DSG DQ 250 under-revving

Hello,

Small issue with my new Superb 190 4x4. The DSG keeps under-revving in drive mode. It keeps the engine at about 1100 - 1200 RPMs and i can hear it sometimes struggling if on a slope. If i press the accelerator harder it will down-shift, but i am worried that the DPF will not like this kind of driving.

Any ideas how to tackle this, the only solution i found is to drive in sport mode.

Thanks. 

Edited by DarkSun

3 hours ago, DarkSun said:

It keeps the engine at about 1100 - 1200 RPM

I would say that is normal for "eco" and "normal" modes if you are driving gently. I also think that in that style of driving it will take something around a 1 in 6 hill before you will get a downshift that takes the rpm over 2000 - excepting "60 mph + hill" 

4 hours ago, DarkSun said:

i can hear it sometimes struggling if on a slope

That's something I have never experienced.

As regards the DPF , since 2009 I've had two cars with "DPF" (Subaru and BMW) and until I changed to the current 190 I had never noticed any regeneration.  With the Skoda it's at least once a week and there has been no change in driving pattern BUT I would drive the manual Subaru at around 2000 rpm and I think the BMW would run around 1500 - 2000 rpm when in "no point or need to rush" driving mode (8sp auto).

I don't know what is normal behaviour for a VAG diesel or indeed any diesel these days.  The subaru gave similar mpg to my 190 but it weighs more, has more wind resistance, has less "electronics" , far worse "CAT 4" emissions and the mpg was far nearer the manufacturer's claims than my Skoda is.

I have a feeling that you will get a wide range of opinions on this! 

Hi, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. I have a different model to you (150) but in 'normal' mode it too keeps the revs quite low, I only go over 2000rpm when:

Accelerating quite hard

On the motorway

Going uphill if I need to accelerate a little harder for the incline

If it downshifts going down a hill (engine braking)

I think what you are suggesting is actually quite normal.

When you say "I can hear it sometimes struggling if on a slope", do you accelerate harder to compensate for the incline? I can't say I've ever heard mine struggle on a slope unless I simply haven't given it a few extra revs...

Thank you for the replies.

I know it's "kinda" normal if i just cruise to stay at 1100 - 1200 revs, but thats my problem , i want on cruise mode (in the city it happens) to stay at 2000 revs and then change if i go over that. It goes to 1600 - 1700 and then changes to next gear. In sport mode it does stay at about 1800 rev or more before changing to next gear. It sux that i drive at about 40 mph and it's in 6th gear. It should stay in 4th.

My overall concern is that driving like this will cause the DPF to get full of ash in no time and after many regenerations to fail. I've had a BMW X1 before and i drove it 2500+ RPM all the time, had no issues.

Edited by DarkSun

Had mine for almost 30K miles now and it has the same gear change cycle and seems almost determined not to change gears correctly.  No issue with the DPF though.  I just use the paddle shift, or Sport, to get it to engage the right cogs at the right time.

My X6 has a far better (though it is a full auto) 8sp gearbox which is never in the wrong gear.

@facet edge i cannot get petrol because sportline sells here only in Diesel variant. I would have gotten a petrol 220 if i could. :)

@FelisBengalensis i also drove the 8 gear BMW one and it seems more correct with revving. I was hopping that the DSG gear would learn my habits and change gear a lot later.

Seems there is no solution to this. :(

• Like 1

^^^

Most people will want to keep the Manufacturers Warranty and any 'Software Updates' needing applied will be of the 'Factory Approved' type rather than those Voiding a Warranty.

Especially with DSG's that it is not unheard of that can need a Software Update or some other 'Actions'.

If you think there is a DSG fault or 'Management problem' best go have a Master Tech check it out, see if there are issues or need for any Software Update or re-setting, 

and take out the 'Principal Manager' or Sales Executive or the like employee Perk / Demonstrator and see how it behaves.

Likely just as your own car does which just needs put in 'D' and driven.

Edited by Headinawayoffski