change tyre size

Tomjones1995

Hi guys, would it be possible for me to change the size of my tyres from 205/45/16 to 205/55/16 or something because some of those are cheaper? I appreciate that this could be a stupid question. Thanks in advance.

Oh right thanks for the info. So there's no way I can change the tyre size in anyway to make them cheaper? because I'm going through front tyres like hot cakes.

Yeah occasionally I'll spin the wheels but not often, I usually change in to second once they spin. A tyre shop I went to recently mentioned that the suspension was causing negative camber I think he said and that its too expensive to replace everything. Do you agree?

Surely stuff only needs replaced if worn, or wrong parts fitted, then safety says replace, others wise it is adjust, 

have the alignment checked and adjustments made.

That is the usual common sense option, the other is just keep buying tyres, not that sensible is it?

No it's not sensible, it's wasting money. I'm happy to pay for a good quality set of tyres but not to be worn out in such a short space of time. The alignment is always right leaving the tyre shops but within 2-3 months its going bald on inside. Il see about finding a trustworthy garage to check the alignment and the suspension.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Well all you need to do is fit good quality tyres of the suitable size and Speed / Load rating, no point buying & fitting the size not suitable.

Sounds like too much money and tread down the drain if you do not get the alignment adjusted and be sure your tyre pressures are correct.

Do you have lazer alignment and adjustment done by people with all the gear and more than just an idea, but the knowledge of 

how it all works, and how the car does?

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I had it aligned in f1 autocentres about 3 months ago because the tyres were bald, they said the tracking was way out so they corrected that and fitted two new coopers on front for £80+ each and i went back a week later to be told the tracking was out a touch again but reckoned it was normal considering how bad it was out originally. now 2 months later theyre going bald on the inside.

I had a similar issue, garage did tracking and said all fixed. few months later tyres wearing excessively on edges. Took it to a recommended tyre place who knew how to use the equipment and they sorted it out! Car drives straight, doesnt pull and tyres wear evenly

unless you have worn out console bushes then its an alignment issue.

• Like 1

I made a thread about this tracking problem of mine earlier this year. Ive been to 3-4 different garages, they all say the alignments out and they correct it and replace the tyres not long after they're bald on the inside. I go to a different garage and its the same story. Honestly I just can't find a garage that knows what's wrong and I can't afford to keep changing the tyres. I've used fast fit centre, my local independent garage and a local ford dealership only because its down the road and im 30+ miles from VW and its always the same.

Sepulchrave, by smashed do you mean an accident? if so I'm pretty confident that when I bought it it hadn't had an accident.

1 minute ago, Tomjones1995 said:

Sepulchrave, by smashed do you mean an accident? if so I'm pretty confident that when I bought it it hadn't had an accident.

Slammed, not smashed, slammed means extremely lowered suspension.

Sepulchrave: Oh sorry lol, no its stock as far as I know.

Headinawayoffski: Yes its the polo but I couldn't tell you what springs they are only that the car is completely stock to the best of my knowledge.

2 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Ok, well the alignment is off if the inside edges are wearing, too much toe-out will do that, also low tyre pressures won't help.

Its not the tyre pressures because I check them regularly, so bad alignment from garages then.

3 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

would be the same suspension as the fabia vrs i think

Yeah I would expect so to considering they're practically the same car underneath.

I suppose if it's just bad garages doing the jobs, there's not a lot I can do only cross my fingers and hope its different this time i guess. I thought that seeing as i've been to so many different garages that it might be some other part on the car causing the wheels to become misaligned all the time but perhaps not. Thanks guys for all your help and taking the time to reply, much appreciated :) 

@Tomjones1995 - First check the front ride height. This could be caused by worn springs letting the front end settle, and creating excess negative camber.

If that's OK, the next thing I'd do is get a good mechanic to check the inner wishbone bushes, because if they're soft your toe angles will move any time the car's not in a steady state but will "look ok" when the tracking's measured.

11 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I see you're in Welshpool - have you tried Newtown Tyres? I've always found them excellent.

Hi, no I've not tried them yet but I will definitely try them on your recommendation.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Tomjones1995 - First check the front ride height. This could be caused by worn springs letting the front end settle, and creating excess negative camber.

If that's OK, the next thing I'd do is get a good mechanic to check the inner wishbone bushes, because if they're soft your toe angles will move any time the car's not in a steady state but will "look ok" when the tracking's measured.

Hi, I'l make sure to get them to check the front ride height when I go to the garage but as for the inner wishbone bushes, if that's the front wishbone rear bushes you mean then I've already fitted cupra ones last December/January time.

Thanks

Welshpool roads / potholes

After Newtown - if problem persists, there is a place near Ludlow that fixed that exact problem with my eatate. I was getting through loads of tyres, inside bald. 3 aliegnment adjustments, kept happening - the Ludloiw place sorted it first time and these tyres have been on for ages now.

This guy is worth the extra trip to

https://www.yell.com/biz/overton-service-station-ludlow-210295/

3 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Welshpool roads / potholes

After Newtown - if problem persists, there is a place near Ludlow that fixed that exact problem with my eatate. I was getting through loads of tyres, inside bald. 3 aliegnment adjustments, kept happening - the Ludloiw place sorted it first time and these tyres have been on for ages now.

This guy is worth the extra trip to

https://www.yell.com/biz/overton-service-station-ludlow-210295/

Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I've been at my wits end with this problem for over 12 months so its nice to see people with a sinilar problem being able to find a solution. I will definitely take the trip over there if Newtown can't rectify the problem for me.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Tomjones1995 said:

Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I've been at my wits end with this problem for over 12 months so its nice to see people with a sinilar problem being able to find a solution. I will definitely take the trip over there if Newtown can't rectify the problem for me.

Thanks

If Newtown place said it is out of line again - ask why?

There has to be a reason (unfortunately if they say it is the pot holes, it could be just that I suppose)

But it is strange that Overton managed to fix the problem long term