Is the new VW Polo Fabia killer?

Croat

Hi all. Loking at new VW Polo 2018 the new roomier and re-designed one. I think Fabia is just out done by Polo.

Thoughts?

VW will have planned to outdo the Fabia with the new platform & engines available, so succeeded with that.

Their reputation might be down the pan but then they will sell as loss leaders or lease them if sales are not as they want them to be.

Just no Polo Estate so a chance when the Next Fabia comes out if it is a Hybrid & available as an estate.

1 hour ago, Croat said:

Hi all. Loking at new VW Polo 2018 the new roomier and re-designed one. I think Fabia is just out done by Polo.

Thoughts?

Surely once all these models versions of  A1/Polo/Ibiza/Fabia have been launched they will be back to a levelish playing field as far as size is concerned, then as said it will be the individual's choice of what they feel they want/need and the final price of that package - they are all aimed loosely at slightly different areas of the new car buying market.

Polo is bit more expensive but now offers more space and better quality. Monte Carlo and the Beats is more gap between price. But standard packages one is far less.

Edited by Croat

Just going off looks ,the rear of the new polo from the rear window down looks terrible, also no glass roof? 

I know the MK3 monte has huge gap arches as standard but the golf and polo look just as bad.

Edited by Kobayashi

I went to the local dealership here in Finland to see the new Polo last weekend and left the place with mixed feelings.

Sure, the Polo looks big. Bigger than it really is, mainly because of the wider body it has compared to Fabia (or old Polo). Sitting on the drivers seat or back seat it feels just the same size as Fabia, so don't know where the extra width has gone? Same goes for the boot - same size as Fabia's.

Materials on the dashboard and center console seem to be of a bit higher quality than Fabia's, though they're still just hard plastic with different textures on them. The new glossy black infotainment with touch buttons looked cheap to be honest.

The new Polo looks like a Golf. It's a nice small car but the price difference to a Fabia (or the new Ibiza) isn't justified IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The extra width is external the same as when the All New 3rd Generation Fabia was launched.

Tornado line and door handles and width of wings to the wheel arches.  No more interior width, maybe 9mm at some place.

Ok, thanks. That explains a lot.

in Turkey, price gap is around 20.000 TL (appr 4000 GBP) between Fabia 1.0 110 HP Style package vs New Plo 1.0 95HP Highline package.

There are very few difference and polo material quality is better.

I have Fabia 2017 1.0 110 HP TSI DSG and i m happy with my car.

Last year our government changed the tax policy and we had to pay around %50 purchase tax to cars.

Average Salary: 1400 TL
Fabia 2017 Style package 1.0 110HP metalic color = 69000 TL (with retailer discount, list price is 76000)
New Polo Highline 1.0 95 HP opaque color = 89000 TL (no discount at any retailer)

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:08, Kobayashi said:

Just going off looks ,the rear of the new polo from the rear window down looks terrible, also no glass roof? 

I know the MK3 monte has huge gap arches as standard but the golf and polo look just as bad.

I don't know why that has happened, could make body repairs a bit tricky?

52 minutes ago, irfun4ever said:

in Turkey, price gap is around 20.000 TL (appr 4000 GBP) between Fabia 1.0 110 HP Style package vs New Plo 1.0 95HP Highline package.

There are very few difference and polo material quality is better.

I have Fabia 2017 1.0 110 HP TSI DSG and i m happy with my car.

Last year our government changed the tax policy and we had to pay around %50 purchase tax to cars.

Average Salary: 1400 TL
Fabia 2017 Style package 1.0 110HP metalic color = 69000 TL (with retailer discount, list price is 76000)
New Polo Highline 1.0 95 HP opaque color = 89000 TL (no discount at any retailer)

Now that is where membership of the EU comes into its own, try importing the same car from Denmark with their higher rate of  purchase tax, tax free and pay the local tax in Turkey, I don't know is there is much going on in the personal importing side of buying cars right now, you would need to do the sums and find a willing Skoda dealer in Denmark - then ship or drive it home!  It was worth it for UK nationals back in 2000's though I was not brave enough to order via a willing dealer in Denmark, I did make savings of about 20% on a well spec'd VW Passat 4Motion and a couple of years later about 12.5% on a well spec's VW Polo, gives you a good feeling buying a VW to your factory spec a lot cheaper than VW charge your local dealer to buy it in as a factory order.

I agree, though the owners of the previous Ibiza tend to hate it because it looks more like a Leon, but I can't see that as being a problem, I think that the Leon looks a very smart car form the outside.

The Emails for SEAT have started arriving on the Arona.  Starting at just over £17,000 and going up into the the mid 20's.

Looking forward to trying one, and then the Cupra when that comes out.

Getting a road test of a Seat Leon Cupra R Limited Edition soon.

