Cold air for 3 miles

Any suggestions on potential fault. After three miles of cold air coming from the vents it starts to emit warm air. I have the system in auto but putting into air con makes no difference.

What car?

How long since it’s last run?

ive had both the 1.6 and 2.0 diesel and on a cold Monday morning when the car has been stood all weekend 2 - 3 miles sounds about normal to me. 

Afaik all tsi engines have a dual cooling circuit with an electromagnetic controlled water pump that can switch off the cabin heating circuit. This is so the engine heats up rapidly from a cold start. Its only supposed to do that when no cabin heat is desired. My experience however with a mk ii suggests the engine software can default to this engine only heat up mode even when controls are set to warm. IIRC whacking the heat up to max plus some fan on even for a short while, resets it and heat is restored.

I thought that the TSI cooling circuits were biassed initially  around the combustion chambers and exhaust, such that a fast warm up of a coolant circuit, was achieved, which also benefitted the cabin heater?

If this is correct, then there is a possible fault with the above vehicle.

So can other 1.4TSI, maybe even other 2.0TSI, but what was the air temperature that happens at, does it happen at 4*oC.

Because this last night at below freezing my 1.4 TSI Twincharger took 6 miles to put out heat.

Car should be cold again, i will see how many miles it takes starting at 2*oC this morning.

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations 

Edited by AwaoffSki

I guess the question is more about climate system behaviour rather than warm-up times, no?

The morning & evening temperature here has been -5 to 0 lately.

I have my climate system set to auto with "light" setting and AC is always enabled.

When I start the car & the engine is cold, the forward vents dont blow any air & instead it is directed to the window & floor.

As the engine warms up  the heat then blended automatically from the front vents.

This works really well for me & I dont feel any cold air blowing on be at all.

As there is no auxilary electrical heater unless you get the option, this compromise works very well for me.

Simply Clever...

For a diesel the climate system warms up very well, although that may be due to the broken water-pump which I'm waiting to be replaced....

The EA888 gen3 engine has a system that heats the water in the engine block first, then opens the circuit to the heater. Only after it reaches temp does it then open the circuit to the radiator.

How long it will take to get to the temperature that opens the heater circuit will obviously depend on lots of things, outside air temp, starting engine temp and how much heat (throttle) you are giving it.

Mine (without the supplementary electric element) is usually pushing heat through the heater within the first mile even when pottering in traffic. However if it is really cold and it has been standing, 3 miles does not sound like a problem to me.

That's why I have heated seats and windscreen :biggrin:

On another machine I have a Webasto :emoticon-0157-sun:

Today I manually opened the middle face level vents before firing up. The vent air was perceptibly above ambient within 300m. But, the temperature gauge had only reached 80C after 2 miles after I then switched to AUTO and 22C. I'm satisfied that the heating works well before the whole engine is warmed up.

Coolant temp at an indicated 80*oC in 2 miles is good, what was the Air or Ground temp at the time?

(The whole engine is not heated up, just the coolant, the oil heats up a good while later to efficient operating temperature.)

When you de-ice a car do you open the door, start the engine put on heated rear screen and mirrors then scrape or use deicer.

Or do you clear the windscreen and windows then start the car and drive off?

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

How do you get the oil temp to above 85*oC in 3 miles?  Even an indicated oil temp above 85*oC.

Is your car in a heated garage or do you have an engine pre-heater.

In a VRS press the right foot (Hard)

My old 1.3 felica had the quickest to warm up heaters I have ever known, within quater of a mile or less than 1 min of driving it was throwing out hit air even in winter after standing all night. It used to baffle me how it could possibly warm the water and get it to the heater matrix that quick.

Edited by POWYSWALES
Edit

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Today I manually opened the middle face level vents before firing up. The vent air was perceptibly above ambient within 300m. But, the temperature gauge had only reached 80C after 2 miles after I then switched to AUTO and 22C. I'm satisfied that the heating works well before the whole engine is warmed up.

I believe the heating system works slightly differently on the 1.4 EA211 to the 2.0 EA888 that the OP has

1 hour ago, POWYSWALES said:

My old 1.3 felica had the quickest to warm up heaters I have ever known, within quater of a mile or less than 1 min of driving it was throwing out hit air even in winter after standing all night. It used to baffle me how it could possibly warm the water and get it to the heater matrix that quick.

The good old pre- VAG Skoda aluminium engine aaah

On 23/11/2017 at 17:48, flybynite said:

I believe the heating system works slightly differently on the 1.4 EA211 to the 2.0 EA888 that the OP has

Thanks for that, I had assumed the cooling strategy was the same on all TSI engines. I was referring to the dashboard coolant temperature gauge, reaching 85C when the external ambient was 5C. I rarely see that gauge indicating below 90C , so it normally warms up even faster.

15 minutes ago, gregoir said:

I was referring to the dashboard coolant temperature gauge, reaching 85C when the external ambient was 5C. I rarely see that gauge indicating below 90C , so it normally warms up even faster.

The dashboard coolant temperature gauge isn't an accurate indication of actual coolant temperature, it will indicate 90C (or thereabouts) over a wide range of actual coolant temperature (maybe as much as 70C to 110C). Why? To stop owners "worrying" when the gauge indicated above 90C purely because it was a hot day or you had just climbed a mountain pass, so VAG have written the instrument software to show 90C whenever the engine is "warm" but not "hot".