Octavia New 1.5 tsi ordered club

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:56, YMe said:

Torsion bar suspension is considered naff by present day standards and is a bit harsh in estate models. Not too bad in hatchbacks though and is livable with in both. My Octavia 1.5 TSi DSG is as smooth as my first Octavia a 1.9 TDi Ambiente Hatchback from late 2006.

Not quite accurate imo.

My experience is a good rear torsion bar setup is better than a poor multi-link one. 

Many Renault sport models do very well with torsion bar rear.

However all other things being equal (ie the Octavia models) then the multi-link is superior but it only really shows up in when pushing on or on very poor condition roads. 

There is no difference between the wagon and sedan Octavia models floorpan, although the estate does weigh 32kg more, so I don't think there is any real discernable difference between the ride of either version fitted with torsion bar.

TMWNA hated it because he rarely drives in moderation and I think I'm correct in thinking that he modified the rear sway bar so that would also have affected the ride.

• Like 1

I had a new, 16 plate, 2.0 TDi SE L DSG Estate from May 2016 until November this year when I got a 67 plate, 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatchback. Both excellent cars and was/am pleased with both but the diesel was harsher on the suspension and noisier. This is probably due to the difference in body styles and engines. In my opinion the hatchback is smoother and quieter.

I will add further that neither is a smooth as my original 56 plate, 1.9 TDi Ambiente.

I am now skint! :blink:

Edited by YMe
Adding info.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YMe said:

I will add further that neither is a smooth as my original 56 plate, 1.9 TDi Ambiente.

Amen brother!!

After driving Korean vehicles for while (hence my poorly setup multi-link rear comment), I bought a 1.9pd Ambiente estate in 2007 when Skoda came back to Australia.

The Mk2 Octavia's multi-link rear with 15 inch wheels gave a much better ride on our badly corrugated dirt roads than Korean so-called SUVs.

Our current 2014 mk3 Octavia wagon with torsion beam rear and 17 inch wheels is no where near as good on dirt but not as bad as I expected/feared and still better than the aforementioned SUVs. 

I've never had a complaint from rear passengers on normal roads, but I am much more cautious about the quality of dirt roads I drive on.

If money were no object I'd experiment with 15 inch wheels and/or putting multi-link rear on my 1.4tsi, but that is not likely to happen and I still enjoy driving my car more than other similarly priced cars I have driven recently.

Edited by Gerrycan

South Korean SUV's from Hyundai get built in the Czech Republic and get a good manufacturers warranty and suspension to suit the roads most traveled.

How things change from where you could buy a Skoda built in the Czech Republic and expect it would be comfortable on European roads without needing to spec up 

to get better suspension.

Good afternoon and happy New Year.

I was thinking of buying O3 Style (may be this is something similar to SE) 1.5TSI, but at the end I ordered one with 1.4TSI. Does someone try both? What is the difference between them in real life?

On 12/30/2017 at 00:30, Gerrycan said:

TMWNA hated it because he rarely drives in moderation and I think I'm correct in thinking that he modified the rear sway bar so that would also have affected the ride.

28mm Whiteline RARB & through the 3-1/2 years of ownership I did drive the car in moderation but, I didn't like it & seldom done it again

Car now in our driveway. Winter wheels and tyres fitted alloys stored in garage.

Now looking forward to a longish run to check it all out.

Much quieter than last car (1.6 tdi) and just looks better inside. The bigger screen is a fast improvement and the whole info system is a step up.

DSG will take a little getting used to but very relaxing to drive. LED lights are great, drove home last night and what an improvement they are.

Just hope I don't miss the Race Blue !

+1 on the LED headlights. Love those "eyelashes" - enjoy. Not getting race blue is probably a mistake you can live with! :biggrin:

I went for a different blue - Denim Blue. I hope I made the right choice.

The car - SE L Hatch 1.5 TSi DSG- has been built and is on its way to UK. Can I expect it before the end of Jan, that's when my tax runs out.

YMe - can you just explain 2 of your VCD tweaks .  Locking/unlocking chirp, is that to turn it off? Fan speed in auto, what's that?

Norm

2 minutes ago, NFmiller said:

The car - SE L Hatch 1.5 TSi DSG- has been built and is on its way to UK. Can I expect it before the end of Jan, that's when my tax runs out.

YMe - can you just explain 2 of your VCD tweaks .  Locking/unlocking chirp, is that to turn it off? Fan speed in auto, what's that?

Norm

As standard there is not a chirp when the car locks/unlocks from the remote.

Fan speed tweak is to show the fan speed around the fan speed dial when in Auto, its usually blank.

17 minutes ago, NFmiller said:

Norm

Locking/unlocking chirp to enable the chirp and to turn it on and off in with Infotainment. Why the hell Skoda hide it when it can be operated, after activation, from Infotainment beats me.

Fan speed in auto. When your Aircon fan is on auto the circumference of the  knob lights to show the fan speed setting. It does this is manual but VCDS can make it show n auto as well.

Thanks YMe and KevC, I'll be having a word with the dealer! Am I optomistic  in expecting it to arrive before 31st Jan if it was built at the start of this week?

I think you'll be lucky but there's nothing wrong with a bit of optimism. About two weeks after ship arrives at Sheerness you should have it.

Mine took over a week to travel by train from Czech Republic to Emden according to Skoda Live chat. If it's on the ship then I would say about two weeks starting next Monday about first week of Feb.

All speculation of course but exciting ain't it?

• 4 weeks later...

Car arrived on my birthday, 29th Jan 2018. Denim blue, looks great. Only had one run out but very pleased with it, except my wife reckons that it starts vibrating above about 60mph. I can't feel it while I'm driving but she's adamant it's there. Anyone else had this?

11 minutes ago, NFmiller said:

Car arrived on my birthday, 29th Jan 2018. Denim blue, looks great. Only had one run out but very pleased with it, except my wife reckons that it starts vibrating above about 60mph. I can't feel it while I'm driving but she's adamant it's there. Anyone else had this?

I've had my SE technology for just over 3 weeks (700 miles) and haven't noticed any vibration, even when it's in 2 cylinder mode.

Am really pleased with the car, it's quite different after 3 yetis, it's quite responsive and is averaging just under 46mpg.

Edited by DaveLees

Well, here I am; back on Briskoda for the first time in 6ish years...

Last time was when we had a Mk2 vRS TDI on a 62 plate.  Loved that car, but we needed something smaller so it got changed for an Ibiza FR with the 1.4 TSI engine (including the ACT).  We've enjoyed the Ibiza (especially the engine), but it's time to get back in an Octavia!

1.5 TSI SE-L ordered, in Moon white.  Should pick it up in March on an '18 plate.  Hope everyone is enjoying theirs!