Shebs mk1 VRS

sheb

Just a quick note about the rear centre seatbelt. 

Make sure you pull it out and lock it off/ tie it somehow.

if it retracts you have to put the seat in  so it unlocks to pull it back out and then take the seat back out to bolt the belt back in.  

Edited by sheb
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Another exciting episode in my car maintainence thread.

cambelt and water pump number 4 fitted today.

The car ticked over to 123000 miles on the drive home aswell.

I might have to go and have a nap to recover.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time for another not exciting update. 

My MOT in May (passed) signalled it was tyre time.

Luckily I had a full set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5 sat in the garage that I bought at the end of last year on offer somewhere, Mytyres I think.  

The Avons ZV7's have done a decent job, no complaints at 18000 miles. 

There was still a bit of meat on the fronts ( swapped back to front in January) but one gained a slow puncture in the last few weeks so I thought I may aswell get them swapped. 

Obviously I can't report any big difference yet as I've covered 6 miles but the reviews are good so we'll see. 

It also means the 17 year old bald continental spare in the boot has gone. The idea of ever having to use that didn't fill me with confidence. 

• 1 month later...

So, having now put a few miles on the new tyres I can report they are certainly an improvement over the Avons, not that they were ever bad. 

In the dry they just inspire a little more confidence but in the wet they're a big improvement with more of a feeling that they're providing much better grip on corners.

It may be down to to tread depth  but I certainly feel happier. 

On an unconnected note, I'm starting to think about a new exhaust. 

I plan on keeping this at least 3 more years and it's  still on the original system but it's on it's last legs from the cat back. 

I don't want much more noise and am not looking for more performance (it would be a bonus tho') but I'm thinking of a stainless steel upgrade. 

Ideally I'd like to keep the original tail trim to keep it looking standard so might have a look at a longlife from Tony Banks in Leeds as I've heard good things and hopefully they could do something.

Any other recommendations around the Sheffield area would be welcome. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I bit bullet and ordered a genuine exhaust from skoda. 

It cost pretty much what a stainless replacement would cost but I just decided to retain as  much originality as possible and avoid any extra noise. 

Boring old fart, I know.  

The current exhaust is original so l'm not worried about how long it might last. 

Hopefully all will be well when I collect it next week, no incorrect parts or whatever. 

I almost died when he gave me the price at first as he'd mistakenly included a new downpipe and cat. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 18:33, sheb said:

Another little job sorted today. 

I finally got round to getting an hks exhaust repair bracket fitted to the centre pipe. 

It had been welded previously but broke again last year. 

Supplied and fitted for £40 at my local and excellent Dexel. 

Considering it would have cost me £38 just for the part + postage I'm pretty happy. 

It's a hefty bit of kit and looks like it probably provides more support than the original bracket set up. 

More peace of mind. 

IMG_7901.PNG

Nice work on the car, enjoyed reading through your posts.

I know it was last year but do you have any info on where I can get one of these exhaust mounts as mine is rattling it head off.

Edit* sorry, I've just re read your post and it's says it was supplied and fitted by a garage, will carry on my search thanks haha.

Edited by RS bennn10

Went to collect my new exhaust today.

All good it seems.

All the part numbers match ETKA.

There were a few scratches on the tailpipe but they polished out fine. 

Taking it to be fitted Wednesday.

just for information in case of people searching in future I'll list the part numbers below. 

Rear silencer - 1U0 253 609A

centre silencer - 1J0 253 209Q

clamp - 1K0 253 141M

clamp - 357 253 141A

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

Edited by sheb
  • Like 4

Out of laziness and convenience I've always taken our cars to the hand wash place but we just got a nearly new black car for my other half ( i30 N line 1.4 t-gdi ) so I decided to start cleaning them myself to avoid the otherwise inevitable swirl marks. 

There's been a plus and minus to this as far as my car is concerned.

It's never been so clean. 

I even clayed and waxed it today. 

However, I'm now aware of the state of the paint and wheels.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad for a 17 year old but it's a bit depressing discovering all those blemishes you never noticed and now have to worry about.

still, scrubs up ok from 10ft. 

IMG_9187.JPG

• Like 4

Quite the little mud trap you designed there skoda. Well done.

500g per side if you're interested. 

Once well cleaned out there was no evidence of rust but I gave the area behind the flap/mud door a good coat of wax oil anyway. 

IMG_9196.JPG

• Like 1

I did the same job and was surprised as to how much muck had managed to bet behind the plastic. 

According to Colin Chapman's theory, your car should be a tad quicker now too!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

More small not exciting things.

I’ve been missing one of the plastic grommet things from my scuttle panel for I don’t know how long so decided to finally rectify that. 

It looked a bit odd at first but a coat of meguires black plastic stuff and it’s all good. 

When I’ve got time and it’s nice and warm I also have a new pollen filter to fit.

I’ve been avoiding doing it in the cold as I want to reduce the chance of snapping the scuttle, and I don’t like being cold. 

MOT time on Monday too. I’ve only done 3k miles since the last one so hopefully no new issues will arise. 

A8ACC81E-52CD-4FB1-9A75-EED0BD2F371B.jpeg

7FCE93DF-973F-4896-8E8E-4B986638DEA9.jpeg

• Like 1

So, MOT.
Failed on a couple of tiny things. 
Headlamp aim and a worn suspension bush. 

cheap fix for a 13 month MOT?

yeah, no.

while it was in there being sorted I asked them to have a look at my squeaky front brakes as although they passed the MOT ok there was definitely an issue somewhere.  

both back plates were like rusty sieves allowing crap to get everywhere and after the callipers were stripped for cleaning they found the pistons were heavily pitted. 

New callipers it is then.

At least it’s all good now and one less thing to worry about. 

Edited by sheb

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 11:14, sheb said:

Went to collect my new exhaust today.

All good it seems.

All the part numbers match ETKA.

There were a few scratches on the tailpipe but they polished out fine. 

Taking it to be fitted Wednesday.

just for information in case of people searching in future I'll list the part numbers below. 

Rear silencer - 1U0 253 609A

centre silencer - 1J0 253 209Q

clamp - 1K0 253 141M

clamp - 357 253 141A

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

Would you mind sharing how much this cost. I'm sure last time I priced it up it was over £400.