First Car 'Mods'

Aleskoda

Hi All, 

I own a 1.9 Sdi Estate (already preempting the jokes) but I am keen to get into some light modifications, more for learning purposes but also maybe to help the car look a bit more respectful on the road. 

At the moment it is totally bog standard, as it is a first car performance mods should be declared, however I quized my insurance company on putting other skoda parts on e.g. some of the 5 spoke alloys often found on other models and the operator said she was not sure, as they are official skoda parts. Any ideas guys ? or any modifications that can help smarten the combi shape up. probs should start with removing the SDI badge lol. 

Thanks Again Guys !!

If your not wanting to have to declare mods then youd have to stick to things that were options from factory.

Maybe 16 inch alloys

Other than that embrace the image and get a tartan blanket and a westie.

For the record I have a Fabia so that's not a buuuuurn. Just a kinda may as well leave it and enjoy the economy.

She may want a gearbox at some point so keep the monies.

One thing I've learned over the years

You NEVER get mods money back.

As regards learning, go for servicing and suspension repairs and stuff, best way to learn.

Spend your money on a big halfords advanced tool kit as the sales are pretty good and the kit will see you through most any jobs the Fabia Wil throw at you

You will still need to declare alloy wheels even if they are an option. I had 15" alloys fitted to my 1st skoda and they cost £25 extra to add to my insurance.

Get some good tyres fitted and that will give you a performance advantage straight away.

Engine wise there is very little you can do to achieve more power on the SDI so i would just leave it alone.

Its up to you what mods you want to do, interior there is quite a bit which could be done, tinted windows, led bulbs etc

There is nothing you can do to improve performance on an SDI.

All you can do is improve the handling and grip as already stated here, the very first thing I would do is replace the console bushes with solid bushes, this dramatically improves the steering and handling of the car without being a declarable 'mod'.

@Lofty79 actually just bought a blanket to protect the back seats lol. @clarendon462 Yea i wasnt planning on tuning engine, more just mods to tidy interior/exterior probs a daft question, but interior wise, are all the mounts for other interiors the same thru the fabia range the same e.g. seat rails if I wanted to put a new seat in. would they also be the same from the vw/seat ranges too?  interior colour lighting im not too sure a lot of the taxis in my area have a nice cool blue are those just after market from ebay do you rekon? 

You need 2 of these for the interior map lights

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Error-Free-T10-W5W-501-LED-Bulbs-SMD-Car-Side-Interior-Lights-Wedge-Lamp-Canbus/232494560932?hash=item3621c176a4:m:mSelECrmxDB1HVLjoI3m57w

also can use one in the boot light i think if its the same as the hatchback

Then the centre vanity light and rear 2 use one of these in 39mm size:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C5W-Car-Bulb-LED-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-COB-Xenon-White-Festoon-Number-Plate-Interior/232494717651?hash=item3621c3dad3:m:mROqw3r2DRD8y2GwPUI_IEw

The glovebox uses a smaller version like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-30-31mm-FESTOON-LED-SMD-CAR-LIGHT-LAMP-BULB-CANBUS-NO-ERROR-XENON-WHITE-269/152240581697?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170912101845%26meid%3De3767950daaa476ba7cc996c6f0da50b%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

That will give you a nice crisp white interior to modernise it

You could fit LED number plate and sidelight bulbs if you wanted as well

As for seats, yes any fabia seats from mk1 or 2 will fit front and rear.

Polo and ibiza are also same

Get some decent tyres is number one priority. After than probably sort the suspension.

My first car was a Felicia 1.3. One of the front McPherson struts rusted through, and so I “uprated” all 4 corners with Bilstein B4 shocks. They aren’t desperately expensive, improved the handling and most importantly from an insurance point of view, Admiral accepted them as just updated standard parts rather than performance upgrades and so didn’t increase my premium!

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/shock-absorbers/car/skoda/fabia-00-07/2004/1-9d/bilstein-b4-gas-shock-absorber-front-2

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/shock-absorbers/car/skoda/fabia-00-07/2004/1-9d/bilstein-b4-gas-shock-absorber-rear

If you can afford it maby a rear antiroll bar (assume this fits to the estate as it does the hatchback?)

Good luck!

Edited by Clarke2744

32 minutes ago, Clarke2744 said:

My first car was a Felicia 1.3. One of the front McPherson struts rusted through,

Sounds familiar. My mate had a Felicia from new and eventually the front struts collapsed because there was no drain holes in the strut spring seats and they rotted away.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Sounds familiar. My mate had a Felicia from new and eventually the front struts collapsed because there was no drain holes in the strut spring seats and they rotted away.

Acts as a great excuse to uprate them ;) 

• Like 1