Citigo on motorway

Heron

Hello there, 

me and my girlfriend have been looking to buy a car and after some research we have decided that the Citigo is the one to go for. Now, we will buy used or nearly new, looking mostly from 2015 onwards, and we think that the 1.0 MPI 75 Greetech is probably the one that we should get.

My main concern is that my girlfriend will be driving it every weekday to go to her work which is 17.6 miles away. So the car will cover 35 miles every weekday on a motorway. Can the Citigo handle something like that? From all the guides In all the guides I've come across, I've read that this is a city car that can do surprisingly well on the motorway. Is this true? We frankly have come to love this car without even driving it but I need to be sure that it can do the job consistently.

Do you think we should go for a bigger car instead? I've thought about Skoda Fabia, but haven't looked into it yet. I've only researched the more common ones, like Fiesta, Polo, Yaris. 

I'll be grateful if someone can help!

• Like 1

A 17 mile motorway commute will be no problem at all. I regularly use mine for a 17 mile dual carriageway trip (often more than twice a day) and it's fine. I did a 120 mile round trip in it yesterday, mostly at 70 ish and most weeks it does sound 1000 miles as a training vehicle, so 17 miles, no problem!

As Chris says, drive it as far as you like on the motorway. I took a loaner to Wales and back with a large motorcycle engine in the back. Cruising at 70mph over a 630 mile route. No issues and the 60ps engine was not at all stressed at anytime. Well within it's capabilities. Engine revving under half revs all the time. Gotta say, the Citigo is very comfy even for a tall chap like me. Best bit was the fuel economy, very good indeed. 

• Like 1

When I got my Citigo I was a bit worried about how it would cope with long uphill drags on motorways. I was very pleasantly surprised - handles them with no issues whatsoever. Cruises at 70 with no problems whatsoever.

On a recent 277 mile trip of which over half was motorway it did 67.4 mpg :)

Motorway is no problem. 

In fact i like it as it buzzes along at cruising speed. It sounds happy, like a puppy going for a walk - short little legs goin like the clappers :D

• Like 1

Goes like on rails on motorway.

And you hardly notice any difference between 60hp and 75hp. Don't pay anything more for 75hp version. Power difference is close to red line and you hardly ever use so high rpm. Or if you do it only lasts a couple of seconds. 

Choose one with cruise control instead if available. 

That was one of my main concerns when i brought mine , however i was more than impressed with it . Ive been all over including a trip to silverstone and back with 4 adults and luggage . The citigo takes everything in its stride with no fuss :-) 

I do regular trips of 275 miles to the south coast. A grand motor. Has a bit of a flat spot but you can alter your style to prevent this problem. Can drive steadily or like a go kart. Great fun.

Used to commute 300 miles a week (100 miles of that on the Motorway), not a problem.

Longest trip - Yorkshire -Dover - Baden - Basel - Burgundy - Calais - Yorkshire - 2,000 miles plus.

Cracked 100 mph on the Autobahn (slightly downhill) and conquered the Swiss and French Jura mountains (lol)...

Excellent little motor!

I take the missus car (60ps) to work sometimes. It is a 52 mile one way trip and I keep it at about 65mph indicated. This gives me on average tank to tank anything from 57 to 62 mpg. The missus drives it to work a 46 mile round trip on A and B roads. Gets the same if not better economy. Brilliant little car for the commute or city driving. The only limit is driving the little thing in proper rain storms. You can feel every tuck the wind gives it plus the feeling of being in a tin can surrounded by idiots who doesn't know sunshine from lashing rain.

Have to say, I've always found it very competent and capable in the wet. Sure you hear the puddles in the rear wheel arches, but it's narrow tyres cut through the water well and it's completely stable at speed. Just a thought, the 60ps variant has taller bearing and may be more economical than the 75ps on longer journeys.

Edited by Chris GB

7 hours ago, Chris GB said:

the 60ps variant has taller bearing and may be more economical than the 75ps on longer journeys.

Despite your avatar I'm not sure that tall bears would really help that much? :) 

I'm surprised there is any difference between the two versions. Often see longer gearing on automatic versions of lots of makes/models compared to the manual though.

Edited by Gerrycan

48 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

I found the 75ps Greentech version a bit more economical than the standard 60ps version. That does seem to have higher gearing in the form of different final drive ratio by just a tiny bit.

Yes, it's the final drive that is different. The 60ps variant runs about 400rpm fewer revs at 70mph in 5th.

• 1 year later...

Probably/possibly a little late for this particular thread, but on 1 Feb, I traded in my 75PS SE-L for a 60 BHP SE-L - PURELY because I didn't want to wait for the quoted 3 months in ordering one direct from the factory (I was initially going to go for another 75 BHP,) & instead elected to take delivery of one that was already sitting on the docks in Germany, & although there was indeed a SE-L there just wasn't either the option of the stronger laggy band version, or, come to that, the colour that SWMBO had set her little heart on (Silver).   Instead, we finished up with a rather pleasing shade of light Blue.   Initially, I was just a leedle concerned that I may notice the distinct drop in BHP, but our motoring excursions have remained the same as they previously were, & I can honestly say that after 10+ months & 7+k, I haven't noticed any change whatsoever between the different laggy bands - & to reinforce the impression, even Mr Skoda's "hot rod" version (the Monte Caro) has the 60 BHP clockwork fitted.     So, if anyone is actually deliberating between the 2 different engines, the 60 clockwork does everything that the 75 does - & possibly a tad more economically.    As some Briskodians have pointed out, you have to go WELL North of 4OOO revs before you would possibly notice any difference, & when doing that, you are exceeding the maximum speed limit with a vengeance. 

60 BHP rules OK!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1