Should I replace this tyre with cracks?

silasramsbottom

How old is the tyre according the date code on the side?

Continental tyres are prone to early cracking.

Rear tyres, tyres which are run with too little air in them and

tyres that are regularly cleaned with tyre embellishment cleaner will also start to show cracks early.

Can you swap it from the N-S-R to the O-S-F and wear it out quicker.

Thanks AG Falco

13 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

How old is the tyre according the date code on the side?

Continental tyres are prone to early cracking.

Rear tyres, tyres which are run with too little air in them and

tyres that are regularly cleaned with tyre embellishment cleaner will also start to show cracks early.

Can you swap it from the N-S-R to the O-S-F and wear it out quicker.

Thanks AG Falco

Too dark outside just now to get the code printed on the tyre, but I think that it's probably been on since the car was new, which makes it around 4 years old. The car has done 23k miles. 

I discovered today that one of my wheels is slightly buckled (said wheel was on O-S-F and was moved to N-S-R), so I'd resist swapping. Also, tyres on rear axle are Altimax as opposed to Continental. 

As as well as purchasing a new wheel, I'll probably get two new tyres for the front axle. Anyone got recommendations for where to buy the wheel and what tyres are good? 

Car is mk7 Golf with tyre size 205/55/16. 

32 minutes ago, Gissin said:

looks alright for now, personally I would change it, but I do a lot of high speed motor way. if you're just plodding round town at 30 all day should be ok for a while.

but for £80? (not sure what size they are they look small) is it worth it

205/55/16.

Thinking of replacing all 4 with Michelin Cross Climate (I live in the west of Scotland!). Just waiting to see if a slight flat spot on one of my alloys can be repaired before shelling out £330ish for the complete set. Don't want to put good new tyre on wheel with flat spot in case it is bad for the tyre. 

BTW Gissin, I just looked at your project build for the VRS and the allow looks very similar to the one I have with the flat spot which is a VW 16" Toronto. I wonder if Skoda have the same alloy but called something else? Reason I ask is that a new one would cost me at least £320 from VW, but Skoda may be cheaper and maybe all I'd have to do is swap the centre cap?

Edited by silasramsbottom

8 minutes ago, silasramsbottom said:

205/55/16.

Thinking of replacing all 4 with Michelin Cross Climate (I live in the west of Scotland!). Just waiting to see if a slight flat spot on one of my alloys can be repaired before shelling out £330ish for the complete set. Don't want to put good new tyre on wheel with flat spot in case it is bad for the tyre. 

fair enough, a good tyre choice although a bit expensive at 330 they should only be £70 each

1 minute ago, R1100 said:

have you searched ebay?

Yes, but most are scraped/kerbed etc. And when you add to that the cost of refurbing it, it starts to become close enough to the price of a new one. Will monitor ebay but want it sorted asap so I can get new tyres on.

I had 4 alloys re-furbed for about £65 a wheel and they looked really good, That included some repair work to sort out kerb damage as well.  Could that be an option for you, they were also able to fit new tyres at the same time.

3 minutes ago, R1100 said:

I had 4 alloys re-furbed for about £65 a wheel and they looked really good, That included some repair work to sort out kerb damage as well.  Could that be an option for you, they were also able to fit new tyres at the same time.

I'm booked in to have the wheel straightened on Friday. Great price at £52.50 and the wheel is otherwise in mint condition.

What's making me start to have second thoughts is the amount of comments online where people say that the straightening will damage the structure of the wheel and that it will never be as strong as it was and that might lead to a blow-out in the worst case scenario.

Think you may have to either trust the advice from the peeps you are seeing or just bin it if you are in any doubts.

Wheels and tyres always concern me and I personally never take any chances. If in any doubt I would replace the wheel.

2 hours ago, silasramsbottom said:

Will shop around.

Did you see my edit re the alloy? Keen to see if Skoda sell the same alloy at a lower price.

yeah ive just read it.

I don't think its the same alloy as mine, mine are 18'' neptunes.  skoda will not do a VW wheel however similar (albeit they are Ronal wheels to be exact) 320 for a new wheel ..you mad?! theyre only 16's  if you say they're all kerbed why don't you get some replacements ..or upgrade to 17/18's??

do you have a photo of the damaged wheel?

if you want the same wheel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Original-VW-Golf-7-5G-TORONTO-6-5x16ET46-5G0601025M-5G0601025-Alufelge-/391848013351?epid=1949372283&hash=item5b3bf62e27:g:6ncAAOSwg55ZdmzQ

much cheaper than what you thought

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Genuine-Seat-Leon-Alloy-wheels-Continental-Tyres-VW-caddy-golf-5F0601025A-/263174176364?hash=item3d46673e6c:g:i8MAAOSwNQFZenh2

Edited by Gissin
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gissin said:

yeah ive just read it.

I don't think its the same alloy as mine, mine are 18'' neptunes.  skoda will not do a VW wheel however similar (albeit they are Ronal wheels to be exact) 320 for a new wheel ..you mad?! theyre only 16's  if you say they're all kerbed why don't you get some replacements ..or upgrade to 17/18's??

do you have a photo of the damaged wheel?

if you want the same wheel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Original-VW-Golf-7-5G-TORONTO-6-5x16ET46-5G0601025M-5G0601025-Alufelge-/391848013351?epid=1949372283&hash=item5b3bf62e27:g:6ncAAOSwg55ZdmzQ

much cheaper than what you thought

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Genuine-Seat-Leon-Alloy-wheels-Continental-Tyres-VW-caddy-golf-5F0601025A-/263174176364?hash=item3d46673e6c:g:i8MAAOSwNQFZenh2

Mine aren't kerbed, they're all perfect except for one having the flat spot. I agree £320 is steep, but that's was the cheapest price from VW.

Love your project car btw.