Fabia MK3 Engine Whine

jonboyuk

Hi all,

I've noticed that the engine, when idling (usually after a drive but not always) makes a high pitched whining sound. I swear it wasn't there when I first got the car.

I took it for a service about a month ago and mentioned this. It came back, and they said it needed a warranty repair, something to do with the fuel tank ventilation pipe! So I booked the repair in last week.

It went in and I asked them to fix an issue with the aircon too which occurred post the last service which they said they'd do at the same time. It came back, and alas, they'd fixed the aircon but there was nothing about the engine issue on the repair sheet. I called them and they claimed they had the part, but could no longer hear/see the fault so didn't bother doing the warranty repair?!! Anyway, turned it on, and there was the sound (grr).

So I think before I complain again, is it actually even a thing or is it just normal Fabia? Someone else posted this, but the videos have gone so I can't verify if it's the same issue. Link.

Finally here are my own sounds! 

When it seems okay

The dreaded whine

Whatcha guys think?

Thanks, Jon

Is that recorded outside with bonnet open or from inside the car? Mine makes similar noises from time to time.

if it’s any peace of mind, my MK III Monte TSI 90 makes a whole load of grunts, growls, whistles and sewing machine like sounds... all the way up to being so quiet I can’t even tell it’s on!

The TSI engine has a myriad of complex sensors and bits opening and closing to keep the engine in check, it doesn’t surprise me it makes different noises like you hear now and then.

Give it a good thrash down the motorway and turn the stereo up! It’s only a Fabia, enjoy its quirky ways :)

• Like 1

That link was for a change of piping from preformed convoluted piping to preformed smooth bored rubber piping to get rid of PEEP PEEP PEEP ------ ing noises when the EVAP valve was being pulsed as that ridged convoluted pipe seemed to be tuned to that frequency - I got my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS sorted out okay.  

That whine might be something else.

3 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

That link was for a change of piping from preformed convoluted piping to preformed smooth bored rubber piping to get rid of PEEP PEEP PEEP ------ ing noises when the EVAP valve was being pulsed as that ridged convoluted pipe seemed to be tuned to that frequency - I got my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS sorted out okay.  

That whine might be something else.

Do you think it should go back to the Skoda garage in that case?

I agree with Jedispooners sentiment, but this sound wasn't there when I bought it!

18 minutes ago, jonboyuk said:

Do you think it should go back to the Skoda garage in that case?

I agree with Jedispooners sentiment, but this sound wasn't there when I bought it!

I'd reckon that the noise that you are hearing is being heard "better" inside the car as the other under bonnet noises are being filtered out by the carpeting and sound proofing, so that recording taken from beside an open bonnet is not a fair presentation of what you are complaining about.  Now, if you think that it is the EVAP pipe noise, you should be able to let your garage know when exactly it is occurring, with my wife's car, it only started about one mile into a journey and at low throttle demands, for probably running without accelerating as that seemed to stop the EVAP valve from being pulsed - which makes some sense as the ECU will only allow this "maint" task to be carried out when it is convenient. So, if you can find out if there is a pattern of when and under what driving conditions this is happening, your garage might be able to solve it, though exactly why they bought in a "EVAP pipe update" kit under warranty and didn't just fit it beats me as if your car still has that ridged convoluted hard plastic pipe going to the EVAP valve, then at some time you will find that noise it causes annoying - and will request that they replace it.  When I complained about the one on my wife's Polo, I had a clear idea as to what was going on, but my VW dealer claimed not to know about anything about that issue, after they gave in and talked to VW UK, a kit was supplied from Germany within 10 days(!) and fitted, but even when handing the car over for that warranty work, the service tech still needed me to explain how/when I had heard it and if I was listening to it from under the bonnet, well I advised them that I had not as that would have been a very bad idea - ie me sitting on the front of the car with the bonnet open while my wife drove down the road, so they just fitted it and the noise stopped.

I totally endorse the idea that these 1.2TSI 16V engines are committed to making lots of noises, probably more noises than all your previous cars put together, but they do seem to work okay. (touch wood)

My fabia developed an intermittent whine like that from about 1 year old.

When it was present, it would stop if I switched the fan off and return with the fan back on. It sounded like a very pure whistle tone.

I changed cars before I got around to having it looked at but I always presumed it was a noisy fan resistor.

7 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I'd reckon that the noise that you are hearing is being heard "better" inside the car as the other under bonnet noises are being filtered out by the carpeting and sound proofing, so that recording taken from beside an open bonnet is not a fair presentation of what you are complaining about. 

The bonnet wasn't open and you can only hear the sound from outside! I see what you're saying so I'll give Skoda a hard nudge!

7 hours ago, dc63 said:

My fabia developed an intermittent whine like that from about 1 year old.

When it was present, it would stop if I switched the fan off and return with the fan back on. It sounded like a very pure whistle tone.

I changed cars before I got around to having it looked at but I always presumed it was a noisy fan resistor.

Yea it's a developed fault but it's there most of the time. I'm just annoyed because they identified the problem during my service. Ordered a part. Took the car. Refused to fit anything. Gave it back?! Just annoyed really since the sound is still blatantly there. I think given the comments here I'm just going to return it again for the repair they were supposed to do in the first instance!

• 1 month later...