Superb 2013 drivers door locking issue

Duffey

Hello,

I'm after some help, I've got a Superb 2013 estate so a facelift version. A few weeks ago after washing it the drivers door and drivers side rear passenger door would not lock. I checked fuses and all the normal but could not find what was wrong out of desperation I took it for a drive hoping that maybe some water had got in somewhere and driving it and heating it up might dry it out. It was dark and whilst sat at some lights I noticed that the lights on the drivers door were not illuminated although the other side was. This made me realised the driver door was not getting power. So I opened the door and gave the rubber gator (see photo) a wiggle and hey presto everything came back to life. I intended to take the gator off and make good the loose connection but it was raining and dark so I put it off. The fault stopped happening so I figured don't mess around with something if its working ok. Then today when the wife was driving the drivers side would not unlock when she got back to the car. So now I have had a closer look at the rubber gator and I can't see how you get it off and I don't want to damage it and make things worse. Can any one offer some advise on this or has any one experienced similar problems?

Thanks

Ian

IMG_4422.jpg

Thanks for the response. Has anyone fitted the door loom themselves and how difficult is it? Am I better getting a garage to do it or is it a DIY job?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Duffey said:

Thanks for the response. Has anyone fitted the door loom themselves and how difficult is it? Am I better getting a garage to do it or is it a DIY job?

Thanks

I'd get a garage to do it if you re not confident - also do it ASAP so you don't get deadlocked out of a door

I've got it booked in for tomorrow but the door is now refusing to open at all, which means I have to climb in from the passenger side every time I drive it! Any ideas how to get the door unlocked? I can't see how the garage will be able to fix the wiring loom with the door locked shut?

Langers2k Thank You so much ! You are absolutely right I never realised it was hidden under that plastic cap, I now no longer need to look like Mr Bean getting into my car! Whats worrying is the garage (a small independent) never suggested that when I went to book it in they were talking about smashing the lock off ! I think I might see if I can find some where else. Any one know any good independents in South West London? 

• 2 months later...

After being quoted £375 to fit a new loom by a Skoda dealer and struggling to find an independent that was interested in the job, I decided to try and do it myself. Door card has all come away fine with out an issue using a good set of trim tools. All the plugs have come out ok apart from the last one at the end of the loom furthest from the hinge that connects the loom to the lock. I have had to remove the speaker to get access to the plug but its still tight getting your hand in there to try and undo the plug. I've even had my 10 year old daughter with her hand in there to try and get it unpluged but all with out success. Its very frustrating as this seems to be the only obstacle to me completing the job! I was thinking about trying to bend a screw driver to act as a custom tool to help press down the tab on the plug? 

Has any one else out there had similar problems? There must be an easy way of doing this, that I'm just not seeing, judging by this forum these looms are failing all the time!

Any help gratefully received.

Edited by Duffey

This tool arrived yesterday and I tried it out today. Using this tool I was able to disconnect the plug in a couple of minutes. I have been struggle with this plug for hours and mashing my fingers up in doing so. If you plan to do this job make sure you have this tool plus a pop riveter to put the speaker back in. Once this plug was off the rest of the loom went in with out issue. I'm surprised the old loom was working at all there were about 4 wires broken and two more badly damaged.

door.jpg

door loom damaged.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Great post.

Got exactly the same problem with my 58 superb. And you confirmed my suspicion that the door lock connector was going to be the most difficult to sort out. I figured I was going to have to drill out the speakers yesterday.

One question. For the hinge area did you pass all the cable through from the hinge area or did you pass the boot connector through the door? And did you need to release the retaining strap to allow the door to open slightly wider?

Hello, I passed all the plugs and cable through from the hinge side, as it  looked like getting the largest plug and rubber boot would be a struggle. It seemed to go ok doing it this way. The only thing I would suggest is that you take note of the route that the cable loom runs especially entering the door from the hinge side before you remove it. Plenty of photos on the phone to look back on. Also the rubber boot on the door side needs some persuasion to get it to sit properly in the door once everything is plugged in. I used a plastic trim tool to get it in place. I didn't have to release the retaining strap to get the loom in.

Also not sure if you have already bought a replacement loom but it looks like Skoda have now modified the loom solving this issue by introducing more slack in the cables but my Skoda dealer supplied the same loom meaning I will probably have to do this job again in a few years time. So might be worth asking your dealer if they can supply the modified version?

Good luck

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 28/10/2017 at 16:07, Duffey said:

A few weeks ago after washing it the drivers door and drivers side rear passenger door would not lock.

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I'm 99% sure this is what's happening to my car as it's the exact same issue but I was confused by the fact that the rear passenger door would also not lock.

By replacing the loom in the drivers door, did this fix the issue in the rear passenger door too? As in, you didn't need to replace the rear passenger door loom also?

I'm not sure why the fault in the driver door wires would cause the rear door to not lock.

Edited by RubyCubes

On 26/05/2021 at 10:56, RubyCubes said:

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I'm 99% sure this is what's happening to my car as it's the exact same issue but I was confused by the fact that the rear passenger door would also not lock.

By replacing the loom in the drivers door, did this fix the issue in the rear passenger door too? As in, you didn't need to replace the rear passenger door loom also?

I'm not sure why the fault in the driver door wires would cause the rear door to not lock.

I can't say for sure in your case but my car was doing the same until replacing the driver door loom.

In short, all the doors and locks report back into the drivers door controls (I think that is where the body control module is - BCM) so it can affect all the others too

I could be wrong though as not an expert

Edited by a666andy
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

HI This is all very useful, as I have just done the same job - wish I had seen the picture of the tool you purchased to remove the D connector to the drivers door lock as I snapped the clip trying to get it off, I have brought a wiring kit and soldered the new wires onto the loom, however everything is working except the rear drivers window switch and the central locking the drivers door will not activate - I have put my hand inside the door frame and wiggled the D connector and the door will lock sometimes but its hit and miss. I have checked all the solder connections I made with the wiring kit and they are all good no breaks and have chased them through with a multimeter, I also replaced the audi (BCM) control unit ( Black box), but I get the same issues. Does anyone have any ideas