Plugin Hybrid Superb

The UK's 30 million registered vehicles on the road, or 50 million even are not all used daily or even weekly, or maybe not for months.

Millions are on Car Dealers Forecourts, Auction Car Parking, workshops, Long Term Airport Parking, Hire Car Parking, people garages, drives or parked at the roadside.

Tanks of vehicles sitting with Petrol or Diesel in them, just as EV's will sit with stored electricity.

Seeing as other than Hydro Storage or converting renewable energy to hydrogen there is no good Battery Storage Facilities for surplus Electricity in the UK 

other than using Super Conductors to transfer to Norway for storage 30 Million Battery Packs in vehicles and more in Garages, Drives and Workplaces seems like 'Simply Clever' thinking.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Charging over night is fine if you have somewhere to put a charger.

What about all the people in town houses who can't even park in the same street as they live, not to mention flat dwellers. There are some terraced houses in Brighton that have been divided into four or five flats with the cars scattered everywhere at night.

When I go to the local supermarket there can be up to twenty cars waiting to refuel, how long is it going to take to clear that lot with the charging times they have at present?

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Once Diesel & Petrol, or LPG vehicles are banned you might need to use public transport, walk or cycle to the shops then if there is no suitable charging for you to have an EV.

It is not rocket science really.

I'd like to see a politician sell that idea to the public!

No one is saying the current system does not need improvement but it is not all doom and gloom that often here repeated around the place either. For example on the charge time front, these are coming down dramatically with Tesla, for example, having working prototype charges in the single minutes region instead of the current tens of minutes. These will appear commercially over the next few years so those queues will become less due to this as well as further investment in more chargers. Just imagine what people used to say about petrol cars when they first appeared (no filling stations etc.!!!!!).

On the people without drives front or can not charge at home. Well the faster charge times gets around some of this and then other options could be that most streets have street lights which have power to them so it is possible to convert these to a light/charging station.

• Like 1

People need to think for themselves then because they do not sell it to the public they pay others to do that. 

Whats wrong in Brighton with taking public transport or human power to do short trips / stop overs, 

or call that 'driverless taxi' to collect you, or the Drones / Robotic Vehicles will deliver to your door.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, dg360 said:

I was way off on this one...

154 bhp 1.4 + 114 bhp electric. Peak of 215 bhp combined. 

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/102778/new-skoda-superb-plug-in-hybrid-to-arrive-in-2019

Slightly longer range than the Passat though.

I did mention this earlier in the thread (1st page, 6th post on 11.11.2017) B)

Such a shame they are not doing what peugeot & citroen have done with their hybrids - 'normal' engine drives the front wheels and electric power drives the rear - creating a 4x4, great with the current weather. I am not sure why other manufacturers are not using this approach.

So shortly after I took my delivery of my Superb my wife was obviously now more aware of other Superbs on the road. On a trip to see her family in Wales she phoned me to comment that there was a hybrid Superb in front of her on the M6....

"Are you sure, it's a hybrid?"

"Yeah, it says so on the boot"

"Well they kept that quiet"

"Well there's a sticker, All Electric Skoda" 

True story. 

:biggrin::biggrin:

On 11/22/2017 at 12:53, facet edge said:

When I go to the local supermarket there can be up to twenty cars waiting to refuel, how long is it going to take to clear that lot with the charging times they have at present?

There is only one local supermarket with charging points and that is Sainsburys. There are 3 bays and you could never get in one. Not because there is a queue of cars waiting to charge, its because there is usually an old Toyota Pius, a Renault Clit and A N Other car filling the spaces.

The Plug in Superb is mentioned at the bottom of this official Skoda Press update (pre Geneva show info),

Superb plug in is due in 2019

There is a link to live webcast of Geneva show press launch on Tuesday 6th at 07:20 (UK time) on 2nd link

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/world-premiere-geneva-skoda-vision-x-study-combines-cng-petrol-electric-drive/

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/geneva-motor-show-2018-world-premiere-concept-study-skoda-vision-x-live-online/

Edited by SurreyJohn

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:51, Fatso said:

I did mention this earlier in the thread (1st page, 6th post on 11.11.2017) B)

I see that is a 66 plate car under the Severn bridge at Beachley.

Edited by Danny 57

28 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

I see that is a 66 plate car under the Severn bridge at Beachley.

It's a photo of their review car - see the story to the left of the picture. Just there for illustration in case anyone who reads Auto Express doesn't know what a Superb looks like:D