Dogbone insert installed: wow!

On 5/28/2018 at 01:20, JohnnyType2 said:

both, the shift isn't as noticeable (but im in a manual) as the lack of wheel hop, i can honestly say i have no hop at all anymore even after fitting new F1 AS3s all round, and its been bedded in about 2 months.

+1  :)

And no noticeable noise difference, although mine's not built to be 'quiet' as such. But there's no real increase in vibrations that I've felt; maybe almost imperceptibly at low revs / reverse etc.

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

I've just fitted, this afternoon, the yellow poly insert to my 2013 VRS DSG. Good and bad changes...

The good;

Massively reduced *REVthunkthunkthunkthunk* as previously commented (one of the main reasons I got this), though still a little bit if launching. This was only the 5th time I've ever used the launch control in the 4 years i've owned it!

The already smooth gear changes seem even smoother, though admittedly, this may be in my head! Need a good few days driving to really test the differences.

The little lurch when setting off in drive has gone, an unexpected but very welcome outcome.

The bad;

Marked increase in cabin noise at idle, and a slight increase while driving. The dreaded booming has increased also.

Reversing is now pretty noisy, and there's quite an increase in juddering, especially when braking to reverse slowly into parking spots etc.

Going from drive to reverse now has a bit of a lurch to it, possibly does going reverse to drive, haven't tested that yet. Odd as the little lurch from stationary to setting off has gone.

I'll report back in a few days once i've covered more miles, but on first impression, i'm not sure if the good outweighs the bad! Maybe I should have gone for the metal insert!

Edited by jimbojames
bad grammar!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ant-Vrs said:

I've put the powerflex silicone yellow insert in mine

I'm looking at getting the diesel equivalent for mine. I've seen a few installation videos and they've all used a ton of grease and a mallet to force it in. Did you have trouble getting it to fit?

2 hours ago, tunedude said:

I'm looking at getting the diesel equivalent for mine. I've seen a few installation videos and they've all used a ton of grease and a mallet to force it in. Did you have trouble getting it to fit?

Absolutely non whatsoever. Put the front wheel up on ramps, 21mm socket to remove the bolt. The insert came with a packet of grease, but it was already slightly lubricated, and it slid in no issue at all. I've misplaced my torque wrench, so tightened to 'flippin tight'! The bolt took a bit of wiggling to get it lined back up with the threads properly! It took longer to put the car up on the ramps properly than it did to fit the insert.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tunedude said:

I fitted mine on the drive took about 15 minutes to do it. Made a big difference 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ant-Vrs said:

I fitted mine on the drive took about 15 minutes to do it. Made a big difference 

1 hour ago, jimbojames said:

Absolutely non whatsoever. Put the front wheel up on ramps, 21mm socket to remove the bolt. The insert came with a packet of grease, but it was already slightly lubricated, and it slid in no issue at all. I've misplaced my torque wrench, so tightened to 'flippin tight'! The bolt took a bit of wiggling to get it lined back up with the threads properly! It took longer to put the car up on the ramps properly than it did to fit the insert.

good to know. On some of the videos I've seen like I say, they've had a mallet, they were leathering it in.

Some have also done random tightening on the nut. Never seen torquing it up and then doing a quarter turn before

I put mine in. Bolt it and I wasn't far enough under and knackered the thread. So managed to just put bolt back in for now. Shall be doing it better next time. Proper thought I'd knackered everything up...full on shat myself haha

On 01/06/2018 at 21:00, jimbojames said:

I've just fitted, this afternoon, the yellow poly insert to my 2013 VRS DSG. Good and bad changes...

The good;

Massively reduced *REVthunkthunkthunkthunk* as previously commented (one of the main reasons I got this), though still a little bit if launching. This was only the 5th time I've ever used the launch control in the 4 years i've owned it!

The already smooth gear changes seem even smoother, though admittedly, this may be in my head! Need a good few days driving to really test the differences.

The little lurch when setting off in drive has gone, an unexpected but very welcome outcome.

The bad;

Marked increase in cabin noise at idle, and a slight increase while driving. The dreaded booming has increased also.

Reversing is now pretty noisy, and there's quite an increase in juddering, especially when braking to reverse slowly into parking spots etc.

