Power steering

Anzio

The power steering light came on yellow this morning, but only when I turn my lights to dipped. Lights off no warning light. Anyone had this, or knows what it could be? 2010 2Ltr Tdi SE 4x4

15 minutes ago, Anzio said:

The power steering light came on yellow this morning, but only when I turn my lights to dipped. Lights off no warning light. Anyone had this, or knows what it could be? 2010 2Ltr Tdi SE 4x4

Battery low on charge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

You almost certainly have electromechanical power steering... There is no fluid :)

I was thinking it was the same system electric hydraulic as on my Fabia.  :blush:

3 hours ago, langers2k said:

You almost certainly have electromechanical power steering... There is no fluid :)

I thought it was as I've never noticed a reservoir when doing jobs. I've just come back after a 10 mile drive, no light showing with lights off, but as soon as I switch dipped beam on the yellow steering wheel warning light comes on, it's got me baffled. Steering is just as normal.

38 minutes ago, Wino said:

Try putting a different electrical load on instead of headlights, rear screen heater for example; see if that has the same effect, or not.

^^This^^ 

I'm sure I've read in another thread somewhere (maybe Octy or Superb) that the high electrical load taken by power steering can show up the initial signs of a failing battery by randomly lighting up a warning light.

13 minutes ago, Robjon said:

^^This^^ 

I'm sure I've read in another thread somewhere (maybe Octy or Superb) that the high electrical load taken by power steering can show up the initial signs of a failing battery by randomly lighting up a warning light.

+1 I had this on my old Fabia VRS. It was the battery.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I tried different electrical loads but made no difference. Will probably have to get local garage to to run a fault check. My battery is spot on

If the battery is good and it's only bringing the fault light on with headlights and no other loads I don't know how it could be but it sounds like a classic earth fault somewhere.

18 hours ago, langers2k said:

Could just be a fault in the instrument cluster...

A VCDS scan would be a good start if you can find a local member to help :)

This is now my favourite hypothesis and course of action.

52 minutes ago, Anzio said:

Yes, one of the first things I checked.

Sorry, but how did you check it?
We have had numerous reports on here in the past with people saying the same thing, but they haven't been checking their battery correctly.

When did you do that?

To do a proper test you need to check the "resting voltage", which needs to be done a couple of hours after the car has been left standing, such as first thing in the morning. If it is below 11.8v then your battery is on it's way out.