DCC - Worth it?

To all those that have DCC, do you think it's worth adding at £850? 

Can you you really feel much difference between modes in normal day to day driving? Is sport mode the closest setting to a non-DCC equipped car or is it firmer would you say?

thanks all :-)

DCC works best with DSG-gearbox equippped cars where it can reduce speeds from 70+ to standstill, and increase them again without driver intervention. On manual cars you'll need to change gears yourself if speed drops from say 70 to below 50, otherwise you'll get bogged down.

It still works okay on manuals when there is little speed variation, but is FAR less flexible.

15 minutes ago, Orville said:

DCC works best with DSG-gearbox equippped cars where it can reduce speeds from 70+ to standstill, and increase them again without driver intervention. On manual cars you'll need to change gears yourself if speed drops from say 70 to below 50, otherwise you'll get bogged down.

It still works okay on manuals when there is little speed variation, but is FAR less flexible.

I think you are confusing DCC with ACC :biggrin:

DCC really makes a difference , when you change the modes it seems to change not just the damper rate but the throttle response and steering response ,I had it on a superb and have specified it for the Kodiaq I ordered as I think the ride can seem a little firm as standard.

Pretty sure Sport is firmer than non-DCC.  I spec'd it on my 245 because of the standard 19s. If I'd bought a FL 230 VRS on 18s probably wouldn't have bothered. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, almost ready to order my 245 VRS.

Just debating over colour and DCC.

Without DCC installed, how hard is the ride?

Is it quite uncomfortable and do you feel every single hole in the road and does your back nearly break when going over speed humps?

The car may on occasion (once a fortnight) be driven with 4 people in it.

DCC is £850 and I don't want to add this if the ride is not too bad in general.

Is there anyone here who purchased DCC and now wishes they had not?

2 hours ago, nidza said:

I don't think such a person exists.

Not convinced. I think it's probably ok without, I have DCC but can't see using Sport much as it's slower along bumpy roads than normal in my opinion, and Comfort is no magic carpet. 

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

I had a golf r 7.5 with dcc and differences between sport mode and comfort were massive. I'm going to drive vrs without dcc tomorrow and I'm sure it will be awful on fast corners and roundabouts. I've  watched loads of reviews about vrs without it and most people verdict is not to buy it without dcc. 

1 minute ago, bartek004 said:

I had a golf r 7.5 with dcc and differences between sport mode and comfort were massive. I'm going to drive vrs without dcc tomorrow and I'm sure it will be awful on fast corners and roundabouts. I've  watched loads of reviews about vrs without it and most people verdict is not to buy it without dcc. 

I eagerly await your feedback.

The difference between comfort and sport _IS_ massive. 

Additionally, you have benefit of anti-roll and other benefits, as this is an intelligent system, not just passive change of suspension stiffness. 

Do you know that in case of emergency braking or ESC assistance activation, suspension automatically turns to maximum stiffness to improve stability? I find this system utterly fun and amazing. It is cheap how good it works. Why would anyone choose not to have it, unless it is a budget issue? I can't find any advantage of conventional suspension system on a new car but price. Everything else is heavily on the DCC side.

After my visit to Skoda Salford and a test drive in vrs 245. I can confirm that this car without DCC is not a sporty car and it is not a comfortable ride either. The feeling and responsive of a steering is poor. I didn't feel like I was in a race/sport mode. Driving around potholes in Salford wasn't pleasant. On motorway it was ok but knowing now how much different it can be in comfort mode I'm 100% confident that DCC is actually cheap for what you are getting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bartek004 said:

After my visit to Skoda Salford and a test drive in vrs 245. I can confirm that this car without DCC is not a sporty car and it is not a comfortable ride either. The feeling and responsive of a steering is poor. I didn't feel like I was in a race/sport mode. Driving around potholes in Salford wasn't pleasant. On motorway it was ok but knowing now how much different it can be in comfort mode I'm 100% confident that DCC is actually cheap for what you are getting. 

I took a non DCC vRS for a test.

The ride wasn't  bad.

Somewhere in between my people carrier and my renaultsport.

Didn't do motorway, but I'm unsure of the need for DCC in my case, especially given it's a 2 year lease and the monthly cost it adds on. 

11 minutes ago, bartek004 said:

Well Im going for a lease as well and total cost for 2 year lease with 8k a year is 6840 pounds that is with dsg and dcc. It is a bargin. I would never consider spending 27k on this car. Golf is so much better only for 7k more ;)

I've been quoted £7195 for a hatchback, DSG, black or white paint, DCC and 10k miles on a 3 + 23 deal.

Is that better or worse than your quote? can't tell