Security and theft rating - your thoughts

Hi All. 

I have collected my MK3 2015 (65) VRS TDI with DSG 6 speed and Black Pack which I now have a day earlier than expected but a bonus nonetheless.

How easy are these to pinch? Mine is key operated so assume not as easy as Audi S models and ford Focus ST and RSs :crying: with the keyless start and ODB plug and play kits these criminals use.

But even so can the key be scanned from close range to copy the signal to a receiver and gain access to vehicle and then they do there thing or would they need a physical key - so a home breach would be required.

Probably being paranoid :speechless: but just wanted to check what you guys have in place to keep your own vehicles safe.

Thanks in advance and apologies to mods if this has already been covered not filed appropriately.

From what I read last year(?) about the VAG latest (mqb platform) remote codes, the remote fob is reasonably secure. The weak point for me is the quietness of the locking process, you need to watch for the indicator flash for confirmation (in case a door is not shut properly etc). VCDS can enable the chirp. Not sure about how easy the cars are to steal once a window is broken / access to ODB port etc (need key + immobiliser override?) but suspect highest risk is through keys being stolen. Kessey is a different matter. 

I think this is the article to read: https://www.wired.com/2016/08/oh-good-new-hack-can-unlock-100-million-volkswagens/ (go to the source paper, note the cars affected were mostly older models)

Edited by AndyO2

I wouldn't worry about it, they are safe enough and not particularly targeted compared to some of the more premium stuff. 

As you don't have Kessy then the most likely scenario is a break in and it being nicked with the keys.

• Like 1

My 230 is locked and sat on the Drive, the keys are placed in ********.  If anyone broke in and stole my keys and took the car I'd be gutted.

If someone really wants it wether it be an M3, RS6, An Aston or a Roller, if they want it they will take it. Providing myself and Mrs G are safe all is well, now if they took my little Jack Russell, well thats a different story............

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

My 230 is locked and sat on the Drive, the keys are placed in ********.  If anyone broke in and stole my keys and took the car I'd be gutted.

If someone really wants it wether it be an M3, RS6, An Aston or a Roller, if they want it they will take it. Providing myself and Mrs G are safe all is well, now if they took my little Jack Russell, well thats a different story............

1 minute ago, Stuart-h said:

don't know if its worthwhile getting a Thatcham tracker fitted?

To the Jack Russell? Might be......

It’s pretty easy to get into any car - just smash the window and climb in.

Driving a modern car away though, that’s a different story. It’s pretty much impossible without the key, which is why house break-ins for key thefts are so prolific these days, and of course these ar**holes using things to amplify keyless entry system signals.

If a thief really wants a car, they’ll get it somehow. I’ve mentioned before, my friends car was parked on a street and was simply put on the back of a low-loader, never to be seen again.

If you’re really security conscious, there’s probably 2 things I’d recommend that won’t cost a bomb:

1) Security film on all the windows (like tint film, but clear).

2) A Disklok for the steering wheel. I remember working in Halfords years ago and losing the keys for the demo one we had on display - had to resort to an angle grinder to get it off, and that took a good 10 minutes. Not the attention you want trying to steal a car!

Edited by GoneToBeemer

Skoda vehicles not high up the thieves list as desirable, so right off that is a good security measure.

Old Mk1 Fabia vRS likely get more attention as an easy steal.

(Supposedly many housebreakers will avoid homes with a Skoda in the drive, the story being likely not much worth taking in the place...)

If a toe rag with the gear and an idea wants your car they will be taking it.

2 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

(Supposedly many housebreakers will avoid homes with a Skoda in the drive, the story being likely not much worth taking in the place...)

Gonna try this next time my contents insurance comes up for renewal B)