Superb vs Octavia is Octy actually larger

Can someone settle an odd one for me. When purchasing the Superb to replace the Fabia I thought it was larger than the Octy 2 I have.

Having looked at the stats on Autotraders cars for sale it seems the Superb 2 is not as wide as the Octy2. This is perhaps further quantified by the fact the child high back booster seats sit just by the belt buckles in one and the kids have problems belting up and no such issues in the Octy.

I really must have been spoiled with the Octy because I know it's huge now. Boot and load area been used a lot over my 9 odd years ownership. 

How about the diffence in length and width of a the Octy2 hatch and estate, not much in the litres seats down between them. 

Sorry for all the questions. When the Octy2 gives up the ghost wondering what it should be replaced with as well. 

3 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

The boot liner from my Octy 2 fitted almost exactly into the boot of my Superh Hatch Mk2.

Rear legroom in the Superb was larger than the Octy.

I can't argue the leg room in the rear of the Superb is amazing. 

I have the Octy hatch and Superb Combi/estate. 

• Like 1

I've had 2 Octavias and 1 Superb. I feel that the cargo space in the Octavia is larger than in the Superb but overall I prefer the Superb for its interior space. It suits my purposes. Downside - the Superb Elegance has too many gadgets to go wrong (YES! they do!!). Cost of ownership is much more than for the Octavias. I accept that I'm not comparing "like for like" as my Octys were mid-range models and the Superb is nearer to top of the range but I'm only expressing my own views.

Happy Christmas,

Drefaldwyn

1 hour ago, drefaldwyn said:

I've had 2 Octavias and 1 Superb. I feel that the cargo space in the Octavia is larger than in the Superb but overall I prefer the Superb for its interior space. It suits my purposes. Downside - the Superb Elegance has too many gadgets to go wrong (YES! they do!!). Cost of ownership is much more than for the Octavias. I accept that I'm not comparing "like for like" as my Octys were mid-range models and the Superb is nearer to top of the range but I'm only expressing my own views.

Happy Christmas,

Drefaldwyn

Yes agreed the Octy has run into starship miles with not many issues. But the Superb with all its Elegance and L&K pack toys is such a nice place to be. I hope they don't all break for me. 

Cargo wise when when going to the airport the Superb won and swallowed up the family cases seats up better than the Octy. The estate part won over the hatch then. 

Merry Christmas 

1 hour ago, puffingbilly said:

I am pretty sure the superb is a bit wider 30 or 40mm and longer 100mm than the Oct , rear leg room is huge. 

I am hoping someone can provide some official stats from other than Autotrader as I feel they must be wrong. 

10 hours ago, kevberlin said:

Superb 2 is 264mm longer than Octy 2

Superb 2 is 9mm narrower than Octy 2.

I have not had the tape measure out but the stats I found are 

length width 

4572.   1973 Octy 2 hatch

4572.   1769 Octy 2 estate 

4838.   1817 Superb estate 2

By the comments on the Octy 2 the size is not much different hatch vs estate and the litres of space 1455 vs 1655 maybe shows it. Where Superb has 1865 litres further backs up , it's  a large load lugger. 

I just want to know if these stats are right. 

The advantage of the Superb estate is ability to load for me. But the hatch feels more secure with the Octy hatch as the load height is topped off by a parcel shelf,  therfore also higher. 

Sorry I can't be specific but I might as well add my findings.  When looking at the Superb estate I had the tape measure with me and found the Superb boot was marginally larger than the Octavia estate, and concluded the boot size with the seats up are almost the same.  Where you gain is the large difference in rear legroom, which of course translates to a much larger cargo space on the Superb estate when the seats are down.  I ended up going for the Superb as we have two young kids both in car seats and the extra rear legroom greatly helps with the faffing around getting the kids in their seats!  It has proved an amazing car and easily handles the vast amount of stuff we throw in it for trips away.  Perhaps in a few years an Octavia will be my choice but it would definitely stick with an estate....  Cheers

• Like 2

I am moving from an Octavia II to superb III since kids are getting bigger so need more leg room in rear especially since I am 6'4" so not much room behind me in the Octy. Do not need more boot space but the fact I can sit comfortably in the rear behind the seat set for me at the front is brilliant.

