Lust !

As per the title, I absolutely lust after a Superb SE L Executive hatch, and hope when my current lease deal on my Octavia is up, to get one, in black with beige interior. However, although I really want the 19" Pheonix wheels I wonder if they affect the ride comfort too much - they look the business in my eyes, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort for vanity ! I'd appreciate thoughts, especially from anyone with personal experience.

JKW

With DCC 19" wheels are certainly not an issue (also ran 17" winters and the 19s were not much worse for comfort) 

Not sure what it would be like without DCC but as the car was designed to run on  (optional) 19s  I think you will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

With DCC 19" wheels are certainly not an issue (also ran 17" winters and the 19s were not much worse for comfort) 

Not sure what it would be like without DCC but as the car was designed to run on  (optional) 19s  I think you will be fine. 

+1

with DCC on Normal setting, it is alot more comfortable than my mk2 Octavia RS with the 18" neptunes.

Initially i was deadset on getting the Supernovas, but i'm loving the Phoenix rims now :)

IMAG1122.jpg

Big(ger) rims are complete and utter nonsense on pretty much all cars. There isn’t a single upside apart from perception / looks. They are, as you suggest, nothing but a vanity thing. I’ve succumbed in the past, but haven’t this time and am glad.

Someone with knowledge of physics will surely be able to explain conclusively that it’s impossible for a car’s ride to be as good with less of a rubber ‘cushion’. And then there’s the vulnerability to curbs, potholes etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

Big(ger) rims are complete and utter nonsense on pretty much all cars. There isn’t a single upside apart from perception / looks. They are, as you suggest, nothing but a vanity thing. I’ve succumbed in the past, but haven’t this time and am glad.

Someone with knowledge of physics will surely be able to explain conclusively that it’s impossible for a car’s ride to be as good with less of a rubber ‘cushion’. And then there’s the vulnerability to curbs, potholes etc.

Completely agree with that sentiment. I dislike the trend for larger wheels because they a) cost more to re-tyre, b ) cost more to buy, and c) reduce the ride quality, ceteris paribus.

Besides which, big blingy wheels just don't suit the Superb's general character.

Edited by Participant
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Participant said:

Besides which, big blingy wheels just don't suit the Superb's general character.

Visually I think the 19" rims suit the size of the Superb better (obviously otherwise I would not have ordered them). 

I suffer with back issues but can still drive for hundreds of miles with the DCC in sport without issue. 

A lower profile tyre tyre will also give better grip through a corner due to less sidewall flex of the tyre... however I doubt there are many Superb owners that will push the car to these limits. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I agree with @Gizmo 19 inch wheels with DCC are not a problem. I disagree with the sentiment that 19 inch wheels are complete and utter nonsense. My 19 inch Phoenix anthracite wheels set my car off perfectly and I still have a good ride, and they suit the car better than smaller wheels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caspian said:

I agree with @Gizmo 19 inch wheels with DCC are not a problem. I disagree with the sentiment that 19 inch wheels are complete and utter nonsense. My 19 inch Phoenix anthracite wheels set my car off perfectly and I still have a good ride, and they suit the car better than smaller wheels.

So you agree that it is all about looks and serves no practical purpose.

For me at least the looks of a car is important (otherwise I would have a Nissan Puke). 

Do the 19" tyres cost more? YES

Do the 19" wheels look better? YES

Do the 19" wheels have a negative impact and ruin the ride quality? NO

Am I happy to pay the premium (over 18s) to have the above? HELL YES. 

However we are all different and have different tastes and opinions on what is 'important' in a car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Participant said:

So you agree that it is all about looks and serves no practical purpose.

@JKW asked how the ride comfort was with the 19" Phoenix.

He/she did not ask if it was practical, how much it costs, or how it looks.

The rest of us have provided this constructive feedback to @JKW

While we respect ur opinion - there is no need to b a party pooper.

Me too, I have an L & K with 19" Phonenix alloy wheels and didn't find the ride any different to the L & K I tried that had the 18" wheels on it.  I also thinks it looks better.  So negative affects here.

My only slight reservation is they are probably a bit easier to curb than 18" wheels, marginal though.  Unless you drop to a 15" wheel (205/60 15) tyre that my wife has on her Octavia 2 FL are you really getting to a size of wheel and tyre that you have to make an effort to rub the wheel against the curb.  Interestingly I think the ride on the Superb is better on 19" wheels (DCC set to normal) than my wifes car (Octavia 2 FL 1.8TSi) is on 15" wheels!:wondering:

Edited by RGKTSi

This is really up to personal taste and where you come from. I'm coming from 215/65 R16 fit to a XC70. Almost every other car feels like a racecar compared to that. I thought that 19" spoiled the ride in the Superb while 18" was ok. If I could have chosen I would have fitted the Superb with 17" but in L&K package 18" is the smallest option.

Point - take a test drive as everyone has different preferences :)

7 hours ago, Participant said:

Low profile tyres != grip and reduced sidewall flex. Look at F1 cars.

Agree that really is a preposterous argument, especially with respect to a barge like the Superb.

As for vulnerability to kerbs: sure, it’s marginal and a good driver will minimise the chances of damage anyway. But think a wet winter’s night when it’s sometimes impossible to distinguish between a mere puddle and a nasty pothole. I’ll take the extra cushion between that and the rim. 

Furthermore, there must be a considerable difference in ride quality. I can feel a marked difference even between well-worn and brand-new tyres and the few millimetres that involves!

But if the look …ahem… overrides all that for you, good luck and enjoy.

Many thanks for the ( mostly !)) positive input, some excellent viewpoints and all helpful one way or another. DCC us an option I'd not considered but with me now lusting after not only the Superb, but the Phoenix wheels ( all 19" of 'em !) as well, I'll need to save up even more now ! Thanks again for all the replies,

Happy motoring to all.

JKW 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JR RS said:

@JKW asked how the ride comfort was with the 19" Phoenix.

He/she did not ask if it was practical, how much it costs, or how it looks.

The rest of us have provided this constructive feedback to @JKW

While we respect ur opinion - there is no need to b a party pooper.

Moving from ride comfort to other factors involved in larger wheels doesn't seem a massive leap, especially when the op opened up the clear possibility for a pros and cons debate with the comment 'I don't want to sacrifice comfort for vanity'.

In any case, diversifying the discussion from the original specific point is a generally accepted feature of discussion forums. That's what a discussion is, but I think you know that.

That's how they work, and it would be pretty dull if every thread only addressed the precise question in the op and never 'discussed' anything outside of that narrow remit. I suppose if I went back over your replies, which I certainly can't be bothered to do, each and every one would only be addressing the exact comment or question in the op? And presumably you're about to tick off everyone else in this thread that posted of something other than ride comfort? Or is it only those that disagree with you directly that get your treatment?

Regards the party pooper comment. Another feature of discussion forums, sadly, is that people's feelings are too easily hurt when they disagree with a point of view, and the result is often a descent into name calling.

Edited by Participant