Engine oil

That shows it is Long Life III,   so OK.

It is  not if VW508 00 / 509 00,  0w 20 FS IV       ** Long Life IV.**

PS.

Was that 5 litres they charged you for?

Less than 4 in the engine, did you get a litre away with you ? 

Edited by toot

@toot,

Either way for peace of mind (given my naivety and listen to them by topping up 1L of 0W20 last week) will do the oil change to 5W40 tomorrow 😊

Just states qty. Is 5.00... did not get L away with me...

I just paid the usual Skoda service price (to get the usual maintenance done along with inspection and to get the stamp) 

13 minutes ago, toot said:

The 5w 40 FS is not Long Life Oil,  so for fixed service regimes. 

It is VW 502 00.  

1519881723_59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.webp.9413b96159ef005a248e7a4925291701.webp

Thanks @toot,

I'm pretty much a newbie on this type of car and have always depended on dealership to service my cars (kept to the usual annual servicing rituals or when the service indicator comes on 😅)

Missed one of your last comment, per my understanding, it is the original CTHE engine (I made sure not to pick up a CAVE one based on history)

@jonnieboi82You are unlikely to know that it is the engine it left the factory with.  You have not checked the engine numbers have you?

Skoda UK are not even sure anymore even when they paid to have an engine replaced. 

Not to worry, but don't let people that do not know what they are doing mess with it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/324108-replacement-engines-engine-numbers-v5-dvla-skoda-uk-what-happened

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/485233-engine-identification

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

LLIII or Longlife 3 refers to a VW504.00/507.00 spec oil. Generally 5w30 but now in dealers is usually 0W30

0W20 oils in VAG dealer world is Longlife 4 VW508.00/509.00 spec oil. Only for use with recent engines, not to be used on older engines certainly nothing in the fabia mk2 category. It is NOT backwards compatible with older oil specs

I'd ignore what the dealer invoice says, its auto generated by a service dept computer. The actual product used is whoever has the contract for Quantum oil. Castrol were dropped years ago. Nobody updates the service dept computer database. The quantity column often has no relation to how much oil is actually used.

https://tps.trade/products/oil

Edited by xman

Where things seem to be misunderstood is if 0w 20 FS IV was supplied as a litre to do a top up.

Is that what happened @jonnieboi82

Many Dealerships invoices show the Oil in units of 0.5 litres and if it is 4 litres it is 8 units.

The fixed price Servicing and the Invoices where it shows 5 litres and a price per litre & VAT on the bill is part of the con that goes on.

There is VAT on a Bill and there are Accounts and Kidology all along the line.

Charging for a sump plug where the oil might be sucked out and the sump plug not changed.

Like when a Service cost the same total price if there are 4 spark plugs supplied and fitted or only 3.

Or 3 litres oil used or 4.6 litres.

Engine Flush or Screen Wash showing even if never used. 

Air Filter not changed at Major Services on the Minor Major Fixed prices as the services used to be.     These Parts are still in the garage and in stock to be used or not used time after services.

Now you are supposed to be paying for what you get.

Crazy prices for the likes of a Pollen Filter or Air Filter at a Main Dealer service.

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.4060614ecaf863724d77483ade91b368.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.4ed61f3b03cbb7d9a31e7e6cdc3c1db6.jpg

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3 (3).jpg

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

Edited by toot

@toot,

Correct! I was told by Marshall Skoda (on the phone several time) that the car was serviced with 0W20 even though I gave them my car details and reg...

Tbh maybe the car had correctly been serviced with 0W30 or 5W30 per the invoice, but at the time I did not get any Google response to 'Castrol EDGE LL111 0' (Why? Could have been simpler!) And so contacted the people who last serviced the car to ensure I buy the right engine oil to top up...and so here we are with the car having been topped up with 1L of 0W20...

And to ensure peace of mind going to a local mechanic later today to do oil change whilst contemplating avoiding Marshall Skoda for the next car servicing 

• Thanks 1

Just report back the car has now had its oil change with 5W30...the mechanic was very surprised the extracted oil was 'proper' black which has me wondering if Skoda ever did the oil change back in April 🤔

Edited by jonnieboi82

On 27/10/2017 at 22:49, toot said:

Castrol Edge 5w 30 FS LL is so so oil,  nothing special just VW recommended, but really has lots to do with the premature death of Euro 5 

1.2,1.4,1.8 & 2.0 TSI's that get variable servicing, maybe even that will be the same with the 1.0TSI's

As long as the 5w 40 FS is to VW 502 00 you are sorted.

?

What age vRS have you and how many miles done?

There's proof that Castrol 5-30W LL 504/507 oil is responsible for the 20% engine failure rate that you quote ? 

• Haha 1

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

The Lucifers Guides are in a thread pinned at the top of this section for anyone interested in issues with Twinchargers.

@briscaF1

The failures of 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132 / 136 ps Twincharger engines has been greater than 20%, not that VW Group will ever give the figures of failures that have required rebuilds, short units and base engines under warranty from them or on vehicles out of warranty.

So no there is no proof and it might not be responsible.     But stopping using it, and using plugs other then the OEM have saved engines that were getting to be pretty high oil users.

But the issue is that the Long life oil and the super unleaded and the issues with Twinchargers and bore wash among them means it might well be of no benefit if you are doing fixed service intevals anyway. 

Then there are the Euro 5 1.8 & 2.0 TSI failures prematurely and that is not oil related, but actually not using Long Life oil does no harm with these for many that stopped using the Recommended 5w 30 FS III. 

Edited by toot

35 minutes ago, briscaF1 said:

There's proof that Castrol 5-30W LL 504/507 oil is responsible for the 20% engine failure rate that you quote ? 

Of course not, it's rampant speculation from a master of magical thinking.