VW is much more pricey I and that's without the added options that Skoda come with standard. Looks wise the VW is too soft and suttle, Skoda has a much sharper appeal. And inside the beats polo I can't stand them horrible white arm rest door cards....wrank 

• Like 1

the boot on that Polo is awful.. compared to a Mk3 Fabia and you didn't show if ALL the windows are one touch closing or not..

the worst thing about a new VW Polo is the wait.. 6 months delivery time, because they are built in South Africa, before they go to Germany to get the doors put on to get around another tax loophole.. what a complete waste!

I like the new Polo. But it's more expensive than the Fabia.

When I was shopping for my car I looked at the Mk5 facelift Polo, and really liked it. But I could only have afforded the 75PS 1.0 engine, not the 1.2 TSI 90PS which is what pushed me towards the Skoda. The Skoda is a bit larger (especially the boot), but the Polo has the advantage of a variable boot floor. The Polo also didn't have VW's equivalent of SmartLink (called App-Connect) as standard, and the insurance was higher for the equivalent Polo, presumably because the VWs lacked the Front Assist system as standard. The new Polos have Front Assist across the range and App-Connect on all but the basic 'S' models though. 

I've just played with the 2 configurators. Both with the 95PS 1.0 TSI, SE spec, added front and rear parking sensors and cruise to both, and auto lights, spare tyre, hill hold, 3rd rear headrest, and rear electric windows to the Fabia to get them to the same spec, and both in bright red. The Polo is £16,870 and the Fabia is £15,370. 

Go back to just the list price of a 95PS 1.0 TSI SE, and it's £15,930 for the Polo and £14,275 for the Fabia. It's quite a difference. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:48, skodaTDI said:

the boot on that Polo is awful.. compared to a Mk3 Fabia and you didn't show if ALL the windows are one touch closing or not..

the worst thing about a new VW Polo is the wait.. 6 months delivery time, because they are built in South Africa, before they go to Germany to get the doors put on to get around another tax loophole.. what a complete waste!

I'm not sure that this is relevant, but that Polo might just have had the dual height boot floor thing, so if you need the full depth you just store the false floor upright trapped against the rear seat backs.

I've never heard about the Polo being partially built in South Africa and getting its doors fitted in Germany on its way across to UK, or was that a joke?  What does happen is, mainly all RHD 5 door Polos (except GTI) are built in South Africa and shipped complete to all RHD markets - unless there is capacity in Germany for some of these 5 doors to be built. VW Group have a collecting/distribution function in Emden where cars get sorted for local (North European and Scandi) distribution and collected for ROW onward transport by sea.

• Like 1

The RHD 5-door Polos have been built in South Africa since 2009 with the introduction of the Mk.5, while the 3-doors have been built in Spain (as all Mk.4 Polos were). I think the BlueGT was also built in Spain even as a 5-door, just like the GTI. I believe this is one of the reasons why the engine lineup in the UK has been a bit rubbish for the Polos- they've been minimising the variants built in South Africa. 

I am not sure if the Polo is the Fabia killer,

but price wise the Seat might be,   (Not the new Ibiza, but the jacked up version, Arona)

In a similar way to the cheap Yeti deals 12-18 months ago, can lease the Arona for much less than the Fabia, even though the Arona shares engines and many parts.  The SE spec 1.0 tsi DSG is available from multiple companies under £145 per month

Various members (in other threads) have said the 1.0 tsi is best matched to the DSG box rather than the manual hence the comparison.  

An Ibiza manual lease is similar price to Arona DSG and any Fabia lease is lot more (ignoring Fabia with mpi engines which are under £150 per month).  No one of sound mind would choose weak mpi engine for same money.

Oddly can also lease Octavia 1.0 tsi DSG for under £150 per month, but the Fabia lease for DSG cars is about £180 per month (and manual tsi Fabia are over £150 per month), So if you are leasing, the Fabia costs lot more than it's better equipped big brother.

So to reply directly to thread title, not the new polo killing Fabia, but other VW group cars are.

Edited by SurreyJohn
Typo

^^^ Seat Arona deals are openers because SEAT / VW Group need them ordered, leased which is first registrations, Motability Finance will be buy quite a few thousand as they are going to be good low & nil deposit for those that lease from Motability.

Golf R & Golf GTE's were available at amazing lease deals at launch, and that had them appear as 'Great Sellers' first quarter.

The price to buy cash money is still around the asking price at launch and that is just above £17,000 on the base Arona.

Being SEAT they will be 'Much Cheapness' next year, and those early Lease Vehicles will be cheap as chips used in 2 years when back In Trade.

If leases are cheap then you grab them, 

but they are cheap because VW Group borrow money cheap and punt out cheap and manipulate the market, 

good for customers, but then its good for VW Group / SEAT / Skoda / VW & even Audi.

• 2 weeks later...