Heated Mirrors?

g6zru

42 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

I leave my heated mirrors on all year round .................

No wonder we have global warming!!!!!!!

Just now, anlygi said:

I never turn off my aircon, I doubt his mirrors are an issue. :cool:

With that I take it you open a window at home instead of turning the heating down.

18 minutes ago, Urrell said:

With that I take it you open a window at home instead of turning the heating down.

If I lived alone the heating wouldn't be on at all. Unfortunately a wife and young child means I have to tolerate it at home. Dual zone AC must have saved us a few disagreements by now! It supposedly controls the moisture in winter too so i just keep it on most of the time unless it's very cold. I think I'm powered by a nuclear reactor!

4 minutes ago, anlygi said:

I think I'm powered by a nuclear reactor!

My Mrs is like that - the last thing you want in bed on a hot summer night

58 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Pretty sure they are powered directly by the door controllers. No relays needed, it'll be solid state electronics :)

I was tending to think so too, but wondered if anyone would just have a listen, just in case there's still old-tech hiding away in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, anlygi said:

Luckily for the wife, I work nights 4 on / 4 off!

Its lucky you are nuclear powered and not solar then

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wino said:

I was tending to think so too, but wondered if anyone would just have a listen, just in case there's still old-tech hiding away in there somewhere.

No, tried it quietly several times but no relay clicks at all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Urrell said:

No, tried it quietly several times but no relay clicks at all.

If anyone has an old broken mirror with the heater intact, the real test for a ptc material being used as the heater would be to measure the resistance across the terminals at room temp, then after it being in the freezer and then after heating it with warm water.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Urrell said:

The heated mirror switch on is at about 10 o'clock position.

Mirror_switch[1].jpg

Thanks fore that Urrell.

It's a different switch to that fitted to my 2 previous Yetis!

The 0 mark is where the mirror heaters were switched ON with my previous models so the O and heater positions are now reversed. I've compared it to my wife's 2017 Seat Mii and it is the same.

So I've been assuming that the heaters were turned ON when they were in fact OFF! The switch has a different "feel" to it as well so I suspect they (VAG) have found a different (cheaper) source for this switch.

I shan't bother to tell the garage that their comment about it not working until the outside temperature was below 4degs is a load of carp.  :dull:

It just shows how you get used to something so that it becomes an automatic action without you having to think about it.

My other problem has resolved itself. The auto Stop/Start has started working again.

I seem to remember that someone (the Big Yeti?), was working on an indicator to show when the mirror heaters were ON. Wonder if it was ever completed?

As my "problem" seems to have been resolved I shall now return to my state of hibernation until I won't need the mirror heaters anymore.:sleepy:

Fred 

Stop/start is only turned on under certain conditions. i had windscreen heater/mirrors/seats on had no start/stop come on 7 miles to work. done the same next day turned  windscreen off stop/start worked. so it all depends what power drain you are using 

Edited by skoda1982