The oil consumption issue was down to the use of mismatched piston rings and bore liners which meant the engine was almost impossible to run-in properly resulting in bore glazing, this same problem existed on the earlier 1.4 16V engines like the AUB as well, elderly buyers simply didn't drive the engines hard enough to get the rings sealing properly. It took a few months of brutal thrashing to get mine to seal up, I bought it on 49k and gave it to a family member at 110k.

Modern synthetic oils are fantastic, you can't buy a bad one, brands have become completely irrelevant since the base stock is available wholesale for individual formulation using custom additive packs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@sepulchrave Great to see your input again.

Like with spark plugs, like with things like DSG,s.    The usual slag the engines or gearboxes and say follow hw manufacturers recommendations or your recommendations.

You are a smart guy with some terrible advice that can cost others but is no skin off your back.

Well the thing was there were many engine design and engineering faults and issues with consumables and software and many a brilliant mind got no place much with the issue. 

The one simple issue is the 3.6 litres oil capacity which is a mistake.

The 5w 40 FS oil was just fine in the temperature range.      If there is as much detergent in it as in the long life then that is not an issue. 

The issue with the first 50 cars in the UK was that many were demonstrators or media cars and were used hard from day one, had the oil not checked til the Low oil Warning light or Low Oil pressure light came on.

That could be when the oil was down 1/3 of the 3.6 oil capacity. 

So the Long Life oil might have jack-sh!t to do with anything, but stopping using it cost nothing, but plenty found it beneficial. 

You lot talk such a load of crap about spark plug brands, oil brands etc.

You are complete brand fairies, as if the one thing that can save a posters car is the anecdotal nonsense trotted out by you and others like you so everyone hangs on your every word.

I at least have a technical education and direct experience in Motorsport engineering to base my advice on, yours is more like ritual magic frankly.

Put your special pointy hat on and go fool someone more gullible matey.

• Groan 1

My advice has never harmed anyone's engine and i go hundreds of miles or spend hours to help people,  some are even grateful.

i doubt you would pee on them if they were on fire.

You talk from no knowledge of them.   You take your engineering and motorsport knowledge and just waste it with your crap attitude. 

Never actually bothered to see where the failures were with these engines or the hundred of members that here had one or 2. 

See which the members and others had with failures and with which plugs and whech breather mod or software update or ECU change done from 2009-2012 or 2012-2014.

If you had actually ever opened the bonnet of one of these cars, done any servicing or seen what the issues were you might be helping.

There are less than 3,000 of them in the UK from Skoda and too many have failed.

It is simple things and little things that can sort them out.  Sadly there are too many dealership techs that never bothered their backside to find out what.

Factory trained my arse.  Follow the manufacturers line and the person that suffers is the car owner, or the next poor one or the one after that because they get duff gen.  like your duff gen.

Edited by toot

Seriously? This isn't about attitude, opinions or your limited experience as an owner/driver.

It's a technical matter based upon the existence of facts, I've seen every kind of engine failure you can imagine, believe me there really aren't that many reasons why an engine goes pop and the reason for this is that engines all work the same way, are made of the same stuff and get driven by the same idiots.

• Kiss 1

Experience from a child with an engineer father and haulage company family, and cars, karts, bikes, racing,  working on engines, tuning, and having family in the engineering and tuning and racing business if you don't mind.

You just make up your mind on what you think you know and want to post.

Edited by toot

1 minute ago, briscaF1 said:

Sorry I mentioned this.

I failed to see how oil approved to a standard would be problematic unless that standard was designed to cause engines to fail, which I doubt.

Don't be sorry, you're absolutely right to call this nonsense out if it doesn't pass the sniff test.

It's called putting the cart in front of the horse, it's like a doctor giving someone with a brain tumour some paracetamol for their headache. Ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Get a grip.  Like the mickey muppet road show here re-writing history.

It is advice simply that with CAVE engines the 5w 40 FS had them run a couple of degrees cooler, get the oil up to temperature, be sure to give the engines a good blast before parking up because 1 plug oils, gets carbon build up and starts to disintigrate.

Skoda changed the OEM plugs after 18 months, different gap.  and they were still sh1ite, they did software changes twice, they did 2 breather mods then revised the engines and still ballsed up late 2012 early 2013.  Then eventually came up with oil spray jet changes.

Rejected cars that Skoda bought back and sold as oil users were fine with Oil changes, a different oil filter, spark plugs and a remap.

I bought some and did exactly that, sold them and followed their history.

It was not rocket science and no help was forthcoming from here, it was Audi Techs that got the technical information first.

The cars were a lottery from new, but simple no additional expense with consumables could help your chances.

Somepeople bothered to try and help, and some were of no more help than the Main Dealership employees.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421365-links-to-lucifers-ultimate-guide-to-14tsi-twincharger-engines

Edited by toot

No, YOU get a grip, this sequence of posts I've been involved with has been about @jonnieboi82 and the erroneous 0W20 fiasco upon which you kicked off like a hysterical Muppet (your words, not mine!). I'm not trying to rewrite history because I'm not interested, you behave like a spoilt child when you don't get your own way.

@jonnieboi82did NOT get the wrong oil fitted at his service, your demagoguery and scaremongering made him doubt his own sanity, what you've done is make anyone with a Mark 2 VRS completely paranoid that if they don't follow your ritual nonsense, according you the importance you feel you deserve then their car will go pop because they didn't listen to you.

So here it is again for you, @briscaF1got it right so I backed him up. Oil brand is not important, nor viscosity because it's an archaic AMERICAN standard, it doesn't MEAN anything in modern high performance engines, what matters is the engine manufacturers specification, this relates mainly to the additive pack rather than the synthetic base stock itself. If your technical education did not include a module on tribology then that's fine but just stop shouting everyone else down and frightening owners with baseless scaremongering.