From an Octavia to a Rapid. Thoughts?

manccabbie

I have owned a couple of Octavias in the past and am currently looking for a car. I am torn between buying a used Octavia or a new Rapud. For the same money I can get a nice decent spec Octavia or a new or nearly new Rapid.

I have read mixed reviews of the Rapid - I think it is probably big enough for me but from what I remember of driving the Octavia it doesn't feel as quite a comfortable drive. 

I am interested to hear from anybody else who has owned both cars and to what their thoughts were. 3 year old Octavia or new/nearly new Rapid?

By the way my username is Manccabbie - I am no longer a cabbie - this will be purely for personal use - I won't be using it as a taxi.

Edited by manccabbie

• Administrators

@manccabbie I've not owned the rapid or new mkIII octavia. I've borrowed both, albeit at the two extremes.

I did go from a superb to a citigo, which oddly is nearly the longest owned car, eek. I did this for economic reasons, but I did know the citigo had enough space for my usage. The superb had ample! So some changes, I could no longer be the weekend go away driver.

Anyway the rapid in my mind is about as big as the older mk I octavias, maybe giving away a little. Modern engine, components held close the gap on relative 'mental' barriers on engine size and puff. 

The octavia will be the better car overall, you're not paying depreciation etc. But only better in some measures. If you value 3 years warranty etc, no major worries on buying a new vs possible second-hand fault buster.

It might be possible to borrow a rapid for a longer than normal test around the block. I think all manf's should do this, at least a 24hour window, if user pays fuel ;)