Going from drive to reverse now has a bit of a lurch to it, possibly does going reverse to drive, haven't tested that yet. Odd as the little lurch from stationary to setting off has gone.

I'll report back in a few days once i've covered more miles, but on first impression, i'm not sure if the good outweighs the bad! Maybe I should have gone for the metal insert!

So, 10 days in, here's my verdict. 

The good definitely outweighs what's left of the bad. Well worth the purchase! 

All the bad points have either gone completely, once the bush got bedded in, or reduced significantly so they're no longer noticeable. 

Would recommend it to anyone with a completely stock setup like mine. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Guys, as I understand it we should be looking at the red one, for a diesel car right ?
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+(Large)+Insert+Diesel/12389.html

I need to reduce the wheel hop so I need that!

Also I was thinking about this one https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPULEN-Dog-Bone-Engine-Mount-Insert-Kit-Street-MQB.html

Edited by fat4l

6 hours ago, fat4l said:

Guys, as I understand it we should be looking at the red one, for a diesel car right ?
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+(Large)+Insert+Diesel/12389.html

I need to reduce the wheel hop so I need that!

Also I was thinking about this one https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPULEN-Dog-Bone-Engine-Mount-Insert-Kit-Street-MQB.html

Yes correct, red one for the diesel. Though you need to have a look under the car and see which type you need, depending on what your dogbone mount looks like. I managed to take a photo with my phone while the car was on the ground, didn't need to lift it. 

The spulen one looks pretty much the same, though I've never used them before. I've put powerflex in most cars I've owned and never had issues. 

• Like 1

10 months later and the yellow one is working fine  but i do get noticeable  vibration in reverse that  people comment on . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maul said:

10 months later and the yellow one is working fine  but i do get noticeable  vibration in reverse that  people comment on . 

I'd take a bit of vibration in reverse all day long. How do you feel the improvement in forward gears is?

It eliminated almost all the axle tramp  i would say 80 to 90% if i had to quantify. I've had mine mapped so getting that extra power down is  the objective. Wider wheels and tyres is my next  plan to stop the wheelspin.

• Like 1

Is it only suitable for tuned cars? Been thinking about one for a while as can feel the engine moving between changes. Will get it mapped at some point too, and doing the suspension this year.  

23 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Is it only suitable for tuned cars? Been thinking about one for a while as can feel the engine moving between changes. Will get it mapped at some point too, and doing the suspension this year.  

Definitely not just for tuned cars. Mine is stock petrol dsg, made a big difference. Took a bit to bed in, where I hated it! But once it did, well worth it. 

If you have axle tramp it should improve it tuned or not . Your modifications to suspension will also effect it. All bushes the harder they are the more accurate it holds the components to do their job better but the more noise  and vibrations  you get 

Guys, on the website it says " This part is a insert for OEM part number 5Q0198 037 A " ...also theres one for 5Q0198 037 B.

Do we know which one we have ? or it differs from car to car ? (mine is 2016 vRS TDi). Can I check the OEM number by just looking under the car ?

This(A): https://powerflexstore.co.uk/skoda/octavia-mk3-5e-2013/powerflex-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-diesel-octavia-5e-150ps-plus-multi-link-pff85-830r/
vs
this(B): https://powerflexstore.co.uk/skoda/octavia-mk3-5e-2013/powerflex-lower-engine-mount-large-insert-diesel-octavia-5e-150ps-plus-multi-link-pff85-832r/

2 hours ago, fat4l said:

Guys, on the website it says " This part is a insert for OEM part number 5Q0198 037 A " ...also theres one for 5Q0198 037 B.

Do we know which one we have ? or it differs from car to car ? (mine is 2016 vRS TDi). Can I check the OEM number by just looking under the car ?

This(A): https://powerflexstore.co.uk/skoda/octavia-mk3-5e-2013/powerflex-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-diesel-octavia-5e-150ps-plus-multi-link-pff85-830r/
vs
this(B): https://powerflexstore.co.uk/skoda/octavia-mk3-5e-2013/powerflex-lower-engine-mount-large-insert-diesel-octavia-5e-150ps-plus-multi-link-pff85-832r/

It could be either really. Best way is to get underneath, take a photo and compare to the website photos of A and B.