Need help with replacing dipped beam bulb

Day40

Hi!

I need help with replacing the bulb to my headlight's dipped beam. Even as it looks as а simple task, they just won't come out for some unknown reason. I followed closely the instructions from owner's manual that states it have to be turned left 1/4 step and pulled back. After many unsuccessful  effort I gave up and called a mechanic, who also failed to remove the faulty bulb. Is there something Skoda didn't tell us or is it little stupid trick? I spoke to the main dealer and they are not covering faulty bulbs in the car's warranty. They offered to replace the bulb for me (against charge), but I had to wait for 2-3 weeks for a weekend appointment, because I cannot take day off work just to change a light bulb in my car!

I am really stuck with this and I can't drive my car in the dark that causes me a lot of grief!

Edited by Day40

Nice of the dealer to be so helpful. They're so short sighted to see if they were to to help you out for two minutes, you might use them in future. Not a bloody clue how to run a business....

Anyway, I wouldn't normally recommend them, but Halfords will fit them for you for a fiver I think, then just watch how they remove them and you'll know for future reference. 

Thanx numskull! I thought about it, but then I remeber when I went to Halfords to replace xenon light bulb to my Merc and the guy there managed not just to screw up my entire headlight, but also they sold me the wrong replacement bulb and left me to deal with this on my own. It took several garage visits and purchasing number of diffenent bulbs, cause they throw away the original one so I could not match exact model. Even to this day I still have error on my dash due to Halford's incompetence! So, no thanx Halfords!

They are a real pig to change. I get through a couple of bulbs a year, as most of my driving is at night, and I hate doing it every time, even though I have done it a dozen times by now.   You were doing the right thing, so I don't know why it won't come out.  I find refitting them is even worse than taking them out.   Once you do manage to unscrew it, pay ultra close attention to the position of  the metal bulb holder and the position of the wires going into the plastic plug attached to the holder before removing the bulb and refitting the new one.   It is oh so easy to try to refit the bulb and mounting upside down, in which case it will nearly fit, but not quite, and you will end up pulling your hair out in frustration. I am currently sporting a cut finger from the last time I did this.

If I get a moment tomorrow, I will check the technique I use to remove the bulb and its mount.

• Like 1

As promised I checked mine this morning.  I just grab the plastic wiring plug at the rear of the bulb holder. I then push towards the front of the car then turn anticlockwise which releases the bulb, the holder and the wiring plug. You can then unmount the bulb and replace.  As I said above, I find refitting it into the headlamp far more tricky than removing it, particularly when I am trying to avoid touching the bulb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it not possible to unplug and remove the whole headlamp to make it easier to fit the bulb.

Then refit to car then plug back in.

Can do this on the Octavia, but then it's a pig to unplug without breaking the plug, Lol.

I haven't had to do this to change a bulb though. This was after someone bashed my bumper.

• Like 1

Hi Tilt! Thanks for your reply! I did look into this, but it's not going to be easy job as with many other cars and models. It will require dropping off the bumper, same as on my Merc.

17 hours ago, Pesmog said:

As promised I checked mine this morning.  I just grab the plastic wiring plug at the rear of the bulb holder. I then push towards the front of the car then turn anticlockwise which releases the bulb, the holder and the wiring plug. You can then unmount the bulb and replace.  As I said above, I find refitting it into the headlamp far more tricky than removing it, particularly when I am trying to avoid touching the bulb.

Thanks Pesmog! With some aid it worked this time. We managed to unscrew the bulb holder and then had to wiggle a lot with the bulb to pull it out! Finlay, it's out and replaced with fresh one. Let's see for how long! Thanx to everyone who tries to help with advise. Appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

From experience with this type of fitting, I think the secret is to push the bulb towards the front of the car using its holder/socket before turning anticlockwise (as inlooking toward the front) to release the bulb.

Once removed from the headlamp,  the bulb is a tight fit in its holder/socket, you probably will need to prise the bulb out using a screwdriver.

• Like 1

I changed this bulb several times during my ownership and became quite proficient in changing it in a few minutes.

Always carried spares as they could fail anytime without warning.

As you’ve discovered it “only” needs a combination of strength, technique and a little know-how.

Go practice on a sunny afternoon.

With all the sharp metal edges I normally wore gloves. Pulling the plug off the bulb itself was very difficult the first time so I used to grease the 3 pins when fitting a new bulb. Good old Vaseline. Other greases are available  :)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 09/11/2017 at 20:10, BoxerBoy said:

I changed this bulb several times during my ownership and became quite proficient in changing it in a few minutes.

Always carried spares as they could fail anytime without warning.

As you’ve discovered it “only” needs a combination of strength, technique and a little know-how.

Go practice on a sunny afternoon.

With all the sharp metal edges I normally wore gloves. Pulling the plug off the bulb itself was very difficult the first time so I used to grease the 3 pins when fitting a new bulb. Good old Vaseline. Other greases are available  :)

Good old vaseline indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Philips Racing Vision GT200 for me.  Took a bit of sussing it out, but then I change motorcycle bulbs as well, so used to limited space for my big hands.  

• Like 1