Smartlink and IOS 11

Hello,

New Skoda Superb owner here, i tried to connect via SmartLink & Apple Car Play my iPhone SE with IOS 11 and i was unable to. It says reading USB1 and nothing. I connected my wife iPhone 5s with IOS 10 and works perfect.

Anyone has this issue ?

Thank you.

4 hours ago, DarkSun said:

Hello,

New Skoda Superb owner here, i tried to connect via SmartLink & Apple Car Play my iPhone SE with IOS 11 and i was unable to. It says reading USB1 and nothing. I connected my wife iPhone 5s with IOS 10 and works perfect.

Anyone has this issue ?

Thank you.

I am using IOS 11 with no problems.

45 minutes ago, DarkSun said:

Do i need to be connected via BT ?

No, only USB.

Check Settings > General > CarPlay on your phone and you should see SKODA AUTO. Select it and ensure Allow CarPlay While Locked is enabled (green).

Siri also needs to be enabled for CarPlay to work (Settings > Siri on your phone).

If you connect the phone with the car ignition on then CarPlay should automatically enable (car must be stationary).

The CarPlay screen may not appear if your infotainment is currently on the map screen (Nav overrides CarPlay). In that case, on the infotainment select Menu > SmartLink and the CarPlay screen should appear. If it doesn't you may need to enable your phone by checking the tick box for your phone in the Devices list.

The other common "CarPlay not working" problem is the quality of the USB-Lightning lead but if you're connecting both phones using the same lead then that's probably not the cause.

I'm not sure how Apple do their QA testing on major releases, but after the issues over last few years reported on places like macrumors and theregister I always avoid upgrading to first major release...  Both iOS9 and iOS10 broke some major features which caused a lot of upset.  This time iOS 11 breaks Outlook / Exchange integration... I mean if they miss something major like that who knows what else is missed during testing...  Appreciate it doesn't help you in this case but I now always wait for XX.1 release when they fix everything they broke :) 

No Carplay problems with iOS 11 here. (iPhone 7). 

I may just have not noticed it previously, but is Google Music a new addition to Carplay? I don't remember seeing it before. Quite surprised to see it now to be honest - I just wish they'd open up their navigation apps like they have their music apps.

Upon going to iOS11, I have started getting - ‘USB read / connection error’ whereby the phone pings to acknowledge but not recognise the phone allowing functionality. Have changed leads - same issue - previously no issues with previous iOS versions . Even when it decides to work and read, it can just mid journey just stop playing iTunes and then search for the usb source and I get a connection error. It is very unlikely my USB port is faulty - seems to be most likely an iOS bug - I note the pics now appear on phone but I seem to have issues with iTunes which is the main use of my phone.

Does the above ring true for anyone else?

I have finally recognised the problem - when the iPhone on iOS11.01 (and previous version) is locked or goes into lock, the USB connection cuts, out, then says connection error intermittently, then most times (after 60-90 secs) pics up iTunes again - all good for the rest of the journey. Having hitherto had no problems I suspect this is an Apple iOS issue. Tellingly, I heard a Seat owner on the train two days ago tell his friend that since upgrading to iOS11 he is unable to use his iPhone in his car and is unable to restore his phone to pre iOS11. Perhaps the issue may resolve with further updates.

20 hours ago, mccrosss said:

I have finally recognised the problem - when the iPhone on iOS11.01 (and previous version) is locked or goes into lock, the USB connection cuts, out, then says connection error intermittently, then most times (after 60-90 secs) pics up iTunes again - all good for the rest of the journey. Having hitherto had no problems I suspect this is an Apple iOS issue. Tellingly, I heard a Seat owner on the train two days ago tell his friend that since upgrading to iOS11 he is unable to use his iPhone in his car and is unable to restore his phone to pre iOS11. Perhaps the issue may resolve with further updates.

On your phone you need to go to Settings/General/CarPlay/Skoda Auto and select Allow CarPlay While Locked to be set in the on postion.

Thanks - but it always was set to on - this problem has emerged since iOS11 onwards. I never had any problems previously. I don't use Apple Car Play but the main Skoda System as I prefer the graphical representation of the album artwork and track information which is far better than Apple Car Play's poor GUI. 

I have noticed the car takes longer to read the phone now - 4-5 secs post switching audio on - after ignition etc, this also may be a product of iOS11 which according to widespread reports has slowed down the processing of many iphones. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:52, DarkSun said:

This is fixed with IOS 11.0.2. :)

Problem remains with 11.0.2 - to demonstrate the incompatibility, I have used different USB's and still get problems reading my iPhone 6 (hitherto fine until iOS11) Get intermittent messages such as cannot read, error reading USB - whilst I can use Apple CarPlay perfectly with same USB's and no fault - TBH, I prefer the native system to Carplay for various reasons but it demonstrates an incompatibility between Skoda system and latest OS.

Two colleagues at work with Skodas (both Octavia's MY17) have reported similar issues. 

Perhaps Skoda will deal with it by way of update - but I am not holding my breath...

Frustrating to lose functionality after 7 months of use and now have to rely on inferior GUI / System in form of Apple Car Play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried this but to no avail. Apple Carplay works but phone not detected without - hence not cable or phone hardware. It is an OS/Skoda incompatibility issue and judging from another thread that has appeared since recent iOS upgrades more folk are having various compatibility problems. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Having same problem here, Iphone 6 & 2017 Octavia. Worked lovely on IOS10 & now wont work at all. Just updated to 11.2 today in the hope that would cure but sadly not.

I've deleted my car from settings>carplay & it won't detect again.

Fudging rubbish :(

2 hours ago, mannyo said:

Have you updated the firmware of your headunit, check here to see if an update is available.

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-gb

Updates include compatibility fixes for various mobile devices. 

Thanks, but checked earlier & no updates available.

Anyone know how to reboot the Columbus unit, might be worth a go?