Yeti 2.0 TDI CR 170 - Misfire when cold

mickatdunge

Hi

I washed my engine down a few months ago.  I used gunk and a gentle garden spray rather than a pressure washer.  Ever since the engine has been prone to a misfire when cold (and particularly when damp and cold) under load until the engine gets warm.  Thereafter it's fine.  My theory was that there was damp in the connectors to the piezo injectors.  I've taken these off and given them a WD40 and it seems to make it better for a while but it always reappears.  Has anyone else any ideas please?

Thanks

Mick

1 hour ago, mickatdunge said:

I'll have a go with electrical contact cleaner

Thanks

Mick

That will clean the contacts, as it is described, but will not waterproof it. You need to follow it up with a sealer, such as a silicone spray.

I always wonder why people like to clean their engines. They're designed to get dirty - they're hidden from view, so why clean it? You only risk messing something up like this.

And the only person who gets to see the benefit of your efforts is your mechanic.

• Like 2

We had an X reg Polo from new in the family. It lasted about 25 years until written off in a slight bump as no residual value.

The engine bay was heavily coated with a wax protection, and the several times the head gasket leaked put oil everywhere as well. This car never had any serious rust anywhere. but it did look pretty grubby under the bonnet with all the dirt and oil impregnating the wax protective coating.

Sold it to my brother in law, and he ran it for many years, and replaced with a 3 year old D reg polo coupe. This came with a pristine engine bay; clearly had been steamed cleaned by the dealer for sale. No end of corrosion quickly developed around the engine bay metal edges, turret tops etc. We only kept the car two years due to the ongoing decay evident even though only a 5 year old car. Although not relevant to this, it even had a hole appear through the rear hatch doorframe.

Air cleaner changed since the engine clean, this made no difference.   

I'm my own mechanic so I guess I cleaned because, in my experience, dirty mechanicals go wrong (as do, it transpires, clean ones)

Has no one else experienced missing and a noise that sounds like a petrol engine pinking?

• 2 weeks later...

The garage cleaned a previous diesel engined car of mine after spilling oil all over it and it mis-fired for ages until I removed all the injector pipes and dried out the little wells where the injectors lived, that sorted it.

• 4 months later...
On 7/25/2017 at 23:18, mickatdunge said:

Hi

I washed my engine down a few months ago.  I used gunk and a gentle garden spray rather than a pressure washer.  Ever since the engine has been prone to a misfire when cold (and particularly when damp and cold) under load until the engine gets warm.  Thereafter it's fine.  My theory was that there was damp in the connectors to the piezo injectors.  I've taken these off and given them a WD40 and it seems to make it better for a while but it always reappears.  Has anyone else any ideas please?

Thanks

Mick

Could you get this problem resolved ? If so, what was the issue ? I have a 2013 model  Yeti 4X4 2.0TDI having the same problem. Every morning the engine sounds funny (like a tractor) and misfires until the engine temperature reaches 90 degrees. After that it runs perfectly. The technician had no clue. 

• 5 years later...

My 2011 Yeti 2litre Diesel has the same issue. Misfire only goes away when the oil temp hits 50 on the dash monitor. Has done it for years and is much worse in the very cold (minus 2-3) recent temps. The car is regularly serviced but from the size of the cobwebs and the accumulation of vegetation, no one has washed the engine bay - certainly I havent. I use Archoil fuel additive now and again and filters are changed at service.  Nothing makes any difference.  It is not really a big problem as it is worse under load and as I live in the middle of nowhere, by the time I hit a main road, the oil temp has hit 50. However it would be good to fix it if possible.

Any ideas?

Over the last week or so in this cold weather mine has been the same, definitely no washing going on ever!

All live readings on Carista appear normal and no fault codes.

At 167000 miles I have a suspicion it may be a mucky inlet tract so if I can get time I intend to remove the throttle body and clean it all out.

Other than that I'm at a loss.

On 25/07/2017 at 19:59, Frenchtone said:

wd40 invented to disperse moisture in space, works for 40 days, try something else!

Yet more snake oil then, there is no moisture in space!

3 hours ago, idleness said:

Over the last week or so in this cold weather mine has been the same, definitely no washing going on ever!

All live readings on Carista appear normal and no fault codes.

At 167000 miles I have a suspicion it may be a mucky inlet tract so if I can get time I intend to remove the throttle body and clean it all out.

Other than that I'm at a loss.

Thanks for that - I'll check it out, but now the weather has warmed up, the problem has gone away.

40 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

So there's no water vapour exhaled when astronauts breathe in the capsule?  They must be really unique beings then!!

The artificial heated and pressurised capsule living environment is not "space".

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, Manstoke said:

Thanks for that - I'll check it out, but now the weather has warmed up, the problem has gone away.

As has mine, not that I have driven very far today.

Was suggested elsewhere it could be the diesel waxing, think there would have been many more roadside breakdowns if that was the case.

• Confused 1

There might well be Diesel Waxing happening where the temperature is getting to -15*oC and vehicles are sitting with diesel in them from pre November in and around the UK.

There are plenty of those on dealers / traders lots, and various places that cars / vans sit not getting used much or refueled.

16 minutes ago, toot said:

There might well be Diesel Waxing happening where the temperature is getting to -15*oC and vehicles are sitting with diesel in them from pre November in and around the UK.

There are plenty of those on dealers / traders lots, and various places that cars / vans sit not getting used much or refueled.

Living in the mild, sunny and damp South West the temperature didn't even get as low as -10 last week more like -6. Diesel was bought a week before so should have been "winter" diesel.

• Like 1