Help - which engine?

Cluke

Dear All

I have a mk2 Superb 4x4 with DSG. It's a great car but my lease is up and am looking at getting a Kodiaq.

I drive 5 miles each way to work every day on country lanes and other 10 mile-ish bursts at weekends.  As a family (4 of us) we do approx. 1000 miles every year driving around UK motorways / A roads when on holiday. We don't tow anything but car is always fully loaded on these occasions!

I cover about 10k-12k every year.

I've not had issues with DPF but there are some weeks where I do not get to give my current car a blast to clear the filter.  

Would the 1.4tsi 150bhp have enough power to cope with the family and luggage on board, and what all this weight might do mpg?! Or would one of the diesels be a better option, considering my driving needs? I don't really want the 2.0tsi as the mpg is low.

i like the mpg of diesels and worry about the mpg hit if I go petrol - but the petrol is cheaper to lease than the diesels.

I would buy on PCP over 3 or 4 years.

Any advice gratefully received!

I would probably have another look at the 2.0 TSI and see the difference in actual ownership between that and the 150PS TDI. With the load used, I think the 1.4 and 2.0 would actually be fairly comparable as the 1.4 will definitely need to be worked harder than the 2.0. Driving with a relatively heavy foot with 3 people on board I got about in the high 30s in metric MPG with the 2.0 and low 40s with the 1.4.

To figure out whether the diesel was worth it over the petrol (190PS TDI costs $4k more here than 180PS TSI) is I calculated the running cost of both and saw that in the time of ownership I would make that difference up in 5 years, plus I preferred the torque of the diesel. 

If I were in your position I would drive all the engine variations you can - 1.4 TSI 150PS, 2.0 TSI 180PS and 2.0 TDI 150PS.

Edited by ZacDaMan72

For what you do, I would not advise diesel.

Power is subjective, but most who have the 1.4 are happy with it, see if you can get an extended test drive with one and load it up as you would if doing your holiday runs.

From the MPG perspective, these engines do get better with more miles under their belt, my 2.0 Tsi has only covered 2400 miles now, the last 1200 of that in a week on hols.

on a good run at NSL with usual traffic delays/roadworks I got around 36-37 mpg, on your work/weekend runs I would achieve between 28-32 at the moment.

To be perfectly honest, unless you want a change, get another Superb but in petrol flavour :)

Edited by Mr Grump

Might be worth having a read through this: 

There's a bit of off topic squabbling in there but some useful comments. I thought so, anyway. I've gone for the 1.4TSI and, based on my test drive, I think it will be perfectly adequate for my needs. I guess I'll find out when mine arrives. Expecting delivery in October, as it's due to be built next week.

We have a 1.4tsi DSG 2wd, and are regularly getting 43mpg - often more. However, it's quite lightly laden, and still on a tightish engine. I have refused to get a diesel for our last two cars simply because we know what the government is likely to do to duties and road tax.

• 2 weeks later...

With the DSG being on a petrol engine then presumably it doesn't need the £200 oil change at 40K..?

Will see next week what this Platinum event is all about and whether there will be any real savings on a Kodiak.. 

If doing 10K miles per year, it'll take 6 years to recover the extra £1815 that 2.0 litre 150 PS Diesel commands over 1.4 litre 150 PS Petrol. Also, for short commutes Petrol is better. Diesel is better for long motorway runs and when towing.

I've got the 1.4 litre Petrol 150PS DSG and have driven with 5 adults and 5 cricket kits in the boot. Still has enough power to overtake easily. I'm getting 40.2mpg on average which is very decent.

Edited by bigboss

Also, I personally found Petrol engine to be much quieter and more refined than Diesel. It's worth test driving both and seeing what you prefer. I had originally booked Diesel, but changed to Petrol after 2 days. I'm never going to tow and most of my commute is short runs within city, and won't do more than 10K miles per year. This engine is surprisingly quick and extremely smooth.