% surcharge to get the 280/4*4.

Can't argue with your maths or logic the doctrine of which I have followed all my life . In my circumstances, however , I should be driving a Dacia Sandero if I had stayed true to form. I decided that for once I would have the best in something I bought rather than what was adequate/sensible/affordable. I thought for a long time ab0ut paying the extra £4K for the 280 over the splendid 220 for the extra power and traction that I would never use. I came to the conclusion that as I was abandoning the sensible philosophy of a lifetime I may as well buy the best there is and have the flagship 280 L&K. As they say there is no fool like an old fool!!! Incidentally the wife has a Dacia Sandero and is enamoured with it as it is a fine car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbydazzler said:

Can't argue with your maths or logic the doctrine of which I have followed all my life . In my circumstances, however , I should be driving a Dacia Sandero if I had stayed true to form. I decided that for once I would have the best in something I bought rather than what was adequate/sensible/affordable. I thought for a long time ab0ut paying the extra £4K for the 280 over the splendid 220 for the extra power and traction that I would never use. I came to the conclusion that as I was abandoning the sensible philosophy of a lifetime I may as well buy the best there is and have the flagship 280 L&K. As they say there is no fool like an old fool!!! Incidentally the wife has a Dacia Sandero and is enamoured with it as it is a fine car.

Absolutely spot on.  Thought long and hard about a 220 Sportline then a 220 L & K.  Tried a 280 and of course it is quicker no question.  How often would I use the extra, not very often is the answer to that. These are public roads not race track, the Autobahns or Nuburgring.  Thought, 50 this year lets just treat myself, been working hard and all that.  Flagship it was for me also. ;)

Don't think any of us can argue with the maths and I'm sure comes into play in our minds in someway or the other.

2 hours ago, RGKTSi said:

How often would I use the extra, not very often is the answer to that. These are public roads not race track, the Autobahns or Nuburgring.  Thought, 50 this year lets just treat myself, been working hard and all that.  Flagship it was for me also

this is probably the most accurate answer I have seen, and the solid reasoning behind @RGKTSi decision he his reaching a half a century old this year, so why not spoil yourself having a luxurious wolf in sheep's clothing, which doesn't mean he has a wolf he going to drive it that way every day.

I chose the 150tdi SEL as a decent family car after looking to at the 280, but decided I already have a fast car that's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing, whilst not as luxurious far from it as the 280 L&K it certainly betters it in performance.

3 hours ago, Robbydazzler said:

Incidentally the wife has a Dacia Sandero and is enamoured with it as it is a fine car

2 hours ago, RGKTSi said:

I should be driving a Dacia Sandero if I had stayed true to form. I decided that for once I would have the best in something I bought rather than what was adequate/sensible/affordable

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dacia they are a fine car indeed for the money and if we all applied the maths and logic in life there is something in the Dacia range suitable for all of us. For me it would be the Sandero of cause the Stepaway.

It is also important to think that there are those out there who can not afford or treat themselves having to think of the maths as not everyone is as fortunate in life as others or those thinking of a second car in the family which makes something like a Dacia extremely feasible option

1 minute ago, kezwald said:

I already have a fast car that's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing

before anyone is thinking of any sarcastic remarks I'm not on about a certain Ford Kuga which I have ;)