Possible change from Octavia to Fabia

Hi Fabia guys. I'm considering trading in my 13 plate Octavia 1.4 tsi for a Fabia. I'm off to look at a few this weekend. I've got my sights set on a Monte Carlo. The one I've seen is a 66 plate 90hp version. There is a 110 version also available at the same place but it's £1000 more, so a little out my reach. So I'm looking for some encouraging words regarding the 90hp car. I know performance wise it isn't a match for my car but 90% of my driving is local and commuting through rush hour traffic. Plus I really don't require a larger car anymore. So is there anything I should look out for ? 

Hi Andy

i currently drive a 90hp Combi. 

Prevoius car was a remapped Audi A6 3.0tdi @303whp

of course the total power isn’t there but I do enjoy driving this car. Just need to remember to change down a good few gears and start overtaking about a week before you need to :)

I went from an A3 2.0TDI 140bhp to my Monte Carlo 110bhp.  I think it is because it is the DSG is why it has the extra horses.  To be honest, with the car being a lot lighter, it is a lot nippier and arguably just as comfy when cruising as well.  I trip between Milton Keynes and Luton every day and have no problems with keeping up on the motorway.  The MPG is always around 60mpg+ making the move a great one.

No regrets here. 

• Like 2

Some positive comments there. Thanks. Unfortunately my price range with the trade in from my car, I can't afford the 110 hp but I think the 90 shouldn't be fine for my journeys. I went to look at a very nice quartz grey Monte Carlo on a 66 reg yesterday with the intention of buying it but the salesman pointed across to a couple sat down and said they had just bought it. I was gutted. To make things worse, I checked my emails when I got home and found a message from the dealer saying he had tried to get in touch about the car but my phone number was incorrect.  They do have a cheaper 16 reg in black, but I'm just not sure about the colour. I like black cars but they seem to show scratches more. 

The 90 is more than enough for most driving. If you're thrashing it, the 110 would be better without a doubt, and if you spend most of your time on the motorway then the extra gear on the 110 would be useful, but for most people the 90 is perfect. I'm very impressed with mine. 

• Like 1

The gruff engine noise takes some getting used to. It's very vocal. I keep thinking there's something wrong with it. 

I love the aggressive sound - especially when you get the DSG into sport mode and end up red lining every gear - it is immense.  Your instinct tells you it shouldn't do that but the design of engine allows it to before the gear changes so why not? :)

• Like 1

although mk1 - I got a fabia whilst my normal car is an octavia. 

The fabia (54bhp on a good day) is a LOT more fun than the octy. 

Being small and light, you don't really need that much power. Especially for town driving. I rev the nuts off the thing and it accelerates well to town driving speeds. 

• Like 1

I drive an 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG 4x4 and my wife has an 2016 Fabia 1.2 TSI (110) DSG.

The Fabia is fun on short trips, the engine has enough power and the MPG is good/great. But its a cheap car and I really notice it !

Just closing the doors, or listen at the road noise even with standard 15" rims and the look of the interior.

If this matter to you - buy an Octavia, if not be happy with the Fabia, like my wife is - she loves it.

11 hours ago, norsko said:

I drive an 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG 4x4 and my wife has an 2016 Fabia 1.2 TSI (110) DSG.

The Fabia is fun on short trips, the engine has enough power and the MPG is good/great. But its a cheap car and I really notice it !

Just closing the doors, or listen at the road noise even with standard 15" rims and the look of the interior.

If this matter to you - buy an Octavia, if not be happy with the Fabia, like my wife is - she loves it.

When test driving the regular Fabia mk3 and then a Monte Carlo, the difference was quite drastic in quality (I thought).  As for road noise, hadn't noticed (riding on the 17" rims).  I will admit the interior is rather simple but I guess it is down to how crowded you like your car interiors.  If you want cramped and crowded - buy a Seat Ibiza.  If you want a functional and 'tidy' interior, Skoda every time.

