Noisy engine, low oil

Hello

Partner has just come home and informed me the car engine has started to be pretty noisy.

I just checked the oil level and the dipstick is suggesting there's pretty much no oil. The car was only serviced about 500 miles ago which included an oil top up and I had checked the dipstick once it was serviced and it definitely was full with oil.

Any ideas? I presume the noisy engine is connected to the low oil levels. But not sure what's caused this.

thanks

Why an oil top up, was it not a new Oil filter & oil?

Who serviced it, what oil went in?

You will need to check the invoice, and then that they used what they said they did.

So if no leaks, sump plug on correctly you need to find where the oil went obviously.

@Awayoffski badly explained on my part

Was a full service, oil drained with new filter and oil

Yeah is a mechanic I've used before lots

of times on various cars. 

I havent noticed any leaks, but admittedly I haven't been looking as didn't realise it was an issue. Can I do a check for leaks / oil spots now? If so where's best place to check. 

The car hasn't been smoking and that's the tell tail sign apparently. Is rather confusing :/

On the ground would be a beginning.  around the oil filter, at the sump plug, anyplace really is there any oil visible.

So what engine is it, a 1.2TSI, how many miles on it.

Is there nearly no oil on the dipstick when the engine is stone cold? 

Best get the place that did the service or the mechanic to check it out.

?

So what oil was put in at the service?

Edited by Awayoffski

@Awayoffski done a quick check and can't see any obvious signs of oil which has leaked. This is so confusing. Only thing that seemed dirty / Greasey was the plastic undertray which is under where the bottom of the dip stick ends. But wasn't sure if that's just dirt from the road

Edited by CamFabiaMk2
More informative

So is the oil capacity of a 1.2htp only 2.8 litres?

Have a look at the thread i bumped.

?

What oil does the invoice show was used, or do you know what it was?

Edited by Awayoffski

No- putting too much oil in would be silly so i doubt thats what he did. Even if that was the case it wouldn't cause it to suddenly disappear. You either have an oil leak (likely) or you are burning it which would usually be noticeable in grey smoke.

I had that engine in my mk1 fabia and it liked to use certain types of oil a lot more than others. For example the cheap stuff GSF sell it would never burn through and it ran great, however castrol magnatec was terrible stuff was always topping it up.

That was a 110000 mile engine though don't know what yours is on

You dont just put extra oil in if its been changed. Yes you would top it up in between oil changes but not add a bit extra its just silly.

sounds like it might be a pre existing issue I would hope it was a leak and not piston rings going

Topping oil to the Area A marking on the dipstick when cold is exactly what i would do, 

then find out what oil the mechanic used. 

?

What oil do you have for topping up with?

5w 40 Full synthetic should be good (vw502 00)    but i have never had anything to do with 1.2 HTP's personally.

/

Did the mechanic use 5w 30 FS Long Life (vw504 00) ?   Find out.

MAYBE SOMEONE HERE KNOWS IF THE 1.2 HTP is OK with Semi Synthetic, i do not know.

Check the handbook for the correct VW spec for the oil. 

If there is an oil leak it would be noticeable if you have lost most of the oil in 500 miles. If the oil is being burnt through wear of the rings or valves it will be blue in the exhaust gases.

8 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

5w 40 Full synthetic should be good (vw502 00)    but i have never had anything to do with 1.2 HTP's personally.

/

Did the mechanic use 5w 30 FS Long Life (vw504 00) ?   Find out.

MAYBE SOMEONE HERE KNOWS IF THE 1.2 HTP is OK with Semi Synthetic, i do not know.

I use fully synthetic 5W40 in ours, it's < £20 for 5L for the stuff I buy (Quantum Platinum, via ebay), no need to go cheaper just to see if you can get away with it.