Major failure soon after Haldex and DSG oil changes

pipmurray

After over 4 years of trouble free motoring my Yeti clicked over 40k miles and it was recommended by my local dealer that I have the Haldex and DSG oils and filters changed.

This was done about 3 weeks ago. Since then I noticed an intermittent slight whine from the back end which I reported to the dealer. Not bad enough to take in and leave for a

day and possibly end up with a £100 bill for investigation and they find nothing.so decided

to monitor it.

Yesterday the whine got really noticeable but dealer couldn't look at it for some time as

very busy. Hour or so later big bangs and crunches at the back end and Yeti grinds to

a halt. Oil is pouring onto the road. Car has now been recovered to the dealer for

investigation next week.

Unfortunate coincidence or what? Would really appreciate you guys opinion. I know

there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this forum.

A bloke at work has his R32 Haldex oil serviced at the VW dealer and it went bang shortly afterwards.

Luckily for him they owned up and said the tech had forgotten to put the oil in so they fitted the complete new diff and haldex for him which is good considering they could have just covered it up.

Hopefully your dealer is as honest as this seems to be a bit of a coincidence

I can take some comfort in the fact I have an 'all component ' VAG extended warranty. Don't think they can reject this with the usual 'wear and tear' excuse.

Still got to pay a £250 excess so looking to point the blame at the dealer for 

screwing up the oli and filter changes in some way. Need ammunition guys.

21 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

A bloke at work has his R32 Haldex oil serviced at the VW dealer and it went bang shortly afterwards.

Luckily for him they owned up and said the tech had forgotten to put the oil in so they fitted the complete new diff and haldex for him which is good considering they could have just covered it up.

Hopefully your dealer is as honest as this seems to be a bit of a coincidence

Swapped an R32 for the Yeti. Sometimes think of getting another but must move on. New BMW i3 is looking promising. Keep the Yeti as a long distance runner. The i3 is certainly very different which appeals.

Didn't mean to rub it in but as soon as you realised something was wrong after the service was the time to be cautious,whatever the cause was you know skoda are going to deny all knowledge and now it's all gone POP it makes it all the more difficult to prove ,hope you can get it sorted.

42 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Didn't mean to rub it in but as soon as you realised something was wrong after the service was the time to be cautious,whatever the cause was you know skoda are going to deny all knowledge and now it's all gone POP it makes it all the more difficult to prove ,hope you can get it sorted.

The problem is if you hear a slight difference in the usual noises of a diesel 

engine with DSG after a service you tend to wait a while and see how it 

develops rather than rushing in to the dealer only to get the usual negative response.

When I first bought the car a worrying clunck developed at the nearside back end which I asked them to investigate. Came back with it was the diesel slushing around in the tank! Definitely not what it was but the noise went away 

eventually and no further issues. So I was a bit reticent to push them to investigate a slight whine. With hindsight I was wrong.

Am booked to go on holiday to Cornwall in a week so this whole thing is a bit

of an inconvenient pain to say the least! Going in a hire car was not part of the plan!!!

Hi Pip, sad tale of yours. Hope all gets put right for you.

Doubt you will get compo for the inconvenience.

Have read somewhere that one owner had the wrong oil used, causing a problem.

My yeti's coming up to 4 years in Nov.

Had the DSG & Haldex oils changed 2 years ago.

Being changed again in 9 days + Cam belt and water pump change.

Going to have an early MOT at the same time.

I will not be having the EA189 NOx update done either, as car going great.

80000 miles driven and 42mpg average overall.

4 hours ago, wetflyingmonkey said:

Kinda makes me nervous about getting my DSG oil changed..

But if you don't the gearbox will fail eventually and you have no comeback under the warranty, or chance of goodwill contributions after warranty expired.

With service intervals followed correctly the wet clutch dsg is apparently extremely reliable now.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

But if you don't the gearbox will fail eventually and you have no comeback under the warranty, or chance of goodwill contributions after warranty expired.

With service intervals followed correctly the wet clutch dsg is apparently extremely reliable now.

I should have elaborated... it kind makes me more nervous getting my DSG oil changed.  I have had my 2013 2.0TDI 4x4 DSG Yeti just over a month - it's on 28K miles, has never been back to Skoda since it was bought (so no emissions update!) so it seems it doesn't need changing til 40K but with the DSG being a complicated piece of kit (and expensive when things go wrong) I am keen to get the oil changed at 30K instead.............until I see threads like this.  Is there anything that can be looked out for immediately afterwards?

Take comfort in not many Main Dealerships Technicians or even Fitters messing up a DSG Oil & Filter changes & it being being rare where ones do.

Sadly not so with the Haldex, so ask, speak with the Workshop Manager and request the 'Factory or VW Trained Master Tech does the Haldex Service, 

and if the Service Desk or Workshop Manager have an issue with that go where there are Employees with the gear and more than an idea, but actual experience and training, and someone that checks their work.