• Like 1

When you say regular Fabia MK3 do you mean a SE L 110ps DSG is drastically poorer quality than a Monte Carlo?

Or was it some lower priced model?

I am looking at getting a new Fabia and have been out in a 1.0TSI 110ps SE L and it was a rather nice drive.

Not been in a Monte Carlo version yet, up to now my eyesight is too good to live with one, and it will be an estate i get not a Hatch.

(I can get a new 1.0TSI 110ps SE L Estate for £14,100 so 'much cheapness and i am tempted.)

But i think i might hold off and see what if anything is going to come when the Fabia MK3 gets a face lift, just living in hope of more than 110ps.

Maybe i will just have to keep living in hope.

Sometimes i think i am indecisive, but then i am not sure on that....

Edited by Awayoffski

It was the dealers' basic courtesy car so I guess it was the entry level one (no disrespect to the brand etc. but wow the difference is noticeable).  It was a '66 plate mk3.

I love my Monte Carlo.  The 'standard package' is generous compared to other brands and the power the little 1.2 DSG gives is actually quite amazing.  I got one of the last 1.2's on a '17 plate.  I hear the 1.0's have been tuned to put out the same power - if that's the case it should be just as capable.  My wife likes my Monte Carlo so much she has put it on her list of choices for her next company car.  

5 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

More capable actually, having driven 1.2TSI 110ps's in the past.

Still a bit disappointing though and driving one with all the show and not the go would be a step too far for me.

0-60 in less than 10 seconds is respectful...

I've given bigger cars a run for their money on the pullaway.  It is funny as everyone underestimates it...Even my passengers

• Haha 1

Not doing anything like that. Just being honest in that the likes of a Monte Carlo with show and not much go or stopping or handling is just what it is, 

a small family car, not even a warm hatch.

Hopefully maybe that will change in the next year.

The good thing is that you do not have to pay anything like the Skoda RRP for them so the purchase prices are competitive for similarly powered hatches, and there is a lack of estates available near the price with decent autoboxes.

Edited by Awayoffski

End of the day, I get what I need.  

50+MPG on the motorway, 0-60 in less than 10s, a great gearbox, a great ICE system and good looking car that is comfortable.

Less than £45 to fill up and less than £350 to insure.  Nimble round roundabout (essential for Milton Keynes living).

I guess everyone buys to suit their requirements.  Luckily for me the Fabia MC ticked all my boxes.

And you're right, price-wise you cannot get more car for less money unless you buy a used one.

• Like 1

Good that Skoda UK are having to first register ones because sales are not going too well and once they sit past a while past the 3 months they have to be considered a demonstrator prices will be sensible.

Auto Car seemed to predict residuals would be good when they made the All New 3rd Generation Fabia What Car of the year before they were even in the UK but again that seems to not become reality.

Re the quality differences- the 'brushed metal' effect plastic strip in the cabin of the SE and SEL makes a huge difference compared to the S, which has a plain piece of injection moulded plastic. The Monte gets a nice piano black part which does the same. The strip plus the leather wheel makes a huge step up for the SE in perceived quality.

Have a look at this vid guys. Stop discussing/arguing over this car and that car and who can drive the fastest - this little Skoda has impressed me, I can tell you.

If all is as it seems, this is quite outstanding. Personally I got scared after 100mph. Be honest would/could you drive at these speeds on any Motorway that was guaranteed police free?

If you are not impressed I will eat my hat. 

• Like 1

I already am impressed.  I was impressed the moment I sampled one down a twisty A road just outside of Milton Keynes when I took one for a test drive.  I had to buy one there and then.  It is a superb little car and yes - if there were no police and it was legal, I would take mine to those speeds and I would feel safe doing it as it is a solid car.

Scoskoda,

There are not that many cars on sale in the UK that can not go down a good straight road at getting on for twice the UK national speed limit.

There are some Skoda that stuggle to do it at UK Motorway speeds because of 'Pulling to the Left' but dealerships will say 'They all do that',

so no probs there.