Mileage vs Cost?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, so apologies if not.

I am looking to replace our 2010 mkII Octavia (recently written off) with a 2014 mkIII.

I am looking at 2 vehicles, one has 70k miles and is £8800 and the other has 80k miles and is £7500.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether a saving of 10,000miles is worth £1300?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Which one is on better condition? Probably more relevant than a few thousand miles. 

Absolutely this. It's possible the higher mileage one could be in better condition. 

• Like 1

?

Are these Petrol or Diesel cars.

If diesels have they both had the fix or not?

Unless certain on the servicing carried out, assume you need to carry out a major service and factor in that cost.

Full main dealer Service History counts for little as they do little and stuff might need doing now or soon.

4 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

Are these Petrol or Diesel cars.

If diesels have they both had the fix or not?

Unless certain on the servicing carried out, assume you need to carry out a major service and factor in that cost.

Full main dealer Service History counts for little as they do little and stuff might need doing now or soon.

Sorry to divert from the main topic, what fix is being referred to here? Mine is 2014 Oct 2.0 Diesel and could you please tell how to check this ?

46 minutes ago, biggingerwookie said:

I assume the reference was to the VW emissions fix, http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/emissionsinfo.

On the subject of service history, can anyone tell me what the service interval for the MkIII is, and when the timing belt and other "biggies" are due?

You can either go on fixed servicing of 10,000 miles / 1 year or variable servicing which is about 20,000 miles or when it tells you it wants a service.

Waterpump / Cambelt is about 140,000 / 5 years.

19 hours ago, biggingerwookie said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, so apologies if not.

I am looking to replace our 2010 mkII Octavia (recently written off) with a 2014 mkIII.

I am looking at 2 vehicles, one has 70k miles and is £8800 and the other has 80k miles and is £7500.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether a saving of 10,000miles is worth £1300?

Thanks

As these are both 2014 MKIII, if you are looking at a 2.0l diesel, go for the one that has had its waterpump replaced.

The earlier versions of the pump are liable to go anywhere after 30,000k miles.

The biggies:

2.0 TDI DSG also need new DSG oil changed every 40k miles.

Timing belt and water pump replace every 140k/5 years

Then just regular alternating minor and major service. No other biggies. I got the above for my car from Skoda UK directly.

Thanks for all the advice, I dont know if either of them have had the cambelt and water pumo done yet, but will check out the service history.

One more question, I have a set of 16" steel wheels with 205/55 R16 winter tyres on them that I used on my mkII. Would these be interchangeable with the 17" wheels on the mkIII?

On 10/2/2017 at 20:57, biggingerwookie said:

Thanks

i've sent you a PM

• 2 weeks later...

A tip as to if either car has been ‘loved’ - look at the tyre makes and match.   At one end of the scale, 4 x identical premium tyres would suggest a contentious former owner.  At the other end of the scale, a mismatch of random budget tyres suggests a car run on a ‘shoestring’.  

1 hour ago, Falmouthboy said:

A tip as to if either car has been ‘loved’ - look at the tyre makes and match.   At one end of the scale, 4 x identical premium tyres would suggest a contentious former owner.  At the other end of the scale, a mismatch of random budget tyres suggests a car run on a ‘shoestring’.  

Agree with this, it's a good indicator as to the previous owners attitude towards maintenance, such a shame when you see a nice car that's got several random tyre brands fitted.

I was selling a car once and a guy was looking at the inside of the fuel filler neck to see if the hose had been inserted nicely without scratching the inside! That may be going a bit too far..