Dogbone insert installed: wow!

I am still quite tempted by this as I am sick of wheel hop and banging when I put the foot down...

I am concerned that adding the mod would put increased pressure or wear on the other engine mounts and cause them to need replacing prematurely or break - is this not the case?

Cheers

8 hours ago, Item said:

I am still quite tempted by this as I am sick of wheel hop and banging when I put the foot down...

I am concerned that adding the mod would put increased pressure or wear on the other engine mounts and cause them to need replacing prematurely or break - is this not the case?

Cheers

As stated above by Mermade, the other mounts will not move as much so in theory last longer :)

Once my warranty expires in April I will be fitting this mod as it seems worthwhile :)

• Like 1

The only downside  of firmer bushes  is more vibration and engine noise transmitted through the chassis. Comfort or performance?  the trick is to find a compromise you are happy with

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I bought Powerflex PFF85-832R for my mk3 TDi vRS as my OEM fittings was "B" (the red one).

Well now I will need to install it, however can we reuse the original bolt ?

I heard something about "stretch bolt"...well idk.

Also, did you measure somehow the screw torque or ..did you just simply tighten it?

The bolt size is 21 I believe, right ?

41CjjJZ-jXL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by fat4l

3 hours ago, fat4l said:

So I bought Powerflex PFF85-832R for my mk3 TDi vRS as my OEM fittings was "B" (the red one).

Well now I will need to install it, however can we reuse the original bolt ?

I heard something about "stretch bolt"...well idk.

Also, did you measure somehow the screw torque or ..did you just simply tighten it?

The bolt size is 21 I believe, right ?

41CjjJZ-jXL._SY355_.jpg

I don't think it's a stretch bolt. Just a standard one. That's from what I've seen on other videos from MQB cars having them fitted.

If you wanted to change it for the sake of safety and doing a 'proper' job, this is the one you'd need (I think this is the right one) https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Bushing-kit-bolt-Mount-kit-bolt/54156629/N91201001.html

They're only a tenner max

From what I've seen, torque settings are usually 130nm plus a 90 degree turn.

44 minutes ago, tunedude said:

From what I've seen, torque settings are usually 130nm plus a 90 degree turn.

For this I will prolly need to see a mechanic I guess, right ? :D

Or will a torque wrench from amazon do it ? (no exp with such things )

Btw where is the 130nm coming from ? and ....what is the meaning of "plus a 90 degree turn" ? (Sorry)

Edited by fat4l

14 minutes ago, fat4l said:

For this I will prolly need to see a mechanic I guess, right ? :D

Or will a torque wrench from amazon do it ? (no exp with such things )

I got a pair of torque wrenches from Halfrauds which do the job very well. One's a 3/8 inch and the other a 1/2 inch. Just need to make sure whichever one you get goes up to that torque rating.

It's more a case of getting enough room under the car to have the purchase on the torque wrench to be able to pull it. When I took the dust cover off to replace my foglights, I had the car on ramps at the front. I don't think I'd have had enough room to slide under with just jacking it up.

Also, sometimes the taking off things can be a pain, especially if they've been there for a while. That's where a meter long breaker bar comes into it's own.

To be fair, if you've not got the equipment, it may just be worth like you say, taking it the garage and having them do it. Be a 10 minute job for them, plus they're going to have all the tools. The cost of buying tooling vs taking it to a garage and their labour charge. Unless you're planning on doing other bits and bobs, your tools may be one use wonders.

Edited by tunedude

ahaa.
Well I have the ramps already(for the front). So with these you reckon theres nuff room to do the job right?
I can get this wrench for like 20£..... so it should be fine I guess. This looks good to me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-28-210/dp/B000LFTSG6/

+ this socket ? : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFXOM0

Btw where is the 130nm coming from ? and ....what is the meaning of "plus a 90 degree turn" ?

Edited by fat4l

The wrench looks ok, but I couldn't vouch for it's quality and I'm not sure without checking what the size of the bolt head is.

With regards to the torque setting, one the videos I've seen they say 96ft lb's of torque (the link below says 75), which is equal to 130 ish newton meters in metric. Then when I say plus 90 degrees, you torque it up to the previously started figure and then turn the wrench a further 90 degrees tighter.

Watch this install video and you'll get an idea what's needed to be done 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsxSgqKmQ8

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mermade said:

Thanks - ordered - so the ramps might be out next weekend.

• 5 years later...

Looking to do this at the moment. 

I have Vrs 230 Fl Petrol

Read lots of threads and opinion is so divided as to what insert to use. 

I want the insert as I get really bad wheel hop when its wet. I don't drive hard it's normally just a quick bit of acceleration to get a gap on a busy roundabout.

Obviously yellow is for mine, but worried it will vibrate inside too much, and also concerned about them melting.

Has anyone actually compared the metal ones to the yellow with regards to interior vibrations?

Also i saw mention of a briskoda discount code, what is this and where can it be used?

Edited by STU3Y