New winter tyres on 16" alloys but now my ESP, ABS and tyre pressure lights are illuminating!

I've been taking forum advice on the best size of winter tyres/alloys for my Mk2 vRS Octavia.  I have picked up a really nice set of Audi 16" alloys and found some  205/55R16 tyres ( Hankook Winter i'cept evo2) at a reasonable price.  

But!

Now the ABS, ESP and tyre pressure lights are constantly illuminated!  I have tried using the tyre pressure reset button (having first made sure the tyre pressures were all the same), but the lights just pop back on.

I have a VAG code reader which I will plug in tomorrow, but would appreciate any additional advice.

Am particularly concerned because I 'tested' the ABS this evening and it doesn't appear to be working........I'm assuming the ESP has done the same?

Isn’t there an option in the maxi dot screens to tick for winter tyres. Most likely you have a different circumference tyre outside the margin for error. 

Edited by CWARD

22 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Isn’t there an option in the maxi dot screens to tick for winter tyres. Most likely you have a different circumference tyre outside the margin for error. 

23 minutes ago, CWARD said:

sn’t there an option in the maxi dot screens to tick for winter tyres. Most likely you have a different circumference tyre outside the margin for error. 

Not sure I have an option to do this?  Could you explain?  I have a Mk2 vRS.....this sounds like something I might be able to do on something a bit newer (ie with a screen!), but am open to suggestions?

Have you checked that your new Alloys were fitted with TPMS monitoring valves not standard ones ?

Ignore the above, think its the indirect system which monitors via abs etc sensors

Scott

Edited by smc998

10 hours ago, john999boy said:

The 'winter tyres option' is just to set the max speed warning and not really relevant in this instance.

Didn't realise that. I just fitted mine and they worked. In that case what Brad said damaged wheel speed sensor or ring, get it to someone with VCDS to see what corner has the problem.

2 hours ago, smc998 said:

Have you checked that your new Alloys were fitted with TPMS monitoring valves not standard ones ?

Ignore the above, think its the indirect system which monitors via abs etc sensors

Scott

Hi Scott. TBH I didn't even know about TPS. Looking at the price of them I doubt very much they were fitted. .....but are you saying ignore this?

The TPMS  system fitted to the MKII worked by calculating the rotation of the wheel via various sensors. It doesn't detect a loss of pressure, just that a wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others, which  would suggest a possible loss of pressure in the tyre*. 

You don't need special TPMS valves, your bof standard ones will suffice. 

Strangely, the system was not available on  the Scout. 

*as always other sources/causes of differing rotation are available! 

3 hours ago, intheshed said:

Hi Scott. TBH I didn't even know about TPS. Looking at the price of them I doubt very much they were fitted. .....but are you saying ignore this?

Yes ignore as Mk11's use the speed differential to indicate a possible low tyre pressure, unable to delete comment after I made it and realised not fitted 

Also worth checking that none of the leads have been pulled off/damaged when wheels being changed .

Scott

1 hour ago, intheshed said:

Finally got the VAG code reader plugged in:  G46 Rear Left sensor 003 mechanical failure.

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

Guess I'll be taking the wheel off on Saturday!

I hope it is an easy fix. I thought the sensor ring was inside the wheel hub. I do remember that it was around £400 for a Skoda dealer to sort it out and that was about 4-5 years ago. 

Clear the fault. If you then swap the sensor from right rear with the left, take the car for drive after the faults light up again take another code reading. If it now says right rear then you know it’s the sensor and you can replace this yourself, otherwise it’s the ring at fault