1 hour ago, PSM said:

I am moving from an Octavia II to superb III since kids are getting bigger so need more leg room in rear especially since I am 6'4" so not much room behind me in the Octy. Do not need more boot space but the fact I can sit comfortably in the rear behind the seat set for me at the front is brilliant.

Leg room for the rear is really something in the Superb. Even the Octy is good when coming from a smaller category of motor. Really helped when kids were younger and legs not long enough to point to the floor. Should have got a Superb earlier 

I recently had this debate with myself as I wanted an Octavia VRS manual Estate. In the end I took my wife and 3 kids to a dealer and tried out both, alongside each other. There was no competition, Superb ruled out the Octavia so much so that I was prepared to compromise to an Auto to get the VRS engine I wanted in the Superb. That said, in the end the DSG is much less a compromise than I imagined...

• Like 2

It's Skoda's forte, they take a regular VW chassis and either stretch them or simply add longer rear overhangs to increase rear passenger space and / or bigger boots.

It is (or at least used to be) their niche.

The Octavia is a Golf with a bigger boot.

The Superb is a stretched Passat.

The disadvantage though is that whilst getting a longer car you don't gain any width making Skoda's generally long but thin!

On 23/12/2017 at 07:12, gav_is_con said:

I have not had the tape measure out but the stats I found are 

length width 

4572.   1769 Octy 2 estate 

4838.   1817 Superb estate 2

By the comments on the Octy 2 the size is not much different hatch vs estate and the litres of space 1455 vs 1655 maybe shows it. Where Superb has 1865 litres further backs up , it's  a large load lugger. 

I just want to know if these stats are right. 

The advantage of the Superb estate is ability to load for me. But the hatch feels more secure with the Octy hatch as the load height is topped off by a parcel shelf,  therfore also higher. 

I got

4572.   1973 Octy 2 estate 

4833.   2009 Superb estate 2

From Parkers

On 23/12/2017 at 07:12, gav_is_con said:

My previous Superb estate easily beat an Octavia estate for space.  Proven on an airport run where 2 huge plus 2 small cases fitted the Superb boot, but didn’t all fit the Octavia boot.

As above, the rear seat leg room is first class.

I’ll concede there are 1 or 2 cars with wider rear seats. An Alhambra or S Max will take 3 car seats.

On 12/30/2017 at 13:21, silver1011 said:

It's Skoda's forte, they take a regular VW chassis and either stretch them or simply add longer rear overhangs to increase rear passenger space and / or bigger boots.

It is (or at least used to be) their niche.

The Octavia is a Golf with a bigger boot.

The Superb is a stretched Passat.

The disadvantage though is that whilst getting a longer car you don't gain any width making Skoda's generally long but thin!

For us, the lack of excess width is a plus-point, the Superb 2 has great leg-room room & space for 4 people, but it's too narrow for

the unwanted 3rd passenger. (We are far too old to worry about child seats, the grandchildren are in their mid-teens.....)

It's very easy to to fit into narrow parking space, big exterior mirrors & parking sensors do help, & not too long for our garage + it's  much nicer to live with than the Octy 2 vRS.

This opinion may not be popular, but SWMBO & I were running both cars for for 3 years with ample opportunity to compare their good & bad points.

FWIW I still have the Superb, & I do rather hanker after another Golf R for myself, but if that does happen the EOS will be the trade-in rather than the ancient Superb...... 

Today's Skodas aren't really stretched VW's, the MQB "platform" is really a set of variable building blocks, with sizes from the New Polo, the Leon & Golf right up to the Arteon, the Tiguan Allroad & Superb 3. 

DC 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 25/12/2017 at 21:16, JamesBrown said:

I recently had this debate with myself as I wanted an Octavia VRS manual Estate. In the end I took my wife and 3 kids to a dealer and tried out both, alongside each other. There was no competition, Superb ruled out the Octavia so much so that I was prepared to compromise to an Auto to get the VRS engine I wanted in the Superb. That said, in the end the DSG is much less a compromise than I imagined...

I know this is quite an old post.. but I wanted to know, other than the leg room whats the width of the seats like? I'm looking at another car, currently have an octavia estate but the kids are squashed in the back. Are the rear seats any wider?