Front Assist Sensor impaired

On a long trip on the M40/M6 yesterday we encountered many heavy snow showers lasting about 10 minutes each. On each occasion after snowfall of about 8 minutes the  above warning came up and I lost my ACC. After the snow stopped and the outside temperature rose a degree or two the warning disappeared and my ACC returned

I assume this is a build up of ice on the sensor although looking at the front of the car there isn't a great deal for the snow to stick to assuming that the radar is mounted behind the blank plastic area centred on the grille below the bonnet badge.

When the ACC was working I found it a pleasure to use with barely a necessity to touch either the brake or accelerator for many miles between the snow showers. Despite the snow showers I found it a much more relaxed drive.

It is why people living way up north sometimes prefer normal cruise control as opposed to ACC.  It is also why Skoda have started putting the sensor higher up in the grille on the Superb and the FL (and making it smooth shiny black)

It has done it a couple of times to me but it does not overshadow the fact that I personally find it one of the most useful bits of kit that actually works.

Unfortunately same on my Mk 3 Superb. It seems to take little more than a flurry of snow to kill the ACC. Bearing in mind it snows quite a lot in the Czech Republic, you would think they’d have a more robust location for it!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 1

I have the same often in the snow in Switzerland and once in the autumn with a collection of leaves blocking the sensor.

On the pre-FL models I believe the ACC plate is heated to prevent icing/blocking but in constant snow I guess its almost impossible to keep a recess like this clear of snow even with heating.

Whilst its sometimes annoying, I don't think its a bad thing as in Snowy/icy conditions there comes a limit when ACC shouldnt really be used.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue for me with a Mk3 Superb, inactive Front assist during a long motorway journey. Cleaned the car, no joy. Spoke to Skoda dealer, £450 to get it calibrated - this is a joke right? then car is 12 months old and under warranty and you want me to pay you £450 for your delicate sensor? Some one please tell me this is a joke.....