Edited by Awayoffski

3 hours ago, wetflyingmonkey said:

I should have elaborated... it kind makes me more nervous getting my DSG oil changed.  I have had my 2013 2.0TDI 4x4 DSG Yeti just over a month - it's on 28K miles, has never been back to Skoda since it was bought (so no emissions update!) so it seems it doesn't need changing til 40K but with the DSG being a complicated piece of kit (and expensive when things go wrong) I am keen to get the oil changed at 30K instead.............until I see threads like this.  Is there anything that can be looked out for immediately afterwards?

One person has reported a possible problem when he had the fluid changed, whereas hundreds or thousands of others have had it done with NO problems. 

I think your priorities are misplaced.

^^^ ?

Who did 1 person report problems with on DSG oil changes, was it to you?

Is this world wide across all VW, Audi, SEAT & Skoda, or just to you?

Maybe just check across briskoda over the past several years and you might find a few more than 1 person, but then that will just be fussy people that 

are over blowing issues as Customer Services or Dealerships might claim,  'Never heard of that before' type thing.

My 2010 Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 suffered rear diff failure not long after a Haldex oil chamge but the 2 were unrelated.  I understand that the diff has an air breather hole on top and its oil vented through that hole resulting in the diff seizing some 120 miles into a holiday trip to Arran.  The failure was preceded by a whining noise then a loud banging noise from uder the rear of the car.  The extended warranty I had taken out paid for the replacement of the complete rear transmission, ie diff, Haldex drive and Haldex ECU.

For gods sake don't ignore the oil change. Mine was not done (the dealer never made me aware it was due) and at 62,000 miles the gearbox failed and I was handed a bill for £5076 for it's replacement.

Skoda would have covered all of the cost of the repair under goodwill if the filter change has been done.

Fortunately I was able to prove that the dealer let me down by not having done the change and I got the bill down to £550. But if you decline the change, you'd be set to pay the lot.

Hi 137699, yes I remember reading your thread over on SYOC it was a scary read.

Im planning on changing it at 30k and will do the haldex at the same time as well. Ive been an advocate of changing gear oil ever since i changed it in my first MK1 Golf 18 years ago. The difference it made was well worth it.

I'll take headinawayoffski advice on asking for a master tech to carry out the change or better yet I'll take the day off work and watch them do it through the window...you know...just to be sure.

On 03/09/2017 at 16:33, Llanigraham said:

One person has reported a possible problem when he had the fluid changed, whereas hundreds or thousands of others have had it done with NO problems. 

I think your priorities are misplaced.

I'm definitely guilty of being over cautious.

On 03/09/2017 at 21:11, DGW said:
My 2010 Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 suffered rear diff failure not long after a Haldex oil chamge but the 2 were unrelated.  I understand that the diff has an air breather hole on top and its oil vented through that hole resulting in the diff seizing some 120 miles into a holiday trip to Arran.  The failure was preceded by a whining noise then a loud banging noise from uder the rear of the car.  The extended warranty I had taken out paid for the replacement of the complete rear transmission, ie diff, Haldex drive and Haldex ECU.

Very interesting, thank you for posting that. Sounds very similar to Happened to me.

17 hours ago, pipmurray said:

Very interesting, thank you for posting that. Sounds very similar to Happened to me.

Just had a call from the service mgr. In his own words 'the rear drive unit has

Just exploded'. He said the haldex and dsg oils were fine and it was the gear

oil in the final drive unit that is leaking out. Does this make sense?

Total cost of replacement unit will be just over £4k. He is going to talk to

Skoda about a contribution. It should I hope be covered by my extended

warranty but I will still have to pay £250 excess. Be nice if Skoda covered 

the excess.

not a quick fix by any means I expect so woul be good to get a loan car

fot the duration of the repair instead of the expensive hire car I am running at the moment. No loan cars available according to one of their service 

receptionists but I will have a hard word with the mgr tomorrow. Maybe

Skoda can pay for my hire car!

Appreciate all comments. 

• Like 1

Maybe best tell them in writing, HALT, touch nothing else,.

you will get an independent expert report on the Failure after they did the Haldex Service unless they want to accept an error on their employees part and their insurer covering the costs, not even the Warranty or Skoda UK.

Get the Master Techs Written & signed Report on the diagnosis sent to you now before anymore is done at the dealership.

They can deliver the Courtesy car to you while they contact 'Their Insurers' or Solicitors.

Contact Skoda UK yourself tonight.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

A Call Handler / Communications Manager can contact you tomorrow.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 2

My car was on the ramp Monday to see what the problem was.  The warranty company authorised the repair the following day. The complete rear transmission was with the dealer on Wednesday and I collected the car 2 days later.