Mega road trip started - one of my bucket list

I've been to jvaskyla for work twice, and loved it there. I didn't get to see too much, but what I saw was great. Enough to make me want to go back for a proper visit. 

Loving the thread and pics, thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

I am at a motel now in the middle of nowhere, so - no phone coverage and relying on what I assume is nearly a dialup connection from the motel :)

I am already deep inside Norway, drove some awesome mountain roads and have 4k videos (if you can see anything between the mosquitos...) and awesome photos.

I am sleeping 3h away from the Nordkapp, so I reach it tomorrow but... what a joy to drive these roads. They remind some of those Top Gear roads they were using. No photo or video will make justice to the dimension of these landscapes: Huge mountains (some peaks with ice and snow), gigantic valleys, wide rivers inbetween and the road weaving between the mountain and the river.

I almost cried :)

...more photos when I get hold of a better connection. And I could not be driving a better car to enjoy this moment.

Anti-climax: Reached the Nordkapp and there is thick fog with 10m visibility :)

...having a coffee and slice of cake that I paid 12€ for while waiting if it clears a bit, but it is unlikely.

To rub salt on the wound, when I entered, the girl told me "...but 2h ago it was clear blue skies" :(

6 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Anti-climax: Reached the Nordkapp and there is thick fog with 10m visibility :)

Sounds like you're blessed with the same kind of luck that I have :wondering:

Still envious of your trip though.  Much awesomeness :cool:

Gaz

• Like 1

Funny story about this last pic I posted:

I saw a nice landscape and pulled over to make a few photos and videos.

In the same parking, there was a new Skoda Fabia with Finnish license plate parked and outside there was a couple making photos of the landscape.

As I am getting out of the car, the guy steps back to photograph his car (turns out it was the girlfriend's car...) and I thought "he is doing just the same I am"

We ended up striking a conversation, and he told me "I have one of these right back home - the Fabia is my girlfriend's car" :)

And the daily consumption log - still great, even with loads of mountain roads today:

Dp7yybR.jpg

Also, tucked in to sleep now - checkout the fog, since I am back up in the hills on another awesome place where I won't be able to see the view...

2u6LYfd.jpg

I3iVTXD.jpg

lm0kFQO.jpg

• Like 2

As bad as the weather was yesterday, not bad to wake up today to this view, which I could not see at all when I arrived with 5m visibility, which is to say I could barely see past the car hood:

• Like 3

A break for coffee along the way:

bqZroER.jpg

And the daily consumption log - would have been 5.8l but I got bored and had some fun with a Audi A3 and also later on some twisty mountain road ;)

e2NeMjT.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, crazy88 said:

Great thread, love the pics and sounds like a great adventure. Looking forward to more of the pics. 

Videos will come, but will take some time till I edit them.

On the meanwhile, here is a teaser with one of the raw videos straight from my phone - it is in 4k, so if you have the chance, watch that way.

https://youtu.be/62RIwq7agF8

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

At long last starting to edit the videos and go through all the content - there will be some really nice footage in there, but it takes time.

...on the meantime, some of my reindeer encounters during that trip ;)

• Like 3

That looks like a truly epic road trip and something I would really like to do myself. 

My only proper road trip so far in the vRS was a couple of days up around sections of the NC500 which is up the Scottish Highlands, although it's a stunning place it doesn't have quite such dramatic scenery......in my opinion. Low cloud cover, mist, fog and rain didn't help though!

20171020_174822.jpg

• Like 1

Glencoe looks great in any weather and the road is great, (except in summer, far to many cars and coaches).  If you haven't been the road to Applecross is stunning.

Just watch out for the midges!