Replacing chrome grill surround 2017 face-lift vrs

Hey everyone first post here so sorry if this has been covered but did have a look first, only seen posts for older models

Has anyone replaced the chrome grill surround with the black version on the 2017 face-lift octavia vrs

Is it a pain to do and where's the best place to get the black surround and cost roughly 

Thanks in advance for any info

Bumper off job to remove the surround

easier to replace the chrome one with a new black one.

In the old days of mk2 ownership, we used to strip the chrome off with bleach and spray them. 

No no need to now, with the availability of Off the shelf black ones.

Still maintain wrapping is your best bet.

Had it done in situ on my last one, cost me £40 professionally done, took less than an hour and looked as good as a new black version.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just tried swapping my FL grille surround off - don't mind breaking the original chrome surround, but really can't find any way of loosening the clips without really breaking things :-(

Is there a way to loosen off the bumper enough, maybe to get inside pair of lights out of the way, without undoing all the under tray and wheel arch bolts? Thinking that might give me enough access to reach more clips to prise/break off.

On 31/03/2018 at 17:55, MattChr said:

Just tried swapping my FL grille surround off - don't mind breaking the original chrome surround, but really can't find any way of loosening the clips without really breaking things :-(

Is there a way to loosen off the bumper enough, maybe to get inside pair of lights out of the way, without undoing all the under tray and wheel arch bolts? Thinking that might give me enough access to reach more clips to prise/break off.

I've not tried it yet, was hoping I could get the chrome one off without taking the bumper off.

Don't mind breaking the chrome one as long as there's no damage to the grill for the new one going back on.

Let me know how you get on

Edited by DeepblueB

10 minutes ago, DeepblueB said:

I've got the face-lift, wonder if it will be as easy to break out with no damage to bumper etc, chrome trim looks a bit chunkier, might not be tho could just be me

looking at the replacement honeycomb grill and the surround for the FL, the clips are identical. There's little or no chance of getting to the surround clips without the bumper off. 

There was a good video on youtube which showed someone actually removing the surround on a pre FL, but I'll be blowed if I can find it now.  It wasn't this one, but this does give a fair indication of what to do:

Gaz

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a look and a brief go, but chickened out as it seems quite chunky, tightly secured and almost no flex. Felt like I was going to damage the bumper, rather than break the grille.

Pretty busy with work and kids now so don't think I'll get the chance in a while :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Done mines today, looks 10 times better, there is no way that you can get it off in one piece and to be fair I don't think you would even with taken the bumper off. 

I took the 4 torx head screws out along the scuttle panel which Gives you a little more access. 

Started at the top right hand corner, got it unclipped down the side of the light from behind using hook tools then had to apply some leverage to break the first top clip as this is encapsulated at the back so you cant get to it, the grill broke when trying to free the next clip so it was just a case of breaking it off In pieces, most times it snapped off right at the next clip so you could get a small sharp hook in to push that clip down and free it, bend the grill out and it snapped at next clip and so on.

Just be careful you don't leaver against the bumper or lights, lever under the chrome trim and you should be cool, need to be brave and go for it lol 

Once chrome surround is off make sure there are no pieces of broken plastic in the holes

Grill pushes into place with a click at the clip points, job done

Took about 30mins as was taken time, now I know what to do take about 10 lol

Good luck

_20180505_192152.JPG

_20180505_192021.JPG

Edited by DeepblueB
Pics

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can confirm that it is a quick job, the chrome snapped in to multiple pieces and the new grille clipped in nice and securely. 

I managed to complete the work with just a screwdriver for leverage and the correct head for the 4 bolts at the top of the grille for easier access. 

Also... The chrome bits can be sharp when they snap. Cut my hand twice, fortunately I have a red car!

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, have a good news. I just replaced chrome grill on my octavia 3 facelift without breaking it. Working time 1 hour.  At first you need unscrew 4 torxes from top cover. Then you can this cover lift up a litle bit. Then you must uscrew next 6 torxes thats holding this cover.   After that you can take down top cover. Final - you have to unclick all holders (carefully).  Put on new grill is very easy and fast.

• Like 1

I've got a FL. To be honest, taking the bumper off isn't as bad a job as it sounds.

I replaced the entire grille for a gloss black one so did it while the bumper was off and now have the chrome in tact for when I sell the car.

Superskoda is where I got mine from for 99 EUR!!!!! but have seem Hortons Skoda sell it for 50 quid - I think anyway, unless it's a preface one

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 05/05/2018 at 19:15, DeepblueB said:

Done mines today, looks 10 times better, there is no way that you can get it off in one piece and to be fair I don't think you would even with taken the bumper off. 

I took the 4 torx head screws out along the scuttle panel which Gives you a little more access. 

Started at the top right hand corner, got it unclipped down the side of the light from behind using hook tools then had to apply some leverage to break the first top clip as this is encapsulated at the back so you cant get to it, the grill broke when trying to free the next clip so it was just a case of breaking it off In pieces, most times it snapped off right at the next clip so you could get a small sharp hook in to push that clip down and free it, bend the grill out and it snapped at next clip and so on.

Just be careful you don't leaver against the bumper or lights, lever under the chrome trim and you should be cool, need to be brave and go for it lol 

Once chrome surround is off make sure there are no pieces of broken plastic in the holes

Grill pushes into place with a click at the clip points, job done

Took about 30mins as was taken time, now I know what to do take about 10 lol

Good luck

_20180505_192152.JPG

_20180505_192021.JPG

Hello, can't imagine you'll see this now as a fair few years old but do you remember where you got your trim from?

I also have a face-lift vrs exactly same colour as yours and estate too!

Thanks

On 21/05/2021 at 15:20, Tonythesmoke said:

Hi, is anyone able to advise the best place to order the black facelift grill trim from in the UK? Thanks 

Did you find one in the end in the UK? I'm looking too, did see at hortons skoda but since sold out it seems.

Cheers