Skoda Extended Warranty

On 31/08/2017 at 08:41, Auric Goldfinger said:

The Extended Factory warranty can be ordered anytime before the car is registered.

6 hours ago, retiredbri said:

AND much later, as in my post

But it is not the same as the Factory Warranty, the Factory Warranty is from skoda, the extended warranty is by Lawshield, approved by Skoda and doesn't cover to the same level as the Factory warranty unless you pay a premium 

Lawshield is a 3rd party warranty

we / I are not saying you cannot get an Extended Warranty for a Used Skoda but the Two offered are completly different.

One is Skoda the other Isn't.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

12 hours ago, HowardBury said:

Thanks for this. My understanding is that the warranty you are talking about is not the same as the full manufacturer's warranty extension that has to be ordered before delivery, but I agree it is still an option that can be considered and I  might well go down that road at a later date.

Does anyone know what the differences are?

With the extended new warranty ordered from build, it is exactly the same as the factory warranty, just for longer term. You get eu wide cover and it's transferable to other owners. It is also a set one off cost depending only on the model you are buying.

The extended warranty chosen afterwards is dependant on various factors. The mileage you drive, model of car, the engine size, your chosen excess payments and whether you want fully comprehensive cover or named component cover.

I think the example say it all.

Skoda Octavia  (all)

Manufacturer warranty

4 yr (80,000 mile) £255

5 yr (100,000)  £515

Extended warranty

1 yr extended  £164*

Less than 60,000 miles on clock

Engine size <1.4l

Named component cover only

Driving less than 10,000 miles a year

£250 excess

If any of these variables are different it can change, especially as the car gets older and the miles rack up over 60,000.

At the end of it all, you have to decide what is right for you with the car you buy. A citigo, you would probably be ok with the three years or the extended is cheap enough. 

A top of the range Kodiak or superb with lots of kit, you could be chancing your luck without or paying a lot with the after purchase extended warranty.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:41, Auric Goldfinger said:

The Extended Factory warranty can be ordered anytime before the car is registered.

I've discovered today that this is not entirely accurate. It can actually be ordered up to 2 days before the car is registered.

Phone conversation between dealer and myself earlier:

me: Just checking everything is still OK for me to collect car tomorrow?

dealer: yes

me: Can I check that you added the extended warranty to the order as I requested a few week's back?

dealer: errrrr.....I'll get back to you.

dealer (later): I'm afraid you'll have to wait till Saturday to collect if you want the extended warranty.

:@

I've just bought a 3 year old vrs in corrida red from sandicliffe Skoda Leicester...

I have a 1 year warranty, is this a full Skoda warranty or a third party warranty ?